I need to know how to figure this problem out.

• Thread starter HappMatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the given problem is asking for the value of f(3) in a quadratic function, with given values for f(0), f(1), and f(2). The answer is option b. The solution involves using the formula f(x)= ax2+ bx+ c and solving for the unknown coefficients. The correct formula is (-1/2)x^2+(5/2)x. The error in the student's solution was forgetting the "2" in the denominator.
HappMatt
Im doing a practice test for a asmaytic(not sure how its spelled) and i have the answer but am just unsure of how i was supposed to figure it out. Alright, here's the problem.

if "f" is a quadriatic function with f(0)=0, f(1)=2, and f(2)=3, then f(3)=?
a.4 b.3 c.13/4 E.4

the answer is supposed to be b. but i have no clue how they got that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What does it mean that f is "a quadratic function"?

well I am not to sure besideds the fact that i think its a parabola

No, a parabola is a graph. It is true that the graph of any quadratic function is a parabola. A quadratic function is a function that can be written in the form f(x)= ax2+ bx+ c- that's what you are thinking of. I suspect that any test asking such a question will assume you know more than that! Do you notice there are 3 "unknown" coefficients in that? Putting in the three values given for x and y will give you three equations to solve for a, b, c. Once you know that, you can find f(3).
There are easier ways to do this problem but that is the most straightforward.

well I am still working on this, i just got off of work and I am definately getting a litle annoyed since i still can't figure this out. the reson i brought up the fact that's ist a parabola is that from the best of my knowledge a porabola is never a horizontal line such as y=3 yet, if f(2)=3 and f(3)=3 the what we are seeing is a horizonal line and that should be impossible in a quadriatic for many reasons. I did a system of equations and found an equation that works for all given values yet of course when f(3) was entered into the equation its output was 6. I used the equation(-1/2)x^2+(5/2)x+0. As for the test its actually just for extra credit and is different from what i am currently studying in that the test is more algebra based and at my school you have to be in calc 1 or precalc to take it so right now I am actually doing a lot more with dirivatives than i am with algebra, so this stuff isn't exactly the freshish in my head.

HappMatt said:
well I am still working on this, i just got off of work and I am definately getting a litle annoyed since i still can't figure this out. the reson i brought up the fact that's ist a parabola is that from the best of my knowledge a porabola is never a horizontal line such as y=3 yet, if f(2)=3 and f(3)=3 the what we are seeing is a horizonal line and that should be impossible in a quadriatic for many reasons. I did a system of equations and found an equation that works for all given values yet of course when f(3) was entered into the equation its output was 6. I used the equation(-1/2)x^2+(5/2)x+0. As for the test its actually just for extra credit and is different from what i am currently studying in that the test is more algebra based and at my school you have to be in calc 1 or precalc to take it so right now I am actually doing a lot more with dirivatives than i am with algebra, so this stuff isn't exactly the freshish in my head.
f(x)= (-1/2)x^2+(5/2)x is, in fact, the correct formula.
f(0)= 0, f(1)= -1/2+ 5/2= 2, f(2)= (-1/2)(4)+ (5/2)(2)= -2+ 5= 3 and
f(3)= (-1/2)(9)+(5/2)(3)= (-9+ 15)/2= 6/2= 3.
Apparently, you simply forgot the "2" in the denominator!

1. How do I approach solving a problem as a scientist?

As a scientist, the first step in solving a problem is to clearly define the problem and gather all necessary information and data. Then, you can use the scientific method to form a hypothesis, design experiments to test your hypothesis, and analyze your results to draw conclusions.

2. What resources can I use to help me figure out a problem?

There are many resources available to scientists to help with problem-solving. These can include textbooks, scientific journals, online databases, peer-reviewed articles, and collaboration with other scientists.

3. How can I determine the best approach to solving a problem?

The best approach to solving a problem will depend on the nature of the problem and the available resources. It is important to carefully analyze the problem, brainstorm potential solutions, and consider the strengths and limitations of each approach before deciding on the best course of action.

4. How can I make sure my problem-solving process is accurate and reliable?

To ensure accuracy and reliability in problem-solving, it is important to carefully document all steps and decisions made throughout the process. This allows for transparency and reproducibility, which are essential in scientific research. Additionally, it is important to use sound methods and techniques and to critically evaluate the validity of your results.

5. What do I do if I encounter unexpected challenges or roadblocks in solving a problem?

In scientific problem-solving, unexpected challenges and roadblocks are common. It is important to remain persistent and open-minded, and to re-evaluate your approach if necessary. Seeking advice and input from colleagues or experts in the field can also be helpful in finding solutions to difficult problems.