Molar extinction coefficient calculation.

In summary, the student is trying to calculate the extinction coefficient of bovine serum albumin, but does not have any experimental data to support the calculation.
Lahe

Homework Statement

I need to calculate molar extinction coefficient for Albumin at 280nm.

Homework Equations

A=ε*c*L
ε=A/(c*L)
But since L=constant, I can just say ε=A/c

The Attempt at a Solution

The given molecular mass of albumin is 66,5kDa, which equals 66500g/mol. I do understand that I can find c (concentration) via the molecular mass. What I don't understand is how can I find ε if I still have another unknown, which in this case happens to be A.

So: ε(unknown)=A(unknown)/c(known).

Have I missed something really simple and overthinking this for myself? How can I find Absorbance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lahe said:

Homework Statement

I need to calculate molar extinction coefficient for Albumin at 280nm.

Homework Equations

A=ε*c*L
ε=A/(c*L)
But since L=constant, I can just say ε=A/c

The Attempt at a Solution

The given molecular mass of albumin is 66,5kDa, which equals 66500g/mol. I do understand that I can find c (concentration) via the molecular mass. What I don't understand is how can I find ε if I still have another unknown, which in this case happens to be A.

So: ε(unknown)=A(unknown)/c(known).

Have I missed something really simple and overthinking this for myself? How can I find Absorbance?

With an equation relating three things you need two to be able to determine the third.

"How can I find Absorbance?"
You measure it. Or someone else measured it and tells you. Or you know ε and c and calculate it.

We guess you know c. We cannot understand from your question what your problem is and what you are given or know but you are probably overlooking some information you have been given.

I need to calculate ε. In order to do that I need A and c. In this case, though, the only given information is that the molecular mass of albumin is 66,5kDa. I understand I need to know two things in order to determine the third, but I can't find a way to determine the first two in the first place.

Since I've been told to calculate ε I believe I need to know A and c. I do know c, but as of right now I am stuck with trying to determine A in order to calculate c.

Lahe said:
. I do know c, but as of right now I am stuck with trying to determine A in order to calculate c.

Probably a typo as it makes no sense. Your question hardly does - who has asked you to do what and given you what information? There has to be an experimental datum, either a concentration or an absorbance somewhere. The extinction coeffeicient of bovine serum albumin can easily be found on the webv http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_serum_albumin

Determining the extinction coefficient of proteins without experimental data (an absorbance as a function of concentration curve) is not a trivial matter. The absorbance at 280nm buy proteins is due to, mainly, the aromatic side chain amino acids (Tyr, Trp, maybe Phe) under going electronic transitions of the pi system. Therefore the extinction coefficient will vary with size, primary structure, and conformation (due to interactions of the aromatic side chains with other species in the protein's native form). There are calculators out there which estimate the extinction coefficient based on the amino acid sequence, but an experimentally determined Abs([Pro]) curve is used most often.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll leave it undone as of this moment and talk this through with my prof tomorrow. The context of this question/exercise indeed is very "awkward" may I say so. Was searching the internet for hours about this. Positive side was that I found this forum, which I obviously also joined and I'm glad I did. I'll definitely stick around ;)

Thanks again.

1. What is a molar extinction coefficient?

A molar extinction coefficient, also known as the molar absorptivity, is a measurement of the amount of light absorbed by a substance per unit concentration. It is commonly used in spectrophotometry to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution.

2. How is the molar extinction coefficient calculated?

The molar extinction coefficient is calculated by dividing the absorbance of a substance by the product of its concentration and the path length of the light through the solution. This value is then divided by the absorbance of a known concentration of the same substance to obtain a specific molar extinction coefficient value.

3. What factors can affect the molar extinction coefficient?

The molar extinction coefficient can be affected by the wavelength of light used, temperature, solvent, and pH of the solution. It is important to use a consistent wavelength and conditions when calculating the molar extinction coefficient for accurate results.

4. Is the molar extinction coefficient the same for all substances?

No, the molar extinction coefficient is unique for each substance and can vary depending on its chemical structure and properties. It is also dependent on the conditions and solvent used in the measurement.

5. How is the molar extinction coefficient used in research?

The molar extinction coefficient is commonly used in research to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution, especially in biochemistry and molecular biology. It is also used in the study of light absorption and transmission through different substances and in the development of new analytical methods.