Calculating Wave Properties: Frequency, Wavelength, and Speed

In summary, the displacement of a wave traveling in the negative x-direction is given by y(x,t)=(5.2cm)cos(5.5x/m+72t/s), where x is in metres and t is in seconds. To calculate the frequency, use the equation w = 2pi f where w is the angular frequency and f is the frequency. The wavelength can be found using the equation k = (2pi)/y, where k is the wave number and y is the wavelength. The speed of the wave can be calculated as v = w/k.**
anotherperson

Homework Statement

the displacement of a wave traveling in the negative x-direction is given by
y(x,t)=(5.2cm)cos(5.5x/m+72t/s)

where x is in metres, t is in seconds, calculate:
i)the frequency
ii) the wavelength
iii) the speed of this wave)

The Attempt at a Solution

i have absolutely no idea how do calculate the first 2. i thought you could just read the frequency and wavelength of the equation but this doesn't match my solutions

i know part iii) will be speed=72/5.5= 13 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that the equation of a wave is y(x,t) = ymsin(kx +- wt). In this case its s(x,t) = smcos(kx +- wt). Your equation above takes the form of the latter. Frequency is related to w by the equation w = 2pi f where f is frequency - so just plug in the w from your equation and solve. Also, k is related to wavelength (I'll label wavelength as y) by the equation k = (2pi)/y. Here you also just need to plug in your values from the equation and solve. And yeah, you're right about the speed. v = w/k.

this is exactly what i had done but i had used k for w and w for k, that's for the help!

thanks**

I can help you understand how to calculate the frequency and wavelength from the given equation. The frequency of a wave is the number of complete oscillations it makes in one second. In this case, we can determine the frequency by looking at the coefficient in front of the time variable, which is 72/s. This means that the wave completes 72 oscillations in one second, giving us a frequency of 72 Hz.

The wavelength of a wave is the distance between two consecutive points of the same phase (e.g. two consecutive crests or troughs). In this equation, the wavelength is represented by the value inside the cosine function, which is 5.5x/m. This means that the wavelength is 5.5 meters.

Now, to calculate the speed of the wave, we can use the formula v = fλ, where v is the speed, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength. Substituting the values we calculated, we get v = (72 Hz) x (5.5 m) = 396 m/s. Therefore, the speed of this wave is 396 m/s.

I hope this helps you understand how to calculate the frequency, wavelength, and speed of a wave. Keep up the good work with your homework!

1. What are the basic properties of a wave?

The basic properties of a wave are frequency, wavelength, and speed. These properties describe the characteristics of a wave and help us understand how it behaves.

2. How do you calculate the frequency of a wave?

The frequency of a wave is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is calculated by dividing the number of wave cycles by the time it takes for those cycles to occur. The formula for frequency is f = 1/T, where T is the period of the wave.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

The wavelength of a wave is inversely proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. The formula for this relationship is λ = c/f, where λ is the wavelength, c is the speed of light, and f is the frequency.

4. How do you calculate the speed of a wave?

The speed of a wave is calculated by multiplying its frequency by its wavelength. The formula for this is v = fλ, where v is the speed of the wave, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength.

5. Can the speed of a wave change?

Yes, the speed of a wave can change depending on the medium it is traveling through. For example, the speed of sound waves is different in air compared to water. The speed of a wave also changes when it enters a different medium, such as when light travels from air to water. However, the frequency and wavelength of a wave remain constant as long as it does not change mediums.