B.F.A. Pursuing Physics: Paths & Advice

In summary, the conversation is about a person who has a B.F.A. and always considered themselves an artist, but became interested in physics after taking a course in junior year. They are now at a point in their life where they want to pursue physics, but are unsure of the paths available and where studying physics can lead. They have asked for outside perspectives and are open to advice.
ofaaron
I think I am a bit of an odd case, but I might not be. I have a B.F.A., no joke. When I was young I recognized that other people recognized that I was skilled in drawing. I think that gave me a bit of tunnel vision. Even though I pursued other interests, I always thought of myself as an artist. Teaching myself different programming languages and taking several math courses at once in High School didn't really seem to tip me off.

However, in junior year I took a Physics course, and it just kind of clicked. I think I just saw that in physics, math can be used for some truly beautiful things. Before, math to me was just an abstract oddity. Well, I still ended up going to school with more of an art focus and graduated. I still plan on looking for work in that intended field, but I have become more and more interested in Physics.

But I stand at a weird point in my life, and I certainly want to pursue Physics. I don't know where this will lead and I don't know if I will find myself as a Physicist at the end of it. I've been trying to determine the ways in which I can do that.

I can always go back to school, but it would need to be part time and at a school local to my job. I can also study in my spare time, and I have been to some extent. I'm not here to ask what I should do, because I know no one can tell me that. However, I do like outside perspectives on my situations. I have asked others, but I don't really know anyone in the field of Physics, or pursuing Physics, to ask in person.

What are the paths available? Where can study in Physics lead? I guess those are the questions I can ask, but any advice you can give would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a B.F.A. in Physics?

A B.F.A. in Physics is a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in the field of Physics. It combines the study of physics principles with a focus on creative expression and artistic skills.

2. What career paths can I pursue with a B.F.A. in Physics?

With a B.F.A. in Physics, you can pursue careers in various fields such as scientific research, teaching, data analysis, science communication, and even in the entertainment industry.

3. What are some recommended courses for a B.F.A. in Physics?

Some recommended courses for a B.F.A. in Physics include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and computational physics. It is also beneficial to take courses in creative writing, graphic design, or filmmaking to enhance your artistic skills.

4. What advice do you have for someone pursuing a B.F.A. in Physics?

My advice would be to not limit yourself to just one field. Use your creativity and critical thinking skills to explore various career options. Don't be afraid to combine your passion for physics with other interests or hobbies.

5. Is it possible to pursue a graduate degree in Physics after getting a B.F.A. in Physics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in Physics after completing a B.F.A. in Physics. However, you may need to take some additional courses to meet the requirements for a graduate program in Physics. It is recommended to consult with your academic advisor for guidance.