Angular Momentum and Forces

In summary, a massless rectangular parallelepiped with equal masses attached to its vertices is rotating around its major diagonal with a constant velocity. To find the forces acting on the two vertices on the axis of rotation, we need to consider the centripetal forces acting on the non-rotating masses and resolve them along the wires attached to each vertex. We also need to find the distance of each particle from the axis of rotation, as well as confirm that the parallelepiped is an orthogonal one.
No Name Required
I have this question I am having trouble with.
A massless rectangular parallelepiped with sides [tex]a, a[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{a}[/tex] has equal masses attached to its vertices. It is rotating around its major diagonal with a constant velocity [tex]\Omega[/tex]. Find the forces acting on the two vertices on the axis of rotation.
I'm confused by the fact that I am trying to find a force even though its rotating with a constant angular velocity. Would this force not create a torque hence changing the angular velocity.
A hint or bit of explanation to get me going would be very helpful please :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you say what forces are acting on any of the masses ?

Centripetal forces? But if that is the case, why does it say find the force acting on the two VERTICES. That confuses me... Or is vertices correct? If so then the problem is basicall one of finding the distance of each particle from axis of rotation yea?

Yes. It's centripetal forces that are acting on the masses that are not on the axis of rotation.

I'm asssuming that the parallelepiped is a wire-frame composed of massless wires where the centripetal force on each rotating mass is resolved along the three wires attached to each vertex/"rotating mass."
These resolved forces will then "meet up" at one of the non-rotating masses.

In addition, you will need to find that distance you mentioned.

This parallelepiped. It is an orthogaonal one, yes ? i.e. a cuboid.

Last edited:

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotation around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia (how much resistance it has to rotational motion) by its angular velocity (how fast it is rotating).

2. How is angular momentum related to forces?

According to Newton's second law of motion, an object's angular momentum will change when a net torque (a rotational force) is applied to it. This change in angular momentum is directly proportional to the magnitude of the torque and the time it is applied.

3. Can angular momentum be conserved?

Yes, angular momentum can be conserved in a closed system with no external torque acting on it. This means that the total amount of angular momentum remains constant, even if individual objects within the system are experiencing changes in their angular momentum.

4. How does changing the distribution of mass affect angular momentum?

When the distribution of mass in an object changes, its moment of inertia also changes. This means that its angular momentum can change even if its angular velocity remains constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular momentum?

Examples of angular momentum in everyday life include spinning tops, revolving planets, and the rotation of objects like wheels or gears. It is also important in sports, such as ice skating and gymnastics, where angular momentum is used to create spins and rotations in movements.