Limit of 0/0 indeterminant form, n and k for existence of limit

In summary: \frac{\left [2\left ( \frac{(nx)^2}{2!}+\frac{(nx)^4}{4!}+... \right )-2\left ( -\frac{(nx/2)^2}{2!}+\frac{(nx)^4}{4!}+... \right ) \right ]\cos x}{-\left ( \frac{\sin x}{x} \right )\left ( \frac{1-\cos^2x}{x^2} \right )x^3}
AGNuke
Gold Member
If [tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{e^{nx}+e^{-nx}-2cos\frac{nx}{2} - kx^2}{sinx - tanx}[/tex] exists and finite, then possible values of 'n' and 'k'

Homework Equations

By far, I have got one equation relating n and k.
[tex]\frac{5n^2}{4}-k=0[/tex]

I can simply put choices in there and get answer, but it would be better if I can get answer from the question itself.

The Attempt at a Solution

By removing the indeterminancy in the denominator and expanding the numerator, I got

[tex]\frac{\left [2\left ( \frac{(nx)^2}{2!}+\frac{(nx)^4}{4!}+... \right )-2\left ( -\frac{(nx/2)^2}{2!}+\frac{(nx)^4}{4!}+... \right ) \right ]cosx}{-\left ( \frac{sinx}{x} \right )\left ( \frac{1-cos^2x}{x^2} \right )x^3}[/tex]

I expanded the series till x3 or x4. I just want an equation which can confirm the value of n, which is probably 2 (as I am getting a fancy answer, k = 5 :smile:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
AGNuke said:
If [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0}\frac{e^{nx}+e^{-nx}-2\cos\frac{nx}{2} - kx^2}{\sin x - \tan x}[/itex] exists and finite, then possible values of 'n' and 'k'

Homework Equations

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{5n^2}{4}-k=0[/itex]

I can simply put choices in there and get answer, but it would be better if I can get answer from the question itself.

By removing the indeterminacy in the denominator and expanding the numerator, I got

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\left [2\left ( \frac{(nx)^2}{2!}+\frac{(nx)^4}{4!}+... \right )-2\left ( -\frac{(nx/2)^2}{2!}+\frac{(nx)^4}{4!}+... \right ) \right ]\cos x}{-\left ( \frac{\sin x}{x} \right )\left ( \frac{1-\cos^2x}{x^2} \right )x^3}[/itex]

I expanded the series till x3 or x4. I just want an equation which can confirm the value of n, which is probably 2 (as I am getting a fancy answer, k = 5 :smile:)
Have t\you tried L'Hôpital's rule ?

AGNuke, please don't use SIZE tags. I replaced your itex tags with tex tags.

SammyS said:
Have t\you tried L'Hôpital's rule ?

After applying the L'Hôpital's rule twice, I got

[tex]\frac{n^2e^{nx}+n^2e^{-nx}+\frac{n^2}{2}cos\frac{nx}{2}-2k}{-sinx - 2tanx.sex^2x}[/tex]

After entering x = 0; since the denominator approaches zero, so must the numerator. After doing so, I got that same previous equation

Mark44 said:
AGNuke, please don't use SIZE tags. I replaced your itex tags with tex tags.

OK and Thanks. I don't have much experience with latex and their size issue.

AGNuke said:
After entering x = 0; since the denominator approaches zero, so must the numerator. After doing so, I got that same previous equation
Isn't that still an indeterminate form? Even if both the denominator and numerator approach 0 as x tends to zero, it doesn't guarantee that the limit exists, for one may reach 0 faster than the other.

Fightfish said:
it doesn't guarantee that the limit exists

But the question states that the limit DO exist. That's why I made both of them to approach 0 as the denominator is going to do that for sure.

And I tried using n = 2 and eventually k = 5, the limit is 0.

Ah, I get your point. It looks like there are infinitely many solutions though.

AGNuke said:
If [tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{e^{nx}+e^{-nx}-2cos\frac{nx}{2} - kx^2}{sinx - tanx}[/tex] exists and finite, then possible values of 'n' and 'k'

Homework Equations

By removing the indeterminancy in the denominator and expanding the numerator, I got

[tex]\frac{\left [2\left ( \frac{(nx)^2}{2!}+\frac{(nx)^4}{4!}+... \right )-2\left ( -\frac{(nx/2)^2}{2!}+\frac{(nx)^4}{4!}+... \right ) \right ]cosx}{-\left ( \frac{sinx}{x} \right )\left ( \frac{1-cos^2x}{x^2} \right )x^3}[/tex]

Assuming you haven't solved this yet, L' Hospitals's rule looks REALLY tempting here.

Fightfish said:
Ah, I get your point. It looks like there are infinitely many solutions though.

Thats like saying the limit doesn't exist.

AGNuke said:
After applying the L'Hôpital's rule twice, I got

[tex]\frac{n^2e^{nx}+n^2e^{-nx}+\frac{n^2}{2}cos\frac{nx}{2}-2k}{-sinx - 2tanx.sex^2x}[/tex]

OK and Thanks. I don't have much experience with latex and their size issue.
That all looks good.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{5n^2}{4}-k=0\quad\to\quad k=\frac{5n^2}{4}[/itex]

So plug-in [itex]\displaystyle \frac{5n^2}{4}[/itex] for k :

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{n^2e^{nx}+n^2e^{-nx}+\frac{n^2}{2}\cos\frac{nx}{2}-2k}{-\sin x -2\tan x\sec^2 x}
\quad\to\quad \frac{n^2e^{nx}+n^2e^{-nx}+\frac{n^2}{2}\cos\frac{nx}{2}-\frac{5n^2}{2}}{-\sin x(1 +2\sec^3 x)}[/itex]

and call on L'Hôpital one more time.

