Where should I apply? PhD in Applied Mathematics

In summary, the speaker is a final year student majoring in Mathematics and minoring in computer science at a California State University. They have a strong academic background with a 3.79 GPA and notable courses in calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and programming. They have also participated in undergraduate research and are interested in the computational side of Applied Math. They are seeking advice on which schools to apply to and are considering retaking the GRE for better scores. The speaker is also advised to have a clear research topic before applying to graduate school.
danesnick
Hello, I am currently in my final year at a California State University majoring in Mathematics (Applied track) and minoring in computer science. I've begun lurking forums such as the physics to figure out what sort of programs I am qualified to apply for, and what be good opportunities as well as available funding.

Here is some of my academic background:

GPA: 3.79
Math GPA: 3.92
GRE - 159 Q / 150 V / ?? A (Took it two days ago, I don't do standardized tests well)

Significant courses taken:
Calculus I-IV - B, A, A, A, respectively.
Ordinary Differential Equations - A
Linear Algebra - A
Sets & Logic (First Proof-based course) - A
Complex Variables - A
Intro to Real Analysis - A
Numerical Analysis - A

Programming Fundamentals (C/C++) - A
Data Structures & Algorithms (C/C++) - A
Discrete Structures - A
Computer Networks - A

Left to take: Into to PDEs, Probability Theory, Abstract Algebra I, Intro to Real Analysis II (Measure Theory), and possibly a Mathematical Modeling course, Advanced Linear Algebra Course, and/or more computer science courses.

Undergraduate Research:
Participated in a NSF-funded REU this summer where I worked on Mathematical Modeling involving Fluid Dynamics (Solved large PDEs using Mathematica and Perturbation methods). Also currently doing a reading course involving Pseudorandom Sequences with a professor at my university and eventually going to have a project to work on and finish hopefully by the end of my last year.

I have started a list of schools, but not sure where I can apply in terms of ranked schools, given my not-so stellar (but not bad) GRE scores. Not entirely sure what I would like to research, but the computational side of Applied Math I don't mind. Any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest applying to ~10 top schools from the top 20 math schools in the US. If having a year not in school is a possibility you aren't willing to consider, then also apply to a couple of backups that you're pretty sure you can get into and that are in places where you think you'd like to live. Get multiple people with excellent writing skills to give comments on your statement of purpose; I see tons of these that students have already sent in, and it breaks my heart because they're so badly written.

1. Retake the GRE. If you think you can do better, DO BETTER.
2. Don't even bother to apply for grad school until you know what you want to do. Unless you're simply applying at your own school where you have the respect of the faculty, you are setting yourself up for failure. You need a research topic. BEFORE YOU APPLY.

1. What are the top universities for a PhD in Applied Mathematics?

Some top universities for a PhD in Applied Mathematics include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, University of California-Berkeley, University of Oxford, and ETH Zurich. However, the best university for you will depend on your research interests and goals.

2. What are the admission requirements for a PhD in Applied Mathematics?

The admission requirements for a PhD in Applied Mathematics vary by university, but generally include a strong academic background in mathematics, statistics, and/or computer science, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and standardized test scores (e.g. GRE). Some programs may also require a writing sample or previous research experience.

3. How do I choose between a PhD in Applied Mathematics and a PhD in Mathematics?

The main difference between a PhD in Applied Mathematics and a PhD in Mathematics is the focus of the research. A PhD in Applied Mathematics typically involves using mathematical and statistical techniques to solve real-world problems in various fields such as engineering, physics, and biology. A PhD in Mathematics, on the other hand, focuses on the development of new mathematical theories and concepts. Consider your interests and career goals to determine which program is the best fit for you.

4. What career opportunities are available with a PhD in Applied Mathematics?

A PhD in Applied Mathematics can lead to a variety of career opportunities in both academia and industry. Some common career paths include research and development, data analysis, financial modeling, and teaching at the university level. Additionally, many government agencies, such as the National Institutes of Health and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, hire individuals with a PhD in Applied Mathematics for their expertise in solving complex problems.

5. What should I look for in a PhD program in Applied Mathematics?

When considering a PhD program in Applied Mathematics, it's important to research the faculty and their areas of expertise, as well as the research opportunities available. Look for programs that align with your research interests and have a strong track record of producing successful graduates. It's also important to consider the location, funding opportunities, and overall fit for your academic and personal goals.