Can Green Peas Really Grow Inside the Human Body?

In summary, a man in New York had a pea grow in his lung, which is not an uncommon occurrence with seeds germinating in living human and animal bodies. However, what is uncommon is that the man laughed and ate peas after his surgery to remove the pea from his lung. The article also mentions a similar case of a grass seed germinating in a little girl's kidney. The coughing reflex in the trachea usually prevents seeds from reaching the lungs, but once they do, surgical intervention is usually required.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Well, at least this one is:

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpps/news/offbeat/pea-of-life-grows-in-ny-man's-lung-dpgonc-km-20100810_9112207 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
“I laughed to myself and ate them":yuck:

Pythagorean said:
Well, at least this one is:

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpps/news/offbeat/pea-of-life-grows-in-ny-man's-lung-dpgonc-km-20100810_9112207 [Broken]
This is by no means an appetising story, nor is it an everyday event, but it certainly is not without precedent. Seeds have been known to germinate in living human and animal bodies under various circumstances. I remember one particularly nasty case locally when a seed of a particularly nasty grass, known locally as "steekgras", meaning sticking or piercing grass germinated in the kidney of a little girl. The seeds are long, narrow, pointed, barbed and rigid. Usually they cause little harm except to the clothing and economy of the farmer on his land the grass grows, but they are barbed and if they stick into the flesh, they can work their way in. I assume that what happened to this girl was that in a romp she got stuck by a seed which she could not remove and forgot about. It wound up in her kidney before germinating. It must have been painful enough (kidney damage is fiendishly painful) to cause her to end up in hospital, where the surgeons discovered (and solved) the problem.
One seldom finds seeds germinating in lungs, because the coughing reflex in the trachea is extremely strong; get any irritating object, such as a food item, down your windpipe and you may well cough till your heart stops, but you will cough. (Incidentally, in case anyone reading this has never worked with a concentrated source of sulphur dioxide, believe me, it has much the same effect! As soon as it touches your windpipe you cough. You then instantly inhale in reaction, which means you cough again. This is a typical positive-feedback cycle and goes to competition in about one second, by which time your lungs are about as empty as you can cough them, and you are running like crazy to the nearest source of fresh air! Physiologically the gas is not particularly poisonous, but it has a peremptory way with self-confident laboratory novices.)
Seeds however. If one gets past the trachea, into the bronchi, one is past the point where the lungs stimulate the coughing reflex. This makes a certain amount of sense, because the ebb and flow of gas deep in the lungs is negligible, far too weak to eject a massive object like a seed. As a rule, if you cannot get rid of the object by bouncing upside down (as Brunel did when he swallowed a coin) then surgical intervention of some sort is about the only thing that will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
hypatia said:
“I laughed to myself and ate them":yuck:

That is one of the nastiest and most revolting reactions I've ever heard! He ATE IT?? Oh man.

As Jon says, this isn't unprecedented, but eating it might be. *throws up a little*

I'm a little surprised that the pea didn't trigger a fatal immune reaction in the lung...

nismaratwork said:
That is one of the nastiest and most revolting reactions I've ever heard! He ATE IT?? Oh man.

As Jon says, this isn't unprecedented, but eating it might be. *throws up a little*

I'm a little surprised that the pea didn't trigger a fatal immune reaction in the lung...

Naw, it wasn't the same peas. IIRC, his friends brought him a can of peas after he was stabilized.

If you just read the article:
One of his first meals following surgery in the hospital included a side of peas. “I laughed to myself and ate them,” he told WHDH TV.

Ok... but I'd still be off peas for life...

1. What is the scientific explanation behind the statement "Green peas are human parasite"?

The statement "Green peas are human parasite" is not scientifically accurate. Parasites are organisms that live on or inside another organism (the host) and derive nutrients from it. Green peas, on the other hand, are a plant species and cannot survive by living on or inside a human host. Therefore, they cannot be considered as human parasites.

2. Can humans be infected by eating green peas?

No, humans cannot be infected by eating green peas. Green peas are a nutritious food source and do not contain any harmful parasites that can infect humans. In fact, consuming green peas can provide various health benefits such as improving digestion and lowering the risk of chronic diseases.

3. Are there any parasites commonly found in green peas?

No, there are no known parasites commonly found in green peas. Green peas are generally considered safe to consume and are not known to harbor any parasites. However, like any food, proper handling, storage, and cooking can reduce the risk of bacterial contamination.

4. What are some common human parasites and how are they transmitted?

Some common human parasites include tapeworms, roundworms, and hookworms. These parasites can be transmitted through contaminated food or water, contact with infected individuals, or exposure to infected soil or feces. Proper hygiene and sanitation practices can help prevent these infections.

5. What are the symptoms of a human parasite infection?

The symptoms of a human parasite infection can vary depending on the type of parasite and the affected organ. However, some common symptoms may include abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, and weight loss. In some cases, there may be no symptoms at all. If you suspect a parasite infection, it is important to consult a healthcare professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.