Comparing Bowling Ball Times on an Incline

In summary, the Flintstones and Rubbles found that the new inclined bowling alley was a lot of fun. Betty's ball and Wilma's ball had the same speed when they hit the pins, but Wilma's ball was able to go further than Betty's ball. Barney's ball was the slowest of the three, but it still hit the pins.
Punchlinegirl
The Flintstones and Rubbles decide to try out the new inclined bowling alley, ``Bedslant Bowling''. Fred's ball and Barney's ball have the same size, but Barney's ball is hollow. Betty's ball and Wilma's ball are scaled down versions of Fred's ball and Barney's ball respectively. They all place their bowling balls on the same pitch incline and release them from rest at the same time. For the questions below the choices are greater than, less than, or equal to. I put my answer beside them.

The time it takes for Betty's ball to hit the pins is ... that for Barney's ball to hit. *less than*
The time it takes for Wilma's ball to hit the pins is ... that for Fred's ball to hit. *greater than*
The time it takes for Barney's ball to hit the pins is ... that for Wilma's ball to hit. *greater than*
The time it takes for Betty's ball to hit the pins is ... that for Wilma's ball to hit. *less than*
The time it takes for Betty's ball to hit the pins is ... that for Fred's ball to hit. *equal*
The time it takes for Fred's ball to hit the pins is ... that for Barney's ball to hit *less than*

Here's what I did to solve the problem. First I found the moment of inertia for all of the balls. I used masses of 2 kg for the bigger ones, and 1 kg for the smaller ones. The radiuses I used were also 2 and 1 m for bigger & smaller balls.
Fred- (2/5)MR^2 = (2/5)(2)(2^2)= 3.2 kgm^2
Betty- (2/5)MR^2= (2/5)(1)(1^2)= .4 kgm^2
Barney- MR^2= (2)(2^2)= 8 kgm^2
Wilma- MR^2= (1)(1^2)= 1 kgm^2

I then used conservation of energy to find the velocity
[tex] mgH= (1/2)mv^2 + (1/2)I \omega^2 [/tex]
Solving for v gave me: [tex] \sqrt 2mgh/ m+ (I/R^2) [/tex]
I then plugged in my moments of inertia to get the velocities for the balls.
Fred's= 11.8 m/s
Betty= 11.8 m/s
Barney= 8.08 m/s
Wilma= 9.90 m/s
Then I compared the velocities to see which ball would get to the bottom faster, but not all of them are right. Can someone help me? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are going to numbers to fast. Do not compute a value for I, you do not have either radius or mass, perhaps the numbers you have picked are a special case. You need to keep your expression for the velocity general.

Hint: Velocity can be expressed in terms of M alone.

the only way I can think of to express velocity with M is with kinetic energy. Is that the right approach?

Your approach is fine, just retain the variables and leave out the specific numbers, they do not help and may mislead.

I got it. You're right it's easier with just variables. Thank you!

1. How does the slope of the incline affect the speed of the bowling ball?

The slope of the incline can greatly affect the speed of the bowling ball. The steeper the incline, the faster the ball will roll down due to the force of gravity pulling it downwards. On the other hand, a less steep incline will result in a slower speed.

2. Is it easier or harder to hit a strike when bowling on an incline?

Bowling on an incline can make it both easier and harder to hit a strike. The slope can make it easier to knock down the pins if the ball is rolling straight down the incline towards them. However, if the slope is at an angle, it can be more difficult to hit a strike as the ball may veer off course.

3. How does the friction between the ball and the incline affect the game?

The friction between the ball and the incline can greatly impact the game. If there is a lot of friction, the ball will slow down and may not reach the pins with enough force to knock them down. However, if there is minimal friction, the ball may roll too fast and overshoot the pins.

4. Can the angle of the incline be adjusted to make the game more challenging?

Yes, the angle of the incline can be adjusted to make the game more challenging. A steeper incline will require more skill and precision to hit a strike, while a less steep incline may be easier for beginners.

5. Are there any safety concerns with bowling on an incline?

Yes, there are some safety concerns with bowling on an incline. It is important to make sure the incline is stable and secure to avoid any accidents. Additionally, players should be cautious when walking on the incline to avoid slipping and falling.