Understanding Transfer Function Notation in Circuit Engineering

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding notation used in a book on basic circuit engineering. The person is curious about the convention used for the transfer function and the jump from \tau_1 to \tau_3 and the starting with \zeta_3 in the numerator. The book is "Basic Engineering Circuit Analysis" 8th Edition and the notation being discussed is from an infinite series expansion of the transfer function. The person also provides a general expression for the transfer function in the form given in the original post.
FrogPad
Just a quick question about some notation used in my book.

The proper form of the transfer function used in my book is as follows:

[tex] \bar H(j\omega) = \frac{K_0(j\omega)^{\pm N} (1+j\omega\tau_1)(1+2\zeta_3(j\omega\tau_3)+(j\omega\tau_3)^2)\cdot\cdot\cdot }{(1+j\omega \tau_a)(1+2\zeta_b(j \omega \tau_b)+(j \omega \tau_b)^2 )\cdot \cdot \cdot}[/tex]

I'm kinda just being picky here, but I would like to understand the convention that they used.

Why the jump from [itex] \tau_1 [/itex] to [itex] \tau_3 [/itex], the choice of starting with [itex] \zeta_3 [/itex] in the numerator. Just curious if someone could shed some light on this.

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this in circuits, controls, vibrations...? What is the topic?

By the looks of it, it's a formulation from an infinite series.

Woops I forgot about this post :blushing:

Sorry, I should have specified where this came from. This is from a basic circuit engineering course, specfically from the book: "Basic Engineering Circuit Analsysis" 8th Edition, Irwin/Nelms.

It looks like an expansion of some sort. The lecture notes have been very good, so I haven't been reading chapters like I typically do, just skimming them...it looks like I missed a page or two.

[tex] \bar H(s) = \frac{N(s)}{D(s)}=\frac{K_0(s-z_1)(s-z_2)\cdot \cdot \cdot(s-z_m)}{(s-p_1)(s-p_2)\cdot\cdot\cdot(s-p_n)} [/tex] (1)

where:
[tex] s= j\omega [/tex]
[tex] N(s) =[/tex] a polynomial of degree m
[tex] D(s) =[/tex] a polynomial of degree n

Also, it says that in general (1) can be expressed in the form that I gave in the OP. Hope that helps clear things up.

1. What is transfer function notation?

Transfer function notation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It is commonly used in the field of control systems and signal processing.

2. How is transfer function notation written?

Transfer function notation is typically written in the form of H(s), where s is the Laplace variable. The transfer function can also be written as a ratio of polynomials in s.

3. What is the purpose of using transfer function notation?

The purpose of transfer function notation is to simplify and analyze the behavior of a system. It allows for the calculation of important system properties such as stability and frequency response.

4. How is transfer function notation different from other notations?

Transfer function notation differs from other notations, such as state-space notation, in that it focuses on the input-output relationship of a system rather than the internal states of the system. It is also used specifically for linear systems.

5. How is transfer function notation used in engineering and science?

Transfer function notation is used extensively in engineering and science to model and analyze the behavior of systems. It is commonly used in fields such as control systems, signal processing, and electrical engineering.