Simp,e Harmonic Motion with Damping

In summary, the solution to the damped harmonic oscillator can be solved by use of complex variables, with the sin and cosine terms only being half of the right answer. The solution with the exponential multiplied by both a sine and cosine term (Wolfram Mathematics for example) is the same essentially, but depends on the boundary conditions.
ga400man
Hey, I have a simple question to ask. Some sources I have seen develop the solution for the underdamped case with an exponential term multiplied by a Cosine term. This is due to the application of the Euler identity to the solution with two exponentials each with one of the complex conjugate roots. The sin terms cancel leaving just the cosine. Other sources show a solution with the exponential multiplied by both a sine and a cosine term (Wolfram Mathematics for example). Are these solutions the same essentially or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but solutions to differential equations (like the damped harmonic oscillator) are best solved by use of complex variables.. the complex exponential in this case. Read the Wikipedia page on "Harmonic oscillator" and it explains it. A sin or a cos is only really half the right answer, but will do in a lot of cases.

DrFurious is right. The complete general solution to the differential equation involves both sine and cosine terms. However, the specific solution depends on the boundary conditions. There might be specific boundary conditions that make the coefficient for the sine part zero, leaving only the cosine term. That depends on the problem itself.

I guess you could also reason that the sine and cosine functions differ only by a phase shift of Pi/2, so you could just express the solution in terms of a sum of cosines with phase shifts.

If you only want to study the general behavior of the solution, then it doesn't really matter whether you take the sin or cos option.

On the other hand if you want to specify some boundary conditons to look at the response in a particular physical problem, then in general you have two boundary conditions (e.g. x and x' at time = 0) and you need both the sin and cos terms to satisfy them.

Alternatively, you can say the solution is the real part of [itex]A e^{st}[/itex] where s is complex and A is an arbitrary complex constant. The two boundary conditions can be satisfied by taking suitable values of the real and imaginary parts of A.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I guess I was too hasty in stating my concern and should have been less vague. The textbook solution that I saw stated that the Euler identity could be used to remove the two terms in e with complex exponents to be replaced with a 2cos(wt+p) term (p being the phase shift) but I didn't see how that was possible since the the two terms of e have different constant multipliers and therefore I am forced to retain the sin terms. Perhaps using the difference and sum of angles trig identities might show me they are the same but the general solution with both sine and cosine terms seems to be the best. As you have stated the boundary condition of the dependant variable (distance in this case) at t(0) and also dx/dt at t(0) should resolve the value of the constants. However, the solution with just the cosine term and the phase shift seems to satisfy any initial conditions too.
I guess that the general solution with the sine and cosine terms should be the one used since it is the most rigourous.

Last edited:

1. What is simple harmonic motion with damping?

Simple harmonic motion with damping is a type of motion where an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, but also experiences a resistive force that decreases its amplitude over time. This resistive force is known as damping.

2. How does damping affect the motion of an object?

Damping affects the motion of an object by decreasing its amplitude over time. This means that the oscillations become smaller and smaller until the object eventually comes to rest at the equilibrium point.

3. What are the different types of damping?

There are three types of damping: underdamping, overdamping, and critical damping. Underdamping occurs when the resistive force is less than the restoring force, causing the object to oscillate with decreasing amplitude. Overdamping occurs when the resistive force is greater than the restoring force, causing the object to return to equilibrium without oscillating. Critical damping occurs when the resistive force is equal to the restoring force, resulting in the object returning to equilibrium as quickly as possible without any oscillations.

4. How is damping represented in a simple harmonic motion equation?

In a simple harmonic motion equation, damping is represented by a damping coefficient, typically denoted by the symbol "b". This coefficient is multiplied by the velocity term in the equation, resulting in a decrease in amplitude over time.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion with damping?

Some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion with damping include a pendulum gradually losing its swing due to air resistance, a door closer slowly bringing a door to a closed position, and a car's suspension system absorbing the vibrations from driving on a bumpy road.