Help Needed: Integral A.dl for Cylinder Surface

In summary: Thanks. So now do I write ds in terms of cylindrical coordinates then integrate cur(lA).n ds? ie. curl(A).n = (0,0,-2) and ds = r.d(theta).dz thus integral is -2 dz? You could also use the Gauss-Weber theorem to solve for the surface integral.
Hoofbeat
Could someone help me with the following question:

====
Q. A = (y,-x,0). Find Integral A.dl for a closed loop on the surface of the cylinder (x-3)^2 + y^2 = 2.
====

I'm managed to ascertain the following:
*I can use Stokes' theorem to solve the problem
*The curl (A) = (0,0,-2)
*Radius = sqrt2
*The normal to the cylinder, n, is equal to k (as cylinder lies in xy plane).

However, I have no clue how to do the actual surface integral! I'm fairly sure I need to transform into cylindrical coordinates, but I honestly have no idea how to use the actual 'cylinder' in the problem (is it to provide the limits?!) not how I form the integral? Please could someone offer some help. Thanks :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hoofbeat said:
Could someone help me with the following question:

====
Q. A = (y,-x,0). Find Integral A.dl for a closed loop on the surface of the cylinder (x-3)^2 + y^2 = 2.
====

I'm managed to ascertain the following:
*I can use Stokes' theorem to solve the problem
*The curl (A) = (0,0,-2)
*Radius = sqrt2
*The normal to the cylinder, n, is equal to k (as cylinder lies in xy plane).

However, I have no clue how to do the actual surface integral! :cool:

It is all right up to now. The surface, for you have to integrate curl A, lies in the xy plane, its boundary is a circle with radius sqrt(2), and you are very lucky as curlA is constant on this surface and is perpendicular to it. You know that to get the surface integral of a vector-vector function A(r) you have to multiply the normal component of A with the surface element and integrate - you have to integrate a constant function now...

ehild

Thanks. So now do I write ds in terms of cylindrical coordinates then integrate cur(lA).n ds? ie.

curl(A).n = (0,0,-2)

and ds = r.d(theta).dz
thus integral is -2 dz?

Last edited:
Hoofbeat said:
Thanks. So now do I write ds in terms of cylindrical coordinates then integrate cur(lA).n ds? ie.

curl(A).n = (0,0,-2)

and ds = r.d(theta).dz
thus integral is -2 dz?

No, you have to integral the curl for the area the line encloses. If dS is the surface element and n is its normal unit vector, you have to calculate

[tex] \int { curl \vec{A}\vec n dS} [/tex].

The curl is constant, so you can write it in front of the integral, and it is multiplied by the projection of the area that is normal to the curl. If the line encloses the axis of the cylinder this area is r^2pi, and it is zero otherwise.

ehild

Last edited:

What is an integral A.dl for cylinder surface?

An integral A.dl for cylinder surface is a mathematical concept used to calculate the surface area of a cylinder. It involves breaking the surface area into small sections and adding them up using calculus.

Why is an integral A.dl for cylinder surface important?

An integral A.dl for cylinder surface is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the surface area of a cylinder, which is useful in many real-world applications such as engineering and architecture.

How is an integral A.dl for cylinder surface calculated?

An integral A.dl for cylinder surface is calculated by taking the limit of a Riemann sum as the number of sections approaches infinity. This involves breaking the cylinder's curved surface into small rectangles and calculating the area of each one.

What are the applications of an integral A.dl for cylinder surface?

An integral A.dl for cylinder surface has many applications in real-world problems, such as calculating the volume of a cylindrical tank, finding the surface area of a pipe, and determining the amount of material needed to cover a cylindrical object.

Are there any other methods for calculating the surface area of a cylinder?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the surface area of a cylinder, such as using the formula A = 2πrh + 2πr2, where r is the radius and h is the height of the cylinder. However, the integral A.dl method is more accurate and can be applied to more complicated curved surfaces.