Graphene Concepts: Exploring Charge Carriers & Bilayer Properties

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of graphene and how it is described by equations similar to those used for relativistic particles like neutrinos. The article mentions that charge carriers in graphene are massless fermions, while bilayer graphene has massive Dirac fermions due to different equations being used. The significance of this in terms of material properties is also discussed. One person plans to ask their supervisors for more information on the topic.
marie2010
hi,
I was reading an article about graphene and I came across some concepts I am not familiar with. I was just wondering if someone could help me understand them:

The article says that charge carriers in graphene are massless fermions that are described with a Dirac-like equation rather than Schrodinger equation. The bilayer graphene are, on the other hand, massive Dirac fermions. Can someone comment on what it all means (in terms of the material properties, etc)? Why is it important?
Thanks a lot.

marie

Physics news on Phys.org

I am not sure but I think at zero point charge carries behave like relativistic particle. Which means E=h.f . I will ask this issue to my supervisors in my project group. I will return you in a few days. Thank you very much :)

the equations describing the graphene is the same as that for the neutrino (except the velocity). neutrino is massless. so does the graphene.
The bilayer graphene is described by the different equations which have the second order
derivative on the x,y coordinates, so massive Dirac fermions

1. What is graphene and why is it important?

Graphene is a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It is important because it is the thinnest and strongest material ever discovered, with many potential applications in electronics, energy storage, and biotechnology.

2. How do charge carriers behave in graphene?

Charge carriers in graphene behave as massless particles, moving at extremely high speeds due to its unique electronic structure. They also exhibit unusual quantum effects, such as the quantum Hall effect and Klein tunneling.

3. What are the properties of bilayer graphene?

Bilayer graphene is composed of two layers of graphene stacked on top of each other. It has unique properties such as the ability to tune its band gap and the emergence of a new type of quasiparticles called bilayer plasmons.

4. How is graphene being used in electronic devices?

Graphene is being explored for use in electronic devices due to its high electrical conductivity, flexibility, and transparency. It has potential applications in flexible displays, touchscreens, and high-speed transistors.

5. What are the challenges in commercializing graphene-based technologies?

The main challenges in commercializing graphene-based technologies include the high cost of production, difficulties in large-scale synthesis, and the lack of standardization and regulations. There is also a need for further research to fully understand and control graphene's properties for specific applications.