If I do so, wouldn't the numerator becomes zero all on its own?

AGNuke said:
If I do so, wouldn't the numerator becomes zero all on its own?
Yes.

How about the denominator?

SammyS said:
Yes.

How about the denominator?
Denominator was 0 right from the beginning.

Even if I apply LH rule twice, I still won't get any respectable equation.

AGNuke said:
Denominator was 0 right from the beginning.

Even if I apply LH rule twice, I still won't get any respectable equation.
What's the derivative of [itex]-\sin x(1 +2\sec^3 x)\ ?[/itex]

That derivative is not zero at x=0 .

If I apply LH rule once after that fancy equation, maybe the denominator is -3, but the numerator becomes 0 all on its own, without leaving a gap for determining the value of n.

AGNuke said:
If I apply LH rule once after that fancy equation, maybe the denominator is -3, but the numerator becomes 0 all on its own, without leaving a gap for determining the value of n.
Then that means that the limit is 0, doesn't it?

Are you allowed to use infinitesimal of equivalent?
Note that 3(sin(x)-x) and sin(x)-tan(x) are equivalent infinitesimals as x approaches 0. Which makes much less miserable to apply L'Hôpital's rule multiple times.

SammyS said:
Then that means that the limit is 0, doesn't it?
Yeah, It was obvious from the start, since that relation between n and k was established assuming limit is 0.

klondike said:
Are you allowed to use infinitesimal of equivalent?
Note that 3(sin(x)-x) and sin(x)-tan(x) are equivalent infinitesimals as x approaches 0. Which makes much less miserable to apply L'Hôpital's rule multiple times.
Hmm... But my problem is not denominator, it's numerator.

What I actually need is to find the value of n so I can find k as well using the relation derived earlier.

For now, I answered the question through glamorous "hit-and-trial" considering it works best if this problem is to be solved under two minutes. Cancelling 4 with n2 with n = 2 and getting k = 5. (And the limit do exist, 0)

AGNuke said:
Yeah, It was obvious from the start, since that relation between n and k was established assuming limit is 0.
You got that relation between n and k, by making the limit of the numerator be zero, not by making the limit of the overall expression be zero.

There's a BIG difference.

Ok, I see your confusion. Let me try.
0/0 in essence is comparing relative order of infinitesimals. Because both numerator and denominator are infinitesimal as x ->0. The relative order of infinitesimal can be analyzed by doing Taylor expansion at point x=0, and look at the *FIRST* surviving term. Fornatutely, in this problem, the first surviving terms pop up pretty quickly.

If I have done my math right, the Taylor expansion at x=0 would be:

[tex]\dfrac{(\dfrac{5n^2}{4}-k)x^2+\dfrac{5n^4}{64} x^4 +o(x^4)}{-\dfrac{1}{2}x^3+o(x^3)}[/tex]

In order for it to have a finite limit, the numerator must not be lower order of infinitesimal than the denominator. That means any lower than cubic power terms in the numerator must die so that numerator is higher order of infinitesimal than the denominator. This is how you get the magic n,k relation.

Once the order of both is determined, the actual limit is determined by the ratio of the second (now the first) surviving term in the numerator and the first in the denominator which is not and will never be dependent of n,k as you can see for the numerator.

Hope that helps.

AGNuke said:
Hmm... But my problem is not denominator, it's numerator.

What I actually need is to find the value of n so I can find k as well using the relation derived earlier.

For now, I answered the question through glamorous "hit-and-trial" considering it works best if this problem is to be solved under two minutes. Cancelling 4 with n2 with n = 2 and getting k = 5. (And the limit do exist, 0)

Last edited:
AGNuke said:
it works best if this problem is to be solved under two minutes.

BTW, when I learned calculus 101, we were required to memorize first few terms of some frequently used Taylor expansion, i.e. trigonometric, inverse-trig, ln(1+x), e^x etc. My prof indeed expected us to solve this kind of problem in a close book exam in 2~3 minutes-:)

klondike said:
BTW, when I learned calculus 101, we were required to memorize first few terms of some frequently used Taylor expansion, i.e. trigonometric, inverse-trig, ln(1+x), e^x etc. My prof indeed expected us to solve this kind of problem in a close book exam in 2~3 minutes-:)
Well, we are also required to remember expansions if we have any hope to steer clear of problems like these in JEE.

What is the indeterminate form of 0/0?

The indeterminate form of 0/0 is a mathematical expression that cannot be solved for a definite value using algebraic methods alone. It requires the use of more advanced techniques, such as L'Hôpital's rule, to determine its limit.

How is the limit of 0/0 related to the concept of infinity?

The limit of 0/0 can be related to the concept of infinity because it represents a situation where the numerator and denominator both approach zero, which can result in an infinitely large or small value depending on the specific function being evaluated.

What is the significance of the variables n and k in determining the existence of the limit of 0/0?

The variables n and k are often used in mathematical expressions involving limits to denote the number of terms or iterations in a sequence. In the context of determining the existence of the limit of 0/0, they may represent the number of terms in a polynomial or the power of a variable in an algebraic expression.

Can the limit of 0/0 exist?

Yes, the limit of 0/0 can exist, but it requires further analysis to determine its value. In some cases, the limit may be finite and well-defined, while in others it may approach infinity or oscillate between different values.

How can L'Hôpital's rule be used to evaluate the limit of 0/0?

L'Hôpital's rule states that the limit of a quotient of two functions is equal to the limit of the derivative of the numerator divided by the derivative of the denominator. This can be applied to the limit of 0/0 by taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator and evaluating the resulting limit.