Interference (Constructive and Destructive)

In summary, using the constructive interference formula 2pi(Δx)/ λ + ϕ0 = m*(2pi), where ϕ0 represents the initial phase difference between the speakers, and setting m = 0, we get an expression for the wavelength as λ = 2piΔx/ϕ0. Since ϕ0 = pi for the initial phase difference of the speakers, the wavelength is 2piΔx/pi. Since the speakers are initially out of phase, m = 0 makes sense. Thus, the distance between the speakers when the sound intensity is again zero is 1.5 m, as the sound needs to travel one full wavelength to reach zero intensity.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

You are standing in front of two side by side loudspeakers playing sounds of the same frequency.

Initially you hear no sound. Then one of the speakers is moved away from you. The sound intensity increases until it reaches a maximum when the speakers are 0.75 m apart.

As the speaker continues to move away, the sound starts to decrease. What is the distance between the speakers when the sound intensity is again zero?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution manual gives this:
Find the wavelength of the sound:
2pi(Δx)/ λ + ϕ0 = m*(2pi) for constructive interference. Δx is the separation between the speakers. Since initially we heard no sound when the speakers were side by side, the speakers are out of phase and ϕ0 = pi. m= 1 because this is the first separation giving constructive interference. Solving for λ gives λ = 1.5 m.

Next use 2pi(Δx)/ λ + ϕ0 = (m + 0.5)*(2pi) for destructive interference. Using m = 1 because this is the second time we're seeing destructive interference, solve for Δx to get Δx = 1.5 m.

What I don't understand is why m = 1 for the first separation giving constructive interference. Shouldn't m = 0 in that case? The formula takes values of m = 0, 1, 2, 3...

m = 1 makes sense for the second time seeing destructive interference, because m would have been zero when the speakers were side by side.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your equation for constructive interference, what does ϕ0 represent and what value does it have?

Still pi; initially the speakers were perfectly out of phase and they still are.

Right. Now replace φ0 with π in your equation for constructive interference. Solve for λ by moving everything else to the other side. What do you get?

Thanks for the help :) I'm confused - isn't that what I did in my first post? I thought it would be 1.5 m.

Then obviously if the sound was initially zero, to get back to zero I need to move the speaker one full wavelength away. So the distance between them will be 1.5 m.

But if I want to use the formulas to do this, rather than reasoning it out, I don't understand what values of m I'm supposed to be using.

I agree, you should use the formula. Can you find an expression (not numbers) for the wavelength using the constructive interference formula as I suggested in posting #4? Once you find such an expression, see what you get for the wavelength when you set m = 0.

1. What is interference?

Interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves meet and combine, resulting in a change in the overall amplitude and/or direction of the waves. This can either enhance the amplitude (constructive interference) or cancel it out (destructive interference).

2. How does constructive interference occur?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves meet and their amplitudes are in phase, meaning they are in sync with each other. This results in the waves combining and creating a larger amplitude, resulting in a louder or more intense sound.

3. How does destructive interference occur?

Destructive interference occurs when two waves meet and their amplitudes are out of phase, meaning they are not in sync with each other. This results in the waves cancelling each other out and creating a smaller or even zero amplitude, resulting in a softer or even silence.

4. What are some real-life examples of interference?

Some real-life examples of interference include sound waves from two speakers overlapping and either amplifying or cancelling each other out, radio waves from different stations overlapping and resulting in static or a mix of both stations, and light waves creating patterns when passing through two slits.

5. How is interference used in technology?

Interference is used in various technologies such as noise-cancelling headphones, which use destructive interference to cancel out external noise, and in radio and television broadcasting, where multiple signals are overlaid to transmit different channels or frequencies. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI and ultrasound, where waves are combined and their interference patterns are used to create images of the human body.