How Does Physics Solve Practical Problems Involving Forces and Motion?

• Thread starter Cowtipper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: The coefficient of kinetic friction between the road and the tires is 0.30, and the car is traveling at 50 kilometers per hour, the car would have to travel 3.16 seconds to stop from 50 kilometers away.
Cowtipper
1. A woman is towing a 20.0 kg suitcase at a constant speed by pulling on a strap that is at angle Z above the horizontal. She pulls on the strap with a 35.0 Newton force, and the friction force on the suitcase is 20.0 Newtons. What normal force does the ground exert on the suitcase?

I have found that the angle is 55.2 degrees, and I know that the answer to the question is 167 Newtons. I just don't know how to get there...

2. An object with mass m1 = 5.00 kg rests on a frictionless horizontal table and is connected to a cable that passes over a pulley and is then fastened to a hanging object with mass m2 = 10.0 kg. Find the acceleration of each object and the tension in the cable.

3. m1 = 10 kg and m2 = 4.0 kg. The coefficient of static friction between m1 and the horizontal surface is 0.50, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.30.

(a) If the system is released from rest, what will its acceleration be?

(b) If the system is set in motion with m2 moving downward, what will be the acceleration of the system?

4. A box of books weighing 300 N is shoved across the floor of an apartment by a force of 400N exerted downward at an angle of 35.2 degrees below the horizontal. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between box and floor is 0.570, how long does it take to move the box 4.00 m, starting from rest?

5. A car is traveling at 50.o km/hr on a flat highway.

(a) If the coefficient of friction between road and tires on a rainy day is 0.100, what is the minimum distance in which the car will stop?

(b) What ist he stopping distance when the surface is dry and the coefficient of friction is 0.600?

Thanks so much for any help. I'm not looking for answers, just how to get started and where to go...

Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw free-body diagrams! Label all the forces.

1. What is the definition of the normal force? What do you need in order to find it?

For the rest of these, you really must draw free-body diagrams. They let you see what's really going on.

sephirothrr said:
Draw free-body diagrams! Label all the forces.

1. What is the definition of the normal force? What do you need in order to find it?

For the rest of these, you really must draw free-body diagrams. They let you see what's really going on.

89rxr7m.jpg

This is for number 2. Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?

Not quite. Draw each block separately, and draw all the forces that act on the block as arrows in their respective directions.

Okay, I have solved number two: a) 6.54 m/s^2 and b) 32.7 N.

Number three, I've solved a), it is 0. But b) still confuses me.

I've gotten this far:

T=tension
Ff=force of friction
m=mass
g=gravity
a=acceleration

T-Ff = μmg = ma
T-Ff = 0.3(10)(9.81) = 10a
T-29.43 = 10a

And that's just about as far as I've gotten on that one. Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks!

Number four has been solved.

This is number four:

4. A box of books weighing 300 N is shoved across the floor of an apartment by a force of 400N exerted downward at an angle of 35.2 degrees below the horizontal. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between box and floor is 0.570, how long does it take to move the box 4.00 m, starting from rest?

This is what I did:

FNormalVertical = 400Nsin35.2 + 300N = 530.6N
FNormalHorizontal = 400cos35.2 Ffriction = 326.9N - Ffriction
Ffriction (also known as μFNormal) = 0.570(530.6N) = 302.4N
Fnet (also known as mass*acceleration) = 326.9N - 302.4N = 24.5N
mass = 300N/9.81 = 30.6kg
24.5N = 30.6kg(acceleration) = 24.5N/30.6kg = .801 = acceleration
d=velocityinitial(t) + 1/2(acceleration)(time^2)
4meters=0(t) + 1/2(0.801m/s/s)(time^2)
4meters=1/2(0.801m/s/s)(time^2)
4meters=.4005(time^2) = 4meters/.4005 = time^2 = 9.988 = t^2 = sqrt(9.988) = t = 3.16 seconds

Woo!

These ones are still puzzling me though.

3. m1 = 10 kg and m2 = 4.0 kg. The coefficient of static friction between m1 and the horizontal surface is 0.50, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.30.

(b) If the system is set in motion with m2 moving downward, what will be the acceleration of the system?

5. A car is traveling at 50.o km/hr on a flat highway.

(a) If the coefficient of friction between road and tires on a rainy day is 0.100, what is the minimum distance in which the car will stop?

(b) What ist he stopping distance when the surface is dry and the coefficient of friction is 0.600?

Thanks again.

I am having trouble with Question 5, i too was assigned this problem and after a bit of tinkering and looking at the formulas i still cannot figure out how you could get the distance it would take to stop the car with only the speed and the co-efficient of Kinetic Friction.
I figure:

fK=(.1)*N

Seeing as we are not given the Weight of the car I don't see how i could figure out the normal force...

Were i to find the normal force and then the friction that would get me the acceleration and i could just plug my variables into:

deltaX= V0*T+(.5)(A)(T2) but sadly i can't get to this step.

I'm sure I am missing something blatantly obvious but that's why i need help >.< thanks

What is the purpose of physics?

The purpose of physics is to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe, from the smallest particles to the largest galaxies. It helps us to explain and predict how objects move, interact, and behave in different environments.

How does physics help in everyday life?

Physics plays a crucial role in our everyday lives. It helps us understand the functioning of everyday objects such as cars, computers, and smartphones. It also explains natural phenomena like gravity, electricity, and light, which are essential for our daily activities.

What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics has countless real-world applications, such as in engineering, medicine, and technology. Some examples include designing and building bridges, developing new medical imaging techniques, and creating advanced technologies like lasers and GPS systems.

Why is it important to study physics?

Studying physics is important because it helps us gain a deeper understanding of the world around us. It also helps us develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in many fields. Additionally, many modern advancements and innovations are based on principles of physics.

What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception about physics is that it is only for geniuses or those who are good at math. In reality, anyone can understand and appreciate the basic principles of physics with the right approach and effort. Another misconception is that physics is boring or irrelevant, when in fact it is a fascinating and constantly evolving field that has a significant impact on our daily lives.