Physics Degree/Career/College?

• Physics
  • Thread starter wmrunner24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, some interesting career choices in physics include engineering, research, and teaching. A physics degree typically requires some computer language background, but this is not always the case.
wmrunner24
So, I'm in my first physics class this year, and I find it interesting and challenging, and it seems like it would make a very satisfying career choice. So, I was wondering what some interesting career choices in physics were? I mean, there's some obvious ones, but...I'd really like to consider all options. Also, what degree would any of these careers require and what are some good schools for them?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty new to these forums but from what I've read, most physics majors requires you to have some type of computer language background to get a job in the private sector. I'm assuming it's mainly for people who only have a BS. If you get a PHD, that's probably a little different.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
wmrunner24 said:
So, I'm in my first physics class this year, and I find it interesting and challenging, and it seems like it would make a very satisfying career choice. So, I was wondering what some interesting career choices in physics were? I mean, there's some obvious ones, but...I'd really like to consider all options. Also, what degree would any of these careers require and what are some good schools for them?

Are you talking about high school physics? If so, many of the most related jobs fall under the heading of "engineering." I recommend taking a look at http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm for a very brief overview of the main types of engineering, although there is a lot more you can do with an engineering degree than what is listed on that site.

This is in addition, of course, to the careers available to physics degree holders and other related fields.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a physics degree and what can I do with it?

A physics degree is an undergraduate or graduate degree that focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. With a physics degree, you can pursue a career in a variety of fields such as research, engineering, education, and more. Physics graduates are highly sought after in industries such as technology, aerospace, and healthcare.

2. What skills are required for a physics degree/career?

Some of the key skills required for a physics degree and career include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, mathematical proficiency, critical thinking, and attention to detail. Additionally, good communication skills, both written and verbal, are important for presenting and explaining complex scientific concepts.

3. Is a physics degree difficult?

Like any other degree in the STEM field, a physics degree can be challenging. It requires a strong foundation in mathematics and a solid understanding of scientific concepts. However, with hard work, dedication, and a passion for the subject, anyone can succeed in a physics degree program.

4. What are the job prospects for physics graduates?

The job prospects for physics graduates are excellent. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in physics-related occupations is expected to grow by 7% from 2019 to 2029, faster than the average for all occupations. Physics graduates are in high demand in various industries, and their skills are transferable to many different career paths.

5. What are some top colleges for physics degrees?

Some top colleges for physics degrees include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Harvard University, Stanford University, and Princeton University. However, there are many other excellent universities and colleges that offer strong physics programs. It is important to research and find a program that aligns with your interests and goals.