Adding 256MB RAM to Sony Vaio Laptop: Questions & Answers

In summary, the guy at COMP USA told me that I could use any size RAM in the laptop, as long as it is the same type.
qwpoi
Thanks to everyone who helped me with the last problem.

Now, I'm trying to add 256mb ram into my sony vaio laptop. It currently has 128mb.

Question 1) I heard somewhere that if you have 2 sticks of ram in a comp, they have to be exactly the same type, etc. The guy at COMP USA told me that doesn't matter, I can stick the 256 right next to the 128 and be fine. Just want to double check that.

Question 2) How do I do it? The screws are so freakin tiny, I've gone all the way down to a tiny eyeglass screw driver thing and that's still too big.

That's all for now,

Thanks all

-betsy

Computer science news on Phys.org
answer 1) No you can have different sizes of RAM sitting next to each other...

answer 2) Take it to a shop that deals with PC repairs, if you are unable to open the laptop successfully :-)

=qwpoi said:
Question 1) I heard somewhere that if you have 2 sticks of ram in a comp, they have to be exactly the same type, etc.
It used to be that way. But with SDRAM (including DDR), you don't have to.

I will say this though; take the installation seriously. Ground yourself, watch for problems, don't fiddle around with it if you can't get it in comfortably. It's a simple procedure, but man, you can really damage your computer if you do it wrong.

2. Buy a cheap precision screwdriver set - any hardware store, decent computer store, or Radio Shack will have one.

yep, walmart sells a nice lil set of screwdrivers, I'm pretty sure resist magnetism, and get very, very small. The smallest one I have looks just slightly larger then a needle.

You have to buy special RAM for laptops, then you have to pull a "door" you have under your laptop and put the module there :)

1.)

E.G. If you mix 512M PC2100 with 512M PC3700, you will still have 1024M worth of memory, however you will be limited by the speed of the PC2100. Therefore, your total memory size will be impacted, but your speed will not.

1. Can I add 256MB RAM to my Sony Vaio Laptop?

Yes, it is possible to add 256MB RAM to your Sony Vaio Laptop. However, it is important to check your laptop's specifications and compatibility before purchasing the RAM.

2. How much RAM does my Sony Vaio Laptop currently have?

You can check the amount of RAM your laptop currently has by going to the "System" section in the Control Panel or by using a system information tool. This will help you determine if you can add 256MB RAM to your laptop.

3. Is it difficult to install additional RAM on a Sony Vaio Laptop?

The difficulty level of installing additional RAM on a Sony Vaio Laptop depends on the model and the user's technical skill level. If you are not comfortable with opening and working on your laptop, it is best to seek professional help.

4. Will adding 256MB RAM improve my Sony Vaio Laptop's performance?

Yes, adding 256MB RAM can improve your laptop's performance, especially if you currently have a lower amount of RAM. It can help with multitasking, running more demanding programs, and overall speed and responsiveness of your laptop.

5. Where can I purchase 256MB RAM for my Sony Vaio Laptop?

You can purchase 256MB RAM for your Sony Vaio Laptop from various online and offline retailers. Make sure to check the compatibility with your laptop model before making a purchase.