New Smilies: Get an Updated Look | Thumbs Up

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the new smilies are big and some of the old ones are gone. They're not as expressive as the old ones and some people don't like them.
I've uploaded new smilies. I think they offer a much needed updated look :thumbs_up

Physics news on Phys.org
:cry: I'll miss the others

I miss the old ones already. And I'm a little daunted by the new ones...they're...well... big ??!

Also, I think some of the old names are gone, so we will find many of the old posts lacking in actual graphic display.

Last edited:
I personally don't like them. They're too big to fit in line with text.

- Warren

Yeah, the others were much more expressive :sad:

chroot said:
I personally don't like them.
I don't like them either. Do we really need stuff like: :pizza: :ip: :cat: :BeRightBa :boy: :camera: ?

The old smilies were closer to "emoticons" which are useful for adding a little "body language" to a verbal response. If you know what I mean. :wink:

I also liked the old ones better. They were more expressive and a limited number of options limited them to supplementing the words.

The slepl cchek is a good otpion, thuogh. :star:

I donno what this one actually means :secret:

There are a few issues raised by the new smilies. Having no familiarity with guts of vBulletin, I have no idea whether they are more trouble to deal with than they are worth.

First, as it stands, thousands of posts will have unprocessed smiley tags as many smiley names are not duplicated in the new set. Casual readers of PF who are not familiar with vBulletin and even some PF habitués who have never taken time to learn the formatting system may find these confusing. This is probably the most relevant issue for the actual scientific parts of the site.

Second, in some contexts, the smilies are a significant reflection of the communicative intent of the author. My experience is that this is especially true in the politics forum, which is the arena where smilies most often function as snark modulation operators. Unprocessed smiley tags in these situations can distort the meaning of posts for those unfamiliar with the original images, especially for those smilies with ambiguous names, or those whose appearance carries a different range of connotations than the word that names them.

Also, in my opinion, new smiley images are never simply replacements for old ones. A different image has a different visual impact and connotation. In the context of electronic communications, where smilies have taken on the role of auxiliary language tokens, replacing an image is a bit like changing a word in a sentence with a word with the same base meaning from a different language, and runs the same risk of adding or subtracting meaning.

I hope all of this doesn't end up just sounding pompous and arcane; I do realize that most people probably treat the writing of posts from an entirely instrumental standpoint, and that these issues may seem trivial. However, I would still like to make a plea for archival integrity: that from a standpoint that takes writing as including all the tools of symbolic communication in a given medium, it matters that the original images accompanying so many posts have been changed or stripped.

None of this is to say that a new set of smilies would be a bad thing if they could be attached only to new posts (languages evolve, after all), but the meanings of the current generation of posts were generated with the previous set of images, and in my opinion, those images should remain attached.

I do however concur with the previous comments that this replacement set of images does not seem particularly good. In terms of the available meanings, the important slots covered by 'rolleyes' and 'tongue2' in the old set are absent. (And the 'tongue' image in this new set is just terrible, I mean really: [edit: new smiley image no longer available - yay!] -- it looks a guy with a triangle pasted on his cheek...) I would also avoid explicit Microsoft icons like [MSN butterfly, which isn't working], if for no other reason than that it will prevent posts complaining about them from taking up bandwidth...

Oh, and several of the smilies aren't working, e.g. there are a few different ones called 'messengerN' (for various N), but only one of them works. This appears to be because the working smiley does not require the trailing colon, so all smiley names starting with 'messenger' result in the same sequence being read.

Last edited:
That's it, from now on I'm exclusively using outsourced smilies.

http://www.wernergut.de/smilies/ [Broken]

http://deephousepage.com/smilies.htm [Broken]

http://www.mysmilies.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. Sorry Greg, these new ones suck.

:confused: Ack! At first blush, I liked the new smilies, until I started seeing how the names line up with the old ones. I started this post with one called "confused." It doesn't look confused to me, it looks like it swallowed a bug, and that's how I'd probably have used it. I like some of the new options, a thumbs up and thumbs down, the embarrassed one looks better for an apology (but is missing the trailing colon, as are many) than the old shy or blush ones. These look like the MSN smilies. They make more sense for chatting on messenger than trying to communicate more seriously.

I don't know what goes into selecting a smiley set, but is it possible to mix and match these and the old ones? Maybe pull out some that might only lead to mischief (like the batty one...I can just see that being misused in the political forum), and put back in some of the simple emoticons? This set doesn't seem to have as many of those, and I think they were more helpful.

Sorry guys, I like all the other new things you've been adding, and I know this is a lot of work...I'm really appreciative of your efforts, just don't really like this set much (we really need our biggrin and rofl smilies back too...I miss them already :cry: )

Tom Mattson said:
That's it, from now on I'm exclusively using outsourced smilies.

http://www.wernergut.de/smilies/ [Broken]

http://deephousepage.com/smilies.htm [Broken]

http://www.mysmilies.com

Thanks Tom! Now those are some cool smilies http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif [Broken]

Wait! Why aren't the image tags working now? That's supposed to be a smiley, not a link. Tom, did I forget to do something to make it work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
Wait! Why aren't the image tags working now?

The img tags appear to be disabled in the Feedback Forum. If you notice, there's no icon for it at the top of the post window. They still work elsewhere, though.

Tom Mattson said:
The img tags appear to be disabled in the Feedback Forum. If you notice, there's no icon for it at the top of the post window. They still work elsewhere, though.

Ack! It seems the img tags only work in General Discussion! :cry:

:bugeye: :biggrin:
I'm very happy, these are all colorful and cute :blushing:

Wow, I'm going to have to quit my job so I can be here more. I missed the whole smilies debacle.

Don't mess with our smilies. :devil:

LOL, if you haven't learned yet Greg, folks 'round these parts don't take too kindly to smilie-changin'.

- Warren

ahaha that was great. we all going to pretend this never happened, but you are warned! :biggrin:

cronxeh said:
ahaha that was great. we all going to pretend this never happened, but you are warned! :biggrin:

Ha Ha, how many points is "changing smilies" worth?

Tom Mattson said:
Ha Ha, how many points is "changing smilies" worth?

How much is being a smart ass worth? :tongue: :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
How much is being a smart ass worth? :tongue: :biggrin:

Hey, that should be a medal! :laughing:

:approve: :biggrin: :cool: Yay! Thanks for giving us back our old smilies. If you're puzzled about the sudden outlash at new smilies, I have a post up in Social Sciences on the topic of resistance to change :laughing: (Wait, hey, that's a new name...rofl is now laughing...and they're in a new order...is it a bad thing that I've memorized most of the smiley names and have a good sense of where they used to be to notice they are in a different order now?)

Tom Mattson said:
Ack! It seems the img tags only work in General Discussion! :cry:

Oh, how disappointing. :frown: That's okay, as long as the old smilies are back, I only need the fancy stuff in General Discussion anyway.

There could be a thread started to propose additions and/or replacements to the list of smilies. Aside from my plea for strict backward-compatibility, it seems like most of the resistance was to the particular batch of smilies, not to the idea of new smilies per se.

plover said:
There could be a thread started to propose additions and/or replacements to the list of smilies. Aside from my plea for strict backward-compatibility, it seems like most of the resistance was to the particular batch of smilies, not to the idea of new smilies per se.
Do NOT touch the smilies! :grumpy: :devil:

We just got our smilies back after they were replaced when the forum was upgraded a few months ago.

P.S. Well, adding some would be ok.

Evo said:
Do NOT touch the smilies! :grumpy: :devil:
OK! OK! :eek: I'll just, um, shut up, er, now.

... man, touch someone's smilies and BAM! grump city, spittin' and fumin' like you wouldn't believe, and hey wait, is this thing still on... oops...

:blushing:
We just got our smilies back after they were replaced when the forum was upgraded a few months ago.
Hmm, there would appear to be some history here I'm not aware of...
P.S. Well, adding some would be ok.
Well see, there you have it... :biggrin:

Last edited:

What are new smilies and why do we need them?

New smilies refer to updated versions of emoticons or emojis that we use in digital communication. We need them because they can help convey emotions and tone in online conversations, making them more engaging and clear.

How are new smilies different from traditional ones?

New smilies often have a more modern and diverse look compared to traditional ones. They may also include a wider range of emotions and represent a more inclusive and global perspective.

Who creates new smilies and how are they approved?

New smilies are often created by a team of designers and developers, who work together to come up with different designs and concepts. They are then approved by the platform or company they are being created for, based on factors such as relevance, appeal, and user feedback.

Can new smilies be customized or personalized?

Yes, some platforms or messaging apps allow users to customize or personalize their smilies by choosing from a variety of options or even creating their own. This can add a personal touch to the way we communicate online.

Are there any potential drawbacks or issues with using new smilies?

One potential drawback is the lack of standardization across platforms, which can lead to confusion or misinterpretation of the intended emotion. Some people may also find it difficult to adapt to new smilies if they have been used to traditional ones for a long time.