Finding the MLE for a Given Probability Using iid PDF

In summary, a Maximum Likelihood Estimator (MLE) is a statistical method used to estimate the parameters of a probability distribution based on observed data. It works by maximizing the likelihood function and assumes that the data is i.i.d. and follows a known probability distribution. The advantages of using MLE include its widespread use, consistency, and ability to handle complex data. However, it can be sensitive to outliers and may not perform well if assumptions are not met. It also relies on the choice of initial values and does not provide a measure of uncertainty for the estimated parameters.
cse63146

Homework Statement

Suppose X1...Xn are iid and have PDF [tex]f(x; \theta) = \frac{1}{\theta} e^{\frac{-x}{\theta}} \ \ \ 0<x<\infty[/tex]

Find the MLE of P(X<2).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the MLE of theta is [tex]\overline{X}[/tex]

so would [tex]P(X<2) = 1 - \frac{1}{\overline{X}} e^{\frac{-2}{\overline{X}}}[/tex]?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
nope, i think you should use the integral of pdf. the pdf is like the puntual probability of value x.

you mean:

[tex]1 - e^{\frac{-2}{\overline{X}}}[/tex]

correct, i think

Thanks.

1. What is a Maximum Likelihood Estimator (MLE)?

A Maximum Likelihood Estimator (MLE) is a statistical method used to estimate the parameters of a probability distribution based on a set of observed data. It is based on the principle of choosing the most likely values for the parameters that would have generated the observed data.

2. How does the Maximum Likelihood Estimator work?

The Maximum Likelihood Estimator works by finding the values of the parameters that maximize the likelihood function, which is a measure of how likely the observed data is to occur given a specific set of parameter values. This is typically done through an iterative process, such as the Newton-Raphson method, to find the maximum point of the likelihood function.

3. What are the assumptions of the Maximum Likelihood Estimator?

The Maximum Likelihood Estimator assumes that the data is independent and identically distributed (i.i.d.), meaning that each data point is independent of the others and is drawn from the same underlying distribution. It also assumes that the data is continuous and follows a known probability distribution.

4. What are the advantages of using the Maximum Likelihood Estimator?

The Maximum Likelihood Estimator is a widely used and well-studied method for parameter estimation. It is also consistent, meaning that as the sample size increases, the estimated parameters will converge to the true values. Additionally, it can handle complex data and can be used to compare different models.

5. What are some limitations of the Maximum Likelihood Estimator?

The Maximum Likelihood Estimator can be sensitive to outliers in the data and may not perform well if the underlying assumptions are not met. It also relies on the choice of the initial values for the parameters, and the estimation may not converge if the starting values are far from the true values. Additionally, it does not provide a measure of uncertainty for the estimated parameters.