Analytic continuation of an integral involving the mittag-leffler function

In summary, the integral I(s) represents the sum of two integrals and is equivalent to the formula involving the Mittag-Leffler function and the Jacobi theta function. It is well-behaved for Re(s)>1, but the goal is to extend its domain to the entire complex plane except for a few points. The Mittag-Leffler function has a useful continuation formula, but it is uncertain if it will yield a meromorphic integral. Attempts have been made to split the integration and use the Riemann zeta function, but further assistance is needed in solving the problem.
mmzaj
greetings . we have the integral :

[tex] I(s)=\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{s(E_{s}(x^{s})-1)-x}{x(e^{x}-1)}dx [/tex]

which is equivalent to

[tex] =I(s)=\frac{1}{4}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\theta(ix)\left(sE_{s/2} ((\pi x)^{s/2})-s-2x^{1/2}\right)}{x}dx [/tex]

[itex]E_{\alpha}(z)[/itex] being the mittag-leffler function

and [itex] \theta(x) [/itex] is the jacobi theta function

the integral above behaves well for Re(s)>1 . i am trying to extend the domain of [itex]I(s)[/itex] to the whole complex plane except for some points. but i have no idea where to start !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the mittag-leffler function admits the beautiful continuation :

[tex]E_{\alpha}(z)=1-E_{-\alpha}(z^{-1}) [/tex]

using the fact that
[tex]I(s)=\frac{1}{4}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\theta(ix) \left(sE_{s/2} ((\pi x)^{s/2})-s-2x^{1/2}\right)}{x}dx [/tex]

and :

[tex]\theta(-\frac{1}{t})=(-it)^{1/2}\theta(t) [/tex]

one can split the integration much like the one concerning the Riemann zeta . but i am not sure this will yield a meromorphic integral . hence, the problem !

here is what I've been trying to do

[tex] I(s)= 1 -\frac{1}{2}\left[\ln(x)\right]_{1}^{\infty}-\int_{1}^{\infty}\omega(x)\left(x^{-1}+\frac{sx^{-1}}{2}+x^{-1/2} \right ) dx +\int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{s\omega(x)}{2}\left[x^{-1}E_{\frac{s}{2}}(x\pi)^{s/2}-x^{-1/2} E_{\frac{-s}{2}}\left(\frac{x}{\pi}\right)^{s/2} \right ]dx +\int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{s}{4}\left[x^{-1} E_{\frac{-s}{2}}\left(\frac{x}{\pi} \right )^{s/2}+x^{-1/2}E_{\frac{-s}{2}}\left(\frac{x}{\pi} \right )^{s/2} \right ]dx[/tex]

where[tex] \omega(x)=\frac{\theta(ix)-1}{2}[/tex]i would like some help here !

Last edited:

What is analytic continuation?

Analytic continuation is a mathematical technique used to extend the domain of a given function beyond its initial definition. It allows for the function to be defined and evaluated at points where it was previously undefined.

What is the Mittag-Leffler function?

The Mittag-Leffler function is a special function in complex analysis, denoted as Eα,β(z), where α and β are complex parameters and z is a complex variable. It is a generalization of the exponential function and has many applications in various fields of mathematics and physics.

Why is analytic continuation important?

Analytic continuation is important because it allows for the study and evaluation of functions in a larger domain. This can provide insights and solutions to problems that were previously inaccessible using traditional methods.

How is analytic continuation of an integral with the Mittag-Leffler function done?

Analytic continuation of an integral involving the Mittag-Leffler function is typically done by using complex analysis techniques, such as Cauchy's integral theorem and contour integration. These methods involve manipulating the integrand and the integration path to extend the domain of the integral.

What are some applications of analytic continuation involving the Mittag-Leffler function?

Analytic continuation of integrals with the Mittag-Leffler function has various applications in the fields of probability theory, fractional calculus, and differential equations. It is also used in the study of complex dynamical systems and in the analysis of physical systems with long-range interactions.