Where Will a Current Loop Tend to Go When Placed in Different Positions?

In summary, the behavior of the loop can be summarized as follows: if the loop is placed in position 2, it will naturally tend to align itself with the magnetic field in position 1. This behavior can also be observed in more complex situations, as shown in positions 3 and 4, where the loop will still tend towards position 1 due to the minimization of torque.
Chimico
I was reasoning about this matter and i found myself asking a question ... i tried to search the answer in quite a number of books (mainly Physics_For_Scientists_And_Engineers_6_Ed._By_Serway_And_Jewett and and Physics_by_James_S_Walker) but no way ... all the information i found are related to simple expamples (which are always the same) but i am thinking about a different thing ... hope someone can help me with this. I will try to articulate my thought in 3 main points:

1) What i have undestood is that a magnetic field B can exert on a current loop a torque because of the Lorentz force (to say it simple). The standard equations that i found in the Serway book are clear about this. So, for example, there is a rectangular (the shape, however, doesn't really matter) current loop that lies on the z-y plane. The magnetic field B is a vector in the -x direction. The magnetic moment μ of the current loop is the green vector. The green vector and the B vector form a theta θ angle of 45 degrees (position 2). The red dot represents the turning axis. So, now because of the torque exterted on it, the current loop will tend to reach position 1, where the green vector is parallel to the B vector. For position 1 the torque tau is zero. To summerize the behavior of the loop i would say that if i put the loop in position 2, it will tend to naturally assume position 1.

Here is an image of this first example:
Code:
[PLAIN]http://www.box.com/s/795zgprlp5tzumpb8lhg
[/PLAIN]

2) The above one is the classical example. It is possible to make it a little more complicated by considering this situation:

Code:
[PLAIN]http://www.box.com/s/5echv3brqbnnusz904n4
[/PLAIN]

If i put the loop in position 3, it will then go torough position 2 and finally reach position 1.

3) Now, this is the things i didn't find, what happens if i put the loop in a new position (position 4) that has a theta angle > 90 degrees like, for example, this:

Code:
[PLAIN]http://www.box.com/s/6udeqaku49quey71mmnb
[/PLAIN]

Will the loop still tend to reach position 1 where the μ magnetic moment is in the same direction as vector B? Since in position 1 the torque is zero i guess it is a stable position so it seems logical to state that the loop will go from position 4 to position 1.

But ... i asked myself ... is there any other position where there is no torque? is there any other postion where to loop will likely go? Well, i noticed that also position 5 has a zero torque:

Code:
[PLAIN]http://www.box.com/s/umo06538am6u5m53fi70
[/PLAIN]

So, in conclusion, if i place the current loop in position4, where will it go? To position1 or position 5? And why?

Thanks in advance to anyone that would like to discuss the matter :-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To answer your question, the current loop will tend to reach position 1 in both cases. This is because the torque on the loop is proportional to the angle between the magnetic moment and the magnetic field, and the torque is the greatest when they are perpendicular (as in position 4). Thus, the loop will try to align itself so that the angle between the magnetic moment and the magnetic field is minimized, which is when they are parallel (position 1). Position 5 has a zero torque, but since it is further from position 4 than position 1, the loop will not likely go to position 5.

1. What is torque on a current loop?

Torque on a current loop refers to the rotational force or twisting effect that is exerted on a loop of wire carrying an electric current when placed in a magnetic field.

2. How is torque on a current loop calculated?

The magnitude of torque on a current loop can be calculated by multiplying the current in the loop by the strength of the magnetic field and the area of the loop, as well as the sine of the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the current loop.

3. What is the direction of torque on a current loop?

The direction of torque on a current loop is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current, the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm indicates the direction of the torque.

4. How does torque on a current loop affect the loop's orientation?

The torque on a current loop causes it to rotate, with the axis of rotation being perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the plane of the loop. This results in a change in the loop's orientation in the direction of the torque.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque on a current loop?

Torque on a current loop is used in many electrical devices, such as electric motors, generators, and electromagnets. It is also a fundamental principle in the operation of electric motors and generators, where the torque on a current loop is used to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy or vice versa.