Determining the atomic number, mass number, and chemical name during beta decay

In summary, during beta decay, the element Thorium (with an atomic number of 90 and a mass number of 233) undergoes two successive decays resulting in a nucleus with an atomic number of 92 and a mass number of 233. The chemical name for this nucleus is Uranium.
Hannah1
Determining the atomic number, mass number, and chemical name during beta decay!

Homework Statement

The image below shows the element Thorium with the atomic number listed above and a mass number of 233. This element undergoes two successive beta decays. The resulting nucleus will have an atomic number of (1) __________ and a mass number of (2) __________. The chemical name for the nucleus is (3) __________.
(BTW, there was no image shown in the homework, but it can be implied that the the atomic number of Thorium is 90.)

Homework Equations

Thorium (Atomic Number = 90)

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) 92
(2) 233
(3) Uranium-233

I submitted these answers on my homework, but I only got 2/3 correct, meaning one of my answers was wrong. What answer was wrong??
Could it be that #3 should just be Uranium (I'm not sure what a chemical name is...)?

Physics news on Phys.org

It should be an easy problem to figure out, but I can't find out how to do it! :(
I feel stupid.

What kind of Beta Decay is this? There are usually two kinds, where there is a positive emission or a negative emission. That might be where you made your error.

Pappers08 said:
What kind of Beta Decay is this? There are usually two kinds, where there is a positive emission or a negative emission. That might be where you made your error.

If it was positive emission then both (1) and (3) would be wrong. So it is negative emission. Maybe the your mistake was that you did not considered that uranium will be charged, since the production of two protons will increase the nucleus charge by 2e and since there is no addition of extra electrons (the electrons from the decay escape from the atom), tha net charge after the decay will be +2e. So, (3) should be [itex]^{233}_{92}[/itex]U+2

It turns out that the correct answer for #3 is "Uranium."
You don't have to add the number at the end.

Well I'm glad you fixed the mistake!

1. What is beta decay?

Beta decay is a type of nuclear decay in which an unstable atom emits an electron (beta particle) or a positron (positive beta particle) in order to achieve a more stable state.

2. How do you determine the atomic number during beta decay?

During beta decay, the atomic number remains the same since only the number of neutrons in the nucleus changes. To determine the atomic number, you can simply count the number of protons in the nucleus of the atom.

3. How do you determine the mass number during beta decay?

The mass number of an atom also remains the same during beta decay, as the total number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus does not change. You can determine the mass number by adding the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus.

4. What is the significance of determining the atomic number and mass number during beta decay?

Determining the atomic number and mass number during beta decay helps in identifying the resulting atom and understanding the type of decay that occurred. It also aids in predicting the properties and behavior of the atom.

5. How do you determine the chemical name during beta decay?

The chemical name of an atom does not change during beta decay, as it is determined by the number of protons in the nucleus. Therefore, the chemical name can be determined by looking at the atomic number, which remains the same during beta decay.