Thermal radiation transfer rate

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the thermal radiation transfer rate of a cylinder at a certain temperature and emissivity, and how the use of units and a convention can affect the final answer. The participants also discuss the importance of units and conventions in accurately solving problems involving physical equations.
Hitman6267
See attached pic

=>
Capture.PNG
<=
r=2.2
h=4.9
T= 37 Celsius
Ten= 65 Celsius
emissivity= 0.81

For the surface area I used:
A= 2 pie r^2 + 2 pie r h

I converted both r and h into meter

For the thermal radiation transfer I used the following equation

P= Stefan-boltzmann constant X emessivity X surface area X (T environment^4 - T of the
cylinder^4)

My answer is 1.72

What is my mistake ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well without showing exactly what you did, the only place I can see where you would make a mistake is not converting from Celsius to Kelvin. Did you do that?

oh sorry. I was planning on attaching an excel file with calculations. Any way here is what I did. Yes I converted from Celsius to kelvin.

P= 5.6704 x10^08 X 0.81 X 0.009814 (surface area) X (338.15^4 - 310.15^4)

I don't see anything wrong in your analysis then, why do you have reason to think that is wrong?

we use wiley plus and when i submited my answer it says it's wrong (there's a 3% tolerance). But I think you can agree that there is nothing wrong with my answer - I calculated it multiple times before posting here.

Your S-B constant and area both have a problem with decimal position. How did you calculate the second area? I get a P2/P1 ratio between 2 and 3.

Hitman6267 said:
My answer is 1.72
1.72 what? Failing to specify the units that a result is in is a common mistake. Failing to recognize that there are multiple systems of units is another. Note for example that the length of the cylinder is specified as 4.9 centimeters, not just 4.9. Units are very important. "Don't leave home without them."

What is my mistake ?
My guess: Units.

@Mapes
I copied the S-B constant from my book and I verified my area with an online area calculator.

P2/P1 = 2.75 (I got it right)

@D H
1.72W
I didn't mention the units because they are clearly stated in the screen shot I attached.

Hitman6267 said:
@Mapes
I copied the S-B constant from my book and I verified my area with an online area calculator.

P2/P1 = 2.75 (I got it right)

Got it - was [itex]\sigma=5.67\times 10^{8}\,\mathrm{W}\,\mathrm{m}^{-2}\,\mathrm{K}^{-4}[/tex] a typo? (Should be [itex]5.67\times 10^{-8}\,\mathrm{W}\,\mathrm{m}^{-2}\,\mathrm{K}^{-4}[/tex].) I goofed on the area. And I concur with your final answer.

Oh sorry about that, I didn't notice it. So there isn't something I missed ? This is frustrating I've been over it a million times and I always get the same answer.

I asked a friend of mine to get the person he did for him to do mine. He got -1.72 and it is correct. Why is that ?

This is the problem with not using units. The whole time I thought that you were getting a ratio (not a power) of 1.72 because you didn't add the "W" after it.

The answer key is using the convention that net output power is positive. This is an arbitrary choice.

oh I apologize, I'll avoid doing that in the future.

Could you elaborate on what you said about the convention?
All I know that the transfer rate is:
P= Stefan-boltzmann constant X emessivity X surface area X (T environment^4 - T of the cylinder^4

Where does a convention come in ?

The convention is which of an outward versus inward net heat transfer is designated as positive versus negative.

But where does that come in the formula
P= Stefan-boltzmann constant X emessivity X surface area X (T environment^4 - T of the cylinder^4)

Edit: I reread the chapter in my book and I found a small part that describes when its positive and when it's negative.

But there isn't anything in the question that tells us if the boding is absorbing or emitting the radiation.

A solid cylinder of radius r1 = 2.2 cm, length h1 = 4.9 cm, emissivity 0.81, and temperature 37°C is suspended in an environment of temperature 65°C. (a) What is the cylinder's net thermal radiation transfer rate P1?

And they're asking about the transfer rate. So why would I assume it's negative

Last edited:
Hitman6267 said:
But where does that come in the formula
P= Stefan-boltzmann constant X emessivity X surface area X (T environment^4 - T of the cylinder^4)

It doesn't appear in the formula. That's why a convention is needed.

Hitman6267 said:
And they're asking about the transfer rate. So why would I assume it's negative

You wouldn't, unless you knew the convention somehow. If you were never taught the convention, and it's not in your book, then the question isn't fair.

1. What is thermal radiation transfer rate?

Thermal radiation transfer rate, also known as heat transfer rate, is the amount of thermal energy transferred per unit time between two objects due to a temperature difference.

2. How is thermal radiation transfer rate calculated?

The thermal radiation transfer rate is calculated using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that the rate of thermal radiation is proportional to the fourth power of the temperature difference between the two objects.

3. What factors affect thermal radiation transfer rate?

The thermal radiation transfer rate is affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the two objects, the emissivity of the objects, the distance between them, and the surface area of the objects.

4. How is thermal radiation transfer rate used in everyday life?

Thermal radiation transfer rate is used in many everyday situations, such as heating and cooling systems, cooking, and the transfer of heat from the sun to the Earth.

5. How does thermal radiation transfer rate differ from conduction and convection?

Thermal radiation transfer rate differs from conduction and convection in that it does not require a medium for the transfer of heat. It can occur through empty space, while conduction and convection require a solid or fluid medium, respectively.