New Book: Special Relativity in General Frames by Gourgoulhon

In summary: German...still retains some of the colloquialisms of the latter.In summary, this book is an amazing resource for anyone studying special relativity, and it would be a great addition to any library.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3642372759/?tag=pfamazon01-20

http://www.springer.com/physics/the...+computational+physics/book/978-3-642-37275-9

I have just ordered (actually, my wife did, but she has yet to realize this :biggrin:) this new, comprehensive, advanced book on special relativity. From the content (check the above links for more details), this seems to be an amazing book. Some of the material can be transferred wholesale to frames in general relativity.

1 Minkowski Spacetime
2 Worldlines and Proper Time
3 Observers
4 Kinematics 1
5 Kinematics 2
6 Lorentz Group
7 Lorentz Group as a Lie Group
8 Inertial Observers and Poincare Group
9 Energy and Momentum
10 Angular Momentum
11 Principle of Least Action
12 Accelerated Observers
13 Rotating Observers
14 Tensors and Alternate Forms
15 Fields on Spacetime
16 Integration in Spacetime
17 Electromagnetic Field
18 Maxwell Equations
19 Energy–Momentum Tensor
20 Energy–Momentum of the Electromagnetic Field
21 Relativistic Hydrodynamics
22 What About Relativistic Gravitation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My university let's me download Springer ebooks for free so as soon as I saw this post I downloaded the pdf and my god does this look incredibly, incredibly awesome. This book reminds me a lot of Sachs and Wu's "General Relativity for Mathematicians" but set in more modern notation that's physicist friendly. Chapter 3 in particular looks quite amazing. I'll be ordering the physical text as soon as physically possible. Thanks for bringing this text to attention George :)

Although I must say, with the excitement this book has brought upon me (just by looking at the contents and skimming through chapters 3 and 18, I haven't even delved into the book in detail!) you have made it 100x harder for me to focus all my attention on QFT because there's a very big chance that this book will end up consuming all my time in the coming spring semester :tongue2:

EDIT: And the author uses ##\nabla_{\mu}## instead of the incredibly annoying ##;## for covariant derivatives...this book can't get any better :biggrin:

Last edited:
Yeah the contents of that book stunned me when I first looked, also looks like an advanced book that will throw in baby examples to re-enforce the material - something I'm unfortunately a big fan of. If you do go through parts of it & find cool things I'd love to get motivation to read this book from it ;)

bolbteppa said:
If you do go through parts of it & find cool things I'd love to get motivation to read this book from it ;)

After reading various chapters of the book in much more detail, I can undoubtedly say that the book is absolutely brilliant and easily the best SR book I've personally ever read. In fact the way it presents the chronogeometric framework of SR as well as the mathematical apparatus of tensor fields and tensor calculus on space-time makes it better than a lot of standard GR books IMO (with regards to foundations that is).

My favorite topic in SR and GR has always been rotation so I gravitated towards chapter 13 the most, which deals mostly with the relativistically rotating disk. It goes into great depth on the local and global clock synchronization on the disk, the Sagnac effect, slow clock transport, and the Ehrenfest paradox so as far as rotation in SR goes this chapter is basically perfection. Also there is an entire chapter devoted to the formalism of angular momentum in SR. The book is worth buying just for this.

As the title suggests, the book has a very systematic treatment of frames in SR (which the author carefully distinguishes from coordinate systems); in particular, it spends quite a bit of time developing the 4-rotation of a frame in terms of the Fermi-derivative, which it then later relates to rotation relative to gyroscope axes. Of course standard GR texts like MTW also do this but I felt that this book went into more detail on the topic and in a much clearer manner than MTW. It is also goes into much needed detail on the difference between simultaneity surfaces (as determined by the Einstein simultaneity convention) and orthogonal hyperplanes relativized to an arbitrary observer. MTW does this as well but I feel like this book has a much clearer exposition of this mainly because it writes out explicitly the calculations of the simultaneity hypersurfaces for rotating as well as linearly accelerating observers.

Most of the contents of chapters 17-20 aren't as mind-blowingly amazing as those of chapters 2,3,10,12,13 as I had already seen them done in more detail using more covariant language in Wald's text, Geroch's notes and the likes but there are certain parts of said chapters that stand out like the detailed discussion of synchrotron radiation. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to reading chapter 21 yet.

Also there is no shortage of surprisingly helpful and detailed diagrams throughout the book; it seems like they show up every other page.

Honestly my only complaint is regarding the awkward idiomatic phrases that show up very frequently throughout the book. I suppose it's a side effect of the fact that the English version of this book comes from a French translation but it's no big deal. Also chapters 7 and 8 feel out of place with respect to the rest of the book but that may just be a result of my lack of interest in the subject matter of chapters 7 and 8.

To reiterate, this book is superior to every SR book I have ever seen :smile:

Likes etotheipi

23 Riemannian Manifolds
24 Covariant Derivative
25 Curvature
26 Einstein Equations
27 Gravitational Waves
28 Schwarzschild Solution
29 Black Holes
30 Friedmann–Robertson–Walker Cosmological Models
31 Observing the Universe
32 Appendices

I am always excited to see new books that delve deeper into the complexities of special relativity. Gourgoulhon's book appears to be a comprehensive and advanced resource for understanding this fundamental theory. The inclusion of material on frames in general relativity is particularly intriguing, as it highlights the interconnectedness of these theories.

The book covers a wide range of topics, from basic concepts like worldlines and observers to more advanced topics such as gravitational waves and black holes. It also includes appendices for additional reference and clarification.

I am especially interested in the chapters on the Lorentz Group and its relation to the Poincare group, as well as the sections on energy and momentum. These are crucial concepts in special relativity and I am curious to see how Gourgoulhon presents them.

Overall, I believe this book will be a valuable resource for both students and researchers in the field of special relativity. I look forward to reading it and incorporating its insights into my own work.

1. What is the main focus of "New Book: Special Relativity in General Frames by Gourgoulhon"?

The main focus of this book is to provide a comprehensive understanding of special relativity in general frames, which is a branch of physics that deals with the effects of relative motion and acceleration on the laws of physics.

2. Who is the author of this book?

The author of this book is Eric Gourgoulhon, a renowned physicist and professor at the University of Paris in France.

3. What is special relativity and why is it important?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the behavior of objects in motion at high speeds. It is important because it has revolutionized our understanding of space and time, and has played a crucial role in the development of modern physics.

4. What makes this book unique compared to other books on special relativity?

This book stands out from others because it delves into the topic of special relativity in general frames, which is a more advanced and complex concept that is not covered in many other books on the subject. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to help readers grasp the material more effectively.

5. Who is the target audience for this book?

This book is primarily aimed at advanced undergraduate and graduate students in physics and astronomy, as well as researchers and professionals in these fields who are interested in gaining a deeper understanding of special relativity in general frames.