The world's greatest thrill ride

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the impressive feat of surfing on a monster wave, which can reach up to 50+ feet in height. The use of watercraft and helicopters has made it easier and safer for surfers to catch these waves, but it is still extremely dangerous. Some surfers even take compressed air tanks with them in case they are pulled down for extended periods of time. The conversation also mentions the adrenaline rush and danger associated with the sport.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
IMO a leading contender
http://www.big-boys.com/articles/hurricaneivan.html

When the wave breaks, a blast of air and water known as blow-out hits the surfer at something over 120 MPH, I would guess. How he manages to stay up... Wow!

Two things in life that I would really like to do but never will: One is to fly a near state-of-the-art fighter jet, the other is to do what that guy just did.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thats the kind of thing you can watch and you can feel the salt water start stinging your nose. The little surfing I have done was enough to let me know ..water is very painful.

I don't know about you guys but the pucker factor of that video is about 16 million scoville units if you ask me. That wave just keep getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger...

Since they started used using water craft to tow the surfers it is much easier and safer to catch the monster waves. Of course its still just as dangerous if you catch one. If these 50+ footers [as measured from the back] don't break your neck, or smash you into a coral reef and turn you into hamburger, it will pull you down for up to minutes at a time. In fact, when we were at North Shore in Hawaii - the home of moster waves - I was told that one can be pulled down for up to five minutes. So now what the biggest and baddest boys do is to take a small compressed air tank with five or ten minutes worth of air. Also, since larger waves break farther out than do smaller ones, many people have helicopter drops done in order to avoid a mile or two of paddling; and worse, having to get past the breaks!

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Now what the biggest and baddest boys do is to take a small compressed air tank with five or ten minutes worth of air. Also, since larger waves break farther out than do smaller ones, many people have helicopter drops done in order to avoid a mile or two of paddling
Wow. :bugeye:

1. What makes "The world's greatest thrill ride" stand out from other roller coasters?

The world's greatest thrill ride is designed with cutting-edge technology and engineering to provide the most intense and exhilarating experience possible. It features record-breaking speeds, heights, and inversions that are unmatched by other roller coasters.

2. Is "The world's greatest thrill ride" safe?

Yes, safety is the top priority when designing and operating "The world's greatest thrill ride." It undergoes rigorous testing and inspections to ensure that all safety measures are in place and functioning properly. Additionally, riders are required to follow all safety instructions and guidelines.

3. How long is the ride duration?

The duration of "The world's greatest thrill ride" varies depending on the specific design of the roller coaster, but on average, it lasts between 2-3 minutes. However, the intense and fast-paced nature of the ride can make it feel much longer.

4. Can anyone ride "The world's greatest thrill ride"?

Due to the extreme nature of "The world's greatest thrill ride," there are height and weight restrictions in place for safety reasons. Typically, riders must be at least 48 inches tall and weigh under 250 pounds. Some roller coasters may also have age restrictions.

5. How does "The world's greatest thrill ride" impact the environment?

Roller coasters, in general, have a relatively small impact on the environment compared to other forms of transportation. The construction process and maintenance of "The world's greatest thrill ride" may require some land clearing, but efforts are made to minimize any negative effects on the surrounding environment. Additionally, some roller coasters use eco-friendly technology, such as solar power, to reduce their carbon footprint.