Fluid Mechanics - Estimating Reynolds number and flow rate.

In summary: The dotted line is at Re = 2000.The question asks to find the Q at that point. So, set the friction factor to the value at the dotted line. You'll get an equation in Q. I got 0.0807.In summary, the head loss per m length due to friction in a 0.15m diameter pipe with a roughness ratio of 0.002 and carrying water at flow rate Q is approximately 25.7(Q^2). The lowest value of Reynolds number for which this result is valid is Re~ 6 x 10^5 and the corresponding flow rate is Q~ 0.0807.
jc213

Homework Statement

A pipe 0.15m in diameter has a roughness ratio (k/d) of 0.002 and carries water at a flow rate Q.

Using the moody diagram, show that at high flow rates (where the friction factor is independent of reynolds number), the head loss per m length due to friction is approx 25.7(Q^2).

Estimate the lowest value of reynolds number and hence Q for which this result is valid.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already proved the first part of the question using the darcy-weisbach formula. But now I am unsure how to use that result in order to estimate the lowest value of reynolds number and flow rate. I know it involves reading from the moody diagram and I'm fairly sure it will be an iterative process, but I am stuck on how to actually go about it.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT:

If it helps the answers I have been given are

Re~ 6 x 10^5
Q~ 0.0807

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jc, welcome to the board.
Actually, it's not iterative. You can determine On a Moody diagram like this one:
index.4.gif

There's a zone on the right where it says "complete turbulence" and the lines are roughly horizontal. Where the dotted line separates the completely turbulent zone from the transition zone is where the increase in Re no longer changes the friction factor.

1. What is the Reynolds number in fluid mechanics?

The Reynolds number is a dimensionless quantity used in fluid mechanics to predict the type of flow (laminar or turbulent) in a fluid. It is defined as the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces and is named after Osborne Reynolds, a British scientist who first described the concept.

2. How is the Reynolds number calculated?

The Reynolds number is calculated by multiplying the fluid velocity by the characteristic length of the flow (such as the pipe diameter or the length of an object) and dividing by the kinematic viscosity of the fluid. It can be expressed as Re = (ρ * V * L) / μ, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the velocity, L is the characteristic length, and μ is the dynamic viscosity.

3. What is the significance of the Reynolds number in fluid mechanics?

The Reynolds number is significant because it determines the type of flow that will occur in a fluid. A low Reynolds number indicates laminar flow, where the fluid particles move in smooth, parallel layers, while a high Reynolds number indicates turbulent flow, where the fluid particles mix and swirl in a chaotic manner.

4. How does the Reynolds number affect flow rate?

The Reynolds number does not directly affect flow rate, as it is a measure of the type of flow. However, it can indirectly influence flow rate by determining the pressure drop and frictional resistance in a fluid, which can affect the overall flow rate in a system.

5. What are the applications of estimating Reynolds number and flow rate in fluid mechanics?

Estimating Reynolds number and flow rate is important in many practical applications, such as designing pipes and ducts for efficient fluid flow, predicting drag and lift forces on objects moving through a fluid, and analyzing the performance of pumps and turbines. It is also used in industries such as aviation, automotive, and marine engineering to optimize the design of vehicles and equipment.