What is the Maximum Range for a 10kW Radio Station in Bangladesh?

In summary, the conversation revolves around implementing a commercial radio station in Bangladesh with certain restrictions on transmitter power and antenna combination. The question at hand is how many kilometers or miles can be covered with these specifications and what the transmitting range will be. The suggested method for calculating this is using Hata's model, but the required power at the receiving end is unknown. It is also mentioned that the type of radio (AM or FM) will affect the maximum range, but the accepted value for this is not known.
kazimazzad
I need a help with a question. we want to implement a commercial radio station with proper licensing in Bangladesh. the regulatory board allow maximum 10kW transmitter and highest 16db by combining 6db antenna each or 40 ERP. how many KM/mile we can cover with this spec or what will be the transmitting range?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
To help get you on the right path:

The easiest to use model for calculating propogation loss is Hata's model:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hata_Model_for_Urban_Areas

You can plug your data into it and calculate the loss at different distances in dB. But, if you want to know maximum range what you need to know is the power required at the receiving end to get a clear signal and this I do not know.

Obviously it will depend on if you are doing AM or FM radio (I am assuming you are doing FM). I am sure there is some accepted value, but I do not know what it is and didn't see anything in a quick search of the internet.

1. What is radio transmission distance?

Radio transmission distance refers to the maximum distance that a radio signal can travel before it becomes too weak to be received.

2. What factors affect radio transmission distance?

The main factors that affect radio transmission distance are the frequency of the radio signal, the power of the transmitter, and the presence of obstacles or interference in the transmission path.

3. How can I increase the radio transmission distance?

To increase the radio transmission distance, you can use a higher frequency signal, increase the power of the transmitter, or use a directional antenna to focus the signal in a specific direction.

4. What is the maximum distance for radio transmission on Earth?

The maximum distance for radio transmission on Earth is approximately 239,000 miles, which is the distance from the Earth to the Moon.

5. Can radio signals travel through objects?

Yes, radio signals can travel through objects, but their strength and quality may be affected by the type and density of the material they are passing through.