Dynamic application of torque with center of mass

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a uniform meter stick with a half-filled can of fruit juice attached to one end. The stick and can balance at a point 33.0 cm from the end of the stick, and when suspended from a scale, the reading is 2.70 N. The solution involves finding the mass of the meter stick and the can, using the sum of torques and gravity. The final answer is m1 (meter-stick) = 0.1835 kg and m2 (can) = 0.09174 kg.
SoccaCrazy24
ok here is the problem

<br>A uniform meter stick of mass M has a half-filled can of fruit juice of mass m attached to one end. The meter stick and the can balance at a point 33.0 cm from the end of the stick where the can is attached. When the balanced stick-can system is suspended from a scale, the reading on the scale is 2.70 N.
<br>(a) Find the mass of the meter stick.
<br>(b) Find the mass of the can of juice.

Well I am pretty sure that the side with the can on it... will be of greater mass than the other side...

And I also know that the sum of the torques should equal zero, right?

Well i can find the "mass" at the center of mass to be... m = F/a m=2.70/9.81 = .259 kg

what I did at first was divide the mass in half and tried to set the meter stick in portions and add the totals assuming the portions were equal in mass around, but somebody told me that was wrong... I am somewhat lost... please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
the sum of torques AROUND THE AXIS OF ROTATION
(the point of suspension) is zero.
How far from the suspension point is the center-of-mass of the meter-stick?
How far is the can?

By the way, the Force by gravity on a mass is F = m g ...
this setup has acceleration = 0 , so you'd better NOT divide by a !

well the center of mass of the meter-stick is 17.0 cm to the left of the AXIS OF ROTATION... and the can is 33.0 cm to the right of the AXIS OF ROTATION... and torque = r * F... so then the sum of torques = 0 = (r1*F1 +r2*F2) right? so... 0 = .17*F1 + .33*F2 ... but i know the Force at the AXIS OF ROTATION is 2.70 N but where would I use that?

one of those x-coordinates has to be negative, usually the one on the left.

so m1 is twice as heavy as m2.

you know that F1 + F2 = - 2.7 N

so assuming F1=(2)F2 then F1=1.8 N and F2=.9N so... then would i be able to use gravity (a=9.81 m/s2) to figure out the mass or no? if so.. the answer would be... m1 (meter-stick)=.1835 and m2 (can)=.09174 is this right?

You calculated, NOT assumed, that F1 = 33/17 F2 .
so, it's not exactly a factor of 2 ... so re-do with 33 (not 34) /17.

(again, gravity is a field with units [N/kg] ; nothing accelerates here!)

well... F1 = 1.94 (F2) so... FTotal= 2.70N = [1.94(F2) + F2] = 2.94(F2)
F2=.918N and F1= 1.782N
the answer wants it in kg... so how would I transform this into kg if I cannot divide by gravity?

You DO divide by gravity ... dividing by g[N/kg] leaves [kg]

what you do NOT do is divide by an acceleration (a) ,
since the acceleration in this case is = 0.
gravity is "g" , NOT "a" ! Do NOT confuse cause (g) with effect (acceleration)

1. What is torque and how is it related to the center of mass?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is closely related to the center of mass because the location of an object's center of mass affects the amount of torque needed to rotate it.

2. How is torque applied to an object's center of mass?

To apply torque to an object's center of mass, a force must be applied at a distance from the center of mass. This distance is known as the lever arm and is perpendicular to the direction of the force. The longer the lever arm, the more torque is produced.

3. What is the significance of dynamic application of torque with center of mass?

The dynamic application of torque with center of mass is important because it allows for a more efficient use of force to produce rotation. By applying torque at the object's center of mass, the force is distributed evenly and less energy is wasted.

4. Can torque be applied to any object's center of mass?

Yes, torque can be applied to any object's center of mass as long as there is a pivot point or axis of rotation. It is important to consider the location of the center of mass and the direction of the applied force in order to produce the desired rotation.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect the dynamic application of torque?

The distribution of mass plays a crucial role in the dynamic application of torque. Objects with more mass concentrated at their center of mass require less force to rotate compared to objects with the same mass but with the mass distributed farther away from the center of mass.