Predicting Compound Formulas from Group 7 & Group 1 Elements

In summary, when predicting the chemical formula of compounds produced from a reaction between Group 7 elements and Group 1 elements, it is important to consider the valence electrons and the octet rule. The valence electrons of the Group 7 element will determine the charge on the ion it forms, while the valence electrons of the Group 1 element will determine the number of ions needed to balance the overall charge. It is also important to pay attention to the subscript numbers in the chemical formula, as they indicate the ratio of atoms in the compound. It is recommended to provide specific details and ask for clarification when seeking help on forums, as simply asking for the answer may not lead to a thorough understanding of the concept.
LatexZone

Homework Statement

Hello, could you please explain to me in simple terms how I can predict the chemical formula of the compounds produced when Group 7 elements are reacted with the elements in Group 1.

Thanks.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about chemistry already?

Well I just find it a tricky question, hah. Simply because I only get 2 markings so I fundamentally have 1 chance of correcting it before the final marking and what I had already written appareantly didn't elaborate on it enough...hence I am asking for your knowledge too so I can combine them. Thanks.

Well then tell me what you already wrote I'll get in trouble if I just give you the answer, I already have a warning to my name lol :).

Well I don't have an elaboration apparently. So what I've written won't enable you to add further information, if you know what I mean. Simply because you may mistakenly rewrite what I have got and I don't want that hehe.

We are in a stalemate lol except you are going to lose. Trust me I know the answer.

Which is what I would like to know hence my reason for asking the question here, heh.

Dude this is an extremely basic question I can't just answer it for you.

Your answer isn't going to mislead me besides you already told me it was wrong.

What's the point in this forum if the helper isn't going to provide a part of his/her knowledge..for something simple but misleading.

Once again, I've solved another one of my questions, myself..

1. How do I predict the compound formula for a combination of Group 7 and Group 1 elements?

The compound formula for a combination of Group 7 and Group 1 elements can be determined by using the crisscross rule. This rule states that the numerical charges of the ions involved in the compound should be crossed over and used as subscripts in the compound formula. For example, if a Group 7 element has a charge of -1 and a Group 1 element has a charge of +1, the compound formula would be written as M1X1, where M represents the Group 1 element and X represents the Group 7 element.

2. What are some common examples of compounds formed from Group 7 and Group 1 elements?

Some common examples of compounds formed from Group 7 and Group 1 elements include sodium chloride (NaCl), potassium iodide (KI), and lithium bromide (LiBr). These compounds are all formed from the combination of a Group 1 element (sodium, potassium, and lithium) and a Group 7 element (chlorine, iodine, and bromine).

3. Are there any exceptions to the crisscross rule when predicting compound formulas for Group 7 and Group 1 elements?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the crisscross rule. For example, when a Group 1 element combines with a Group 7 element in a 2:1 ratio, the compound formula is written as M2X. This is seen in compounds like magnesium fluoride (MgF2) and calcium chloride (CaCl2).

4. What is the significance of the numerical charges of Group 7 and Group 1 elements in predicting compound formulas?

The numerical charges of Group 7 and Group 1 elements play a crucial role in predicting compound formulas because they determine the overall charge of the compound. Group 1 elements have a charge of +1, while Group 7 elements have a charge of -1. When these elements combine, their charges must cancel out to form a neutral compound.

5. Can compounds be formed from other combinations of Group 7 and Group 1 elements besides 1:1 and 2:1 ratios?

Yes, compounds can be formed from other combinations of Group 7 and Group 1 elements besides 1:1 and 2:1 ratios. These compounds are typically formed from multiple Group 1 and/or Group 7 elements, resulting in more complex compound formulas. For example, potassium sodium chloride (KNaCl) and sodium potassium iodide (NaKI) are both compounds formed from a combination of Group 1 and Group 7 elements in a 1:1:1 ratio.