Design of a mixing box of different gases

In summary, the conversation is about designing a mixing box for different gases. The plan is to use Acrylic panels with the dimensions of 30cm x 30cm x 30cm, with two 3/4 inch pipes feeding inflows at a flow rate of 1300 LPM in total. The outlet will be a rectangular opening of 8cm x 8cm. The question is how to define the pressure inside the box, which is part of a larger flow network. The pressure can be calculated by considering the pressure losses along the pipe and starting from a known pressure outside the outlet.
jeremyzhao
Hi guys, I am designing a mixing box for different gases. Here is my plan: I will use Acrylic panels with the dimension of 30cm x 30cm x30cm. Two 3/4 inch pipes feed inflows at flow rate of 1300 LPM in total. The outlet is an rectangular opening of 8cm x 8cm. How can I define the pressure inside the box?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am not quite sure what you mean by "define the pressure inside the box" ...I mean, you do not define it...the box is part of a larger flow network...depending on the pressure on the outlet (the 8x8 one) and the flow rate and the density of the gas, etc., you need to calculate your pressure losses along that pipe and figure out the pressure in the box...if you do not know your pressure right outside the 8x8 outlet, you need to start from the place where you KNOW the pressure and calculated your pressure losses up stream until you get to your box...is that what you are asking?

1. What is the purpose of a mixing box in a gas system?

A mixing box is used to combine different gases in specific ratios to create a desired gas mixture. This is commonly used in industrial processes, such as in gas production or in gas-powered engines, to optimize the performance of the system.

2. What factors should be considered when designing a mixing box?

The key factors to consider when designing a mixing box include the type and properties of the gases being mixed, the required ratio of the gases, the flow rate of the gases, and the pressure and temperature conditions of the system. The design must also take into account the compatibility of the materials used with the gases being mixed.

3. How is the mixing efficiency of a mixing box determined?

The mixing efficiency of a mixing box is usually determined through experimental testing. This involves measuring the concentration of the mixed gases at different points within the box and comparing it to the desired ratio. The mixing efficiency can also be calculated using theoretical models and simulations.

4. What are the common types of mixing boxes used for gas systems?

The most common types of mixing boxes used for gas systems are static mixers, dynamic mixers, and jet mixers. Static mixers use baffles or other internal structures to mix the gases, while dynamic mixers use moving parts to mix the gases. Jet mixers use high-velocity jets of gas to mix the gases.

5. How can the design of a mixing box be optimized for efficiency and performance?

The design of a mixing box can be optimized by considering factors such as the shape and size of the box, the placement and type of mixing elements, the flow rates and pressures of the gases, and the materials used. Additionally, using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations can help to identify any potential design improvements for optimal efficiency and performance.