RF Design Help: Re-Learn and Combine 2 Networks

• Thread starter dnyberg2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design Rf
In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on re-learning RF design, specifically in regards to combining two simple LC filters with the same source simultaneously. They are questioning the impedance and potential negative effects on the second filter's response. They are advised to use a balun transformer with a winding ratio of 1:2 and to look into power combiners/splitters. The frequency range is 10.7 MHz and 49 MHz, with each filter being a 3rd order filter and the source impedance ranging from 20 ohms to 300 ohms. This is all part of an experiment to understand and create diplexers and duplexers.
dnyberg2
I'm having to re-learn RF design after years of not doing it. Can someone lead me in the right direction? If I have two RF networks, say two simple LC filters and I need to feed them both in parallel with the same source simultaneously, what are the steps? To make it easy, say each filter is 50 ohms in and out, filter one is a low pass filter, filter two is a high pass filter. I need to join the two inputs together, fed by the same source, so does that mean they look like 25 ohms in parallel? How do you make sure that the one filter which works fine doesn't have a bad effect on the second filters response?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes the transmission line should see 25 Ohm. But if you want to be sure you can calculate the whole thing with complex resistances. If I remember correctly a balun transformer with a winding ratio of 1:2 will do the impedance matching, if you want to split the line in two.

0xDEADBEEF said:
Yes the transmission line should see 25 Ohm. But if you want to be sure you can calculate the whole thing with complex resistances. If I remember correctly a balun transformer with a winding ratio of 1:2 will do the impedance matching, if you want to split the line in two.
I wonder if you could sketch that topology and get it to me?

Look into power combiners/splitters. Sounds to me like that is what you need.

Approximