Assorted Resistor and Capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses purchasing resistors and capacitors for a home-brew project involving LED and PIC. It is suggested to research the values needed before buying in bulk, with recommendations for grab bags or kits from websites. The concept of preferred values is also mentioned, along with a preferred value calculator and a starting point for resistor and capacitor values. Finally, the importance of capacitors for bypassing power pins is mentioned.
prescott2006
Anyone could suggest which resistor and capacitor value that used most in home-brew project? Those project basically deal with LED and PIC. I want to buy them in bulk, but I do not know how to assort them. I wish to buy like 50 resistors and 50 capacitors. Looking forward for your help.:)

Engineering news on Phys.org
50 resistors and 50 caps is not "buying in bulk" and there is no particular value that is "most used." You should figure out what values you need first.

Hey Prescott2006, There aren't just a few values used however there are standards of values such as E12/E24. You may find this helpful in deciding what components to purchase. Also, 50 caps and resistors are not bulk, when you talk 50,000 that is bulk. Perhaps you would be interested in some Grab bags or kits such as those on Sparkfun.com or http://www.futurlec.com/ValuePacks.shtml, Jameco also has grab bags as well.

For more reading on Preferred Values check out Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferred_number

and here is a preferred value calculator: http://www.random-science-tools.com/electronics/preferred_values.html

Hope this is helpful and best of luck on your next project! :)

I always start with 10Kohm and .1microfarad and work from there. LED current limiters might usually be in the 100-470ohm range. Pull up resistors for PIC inputs could run from 10-100Kohm.

Certainly, find a grab-bag-assortment of resistors. But, unless you are making analog filters, the only use for capacitors is bypassing power pins, so .1uf might just do you.

1. What is the purpose of a resistor and capacitor?

A resistor is an electronic component that is used to limit the flow of electric current in a circuit, while a capacitor is used to store and release electric charge. Together, they can help control the flow of electricity and stabilize voltage levels in a circuit.

2. How do I determine the value of a resistor or capacitor?

The value of a resistor is measured in ohms, and can be determined by reading the color-coded bands on the resistor or using a multimeter. The value of a capacitor is measured in farads, and can be determined by reading the markings on the capacitor or using a capacitance meter.

3. Can resistors and capacitors be used interchangeably?

No, resistors and capacitors have different functions and cannot be used interchangeably. Resistors are used to limit current flow, while capacitors are used to store and release electrical charge. Using them interchangeably can damage the circuit or affect its performance.

4. What are some common applications of resistors and capacitors?

Resistors and capacitors are used in a wide range of electronic devices, such as computers, televisions, and mobile phones. They are also commonly used in electronic circuits, power supplies, and audio equipment to regulate voltage and current levels.

5. How do I choose the right resistor or capacitor for my circuit?

The choice of resistor or capacitor will depend on the specific requirements of your circuit. Factors to consider include the desired resistance or capacitance value, power rating, and tolerance. It is important to consult circuit diagrams and datasheets to determine the appropriate component for your circuit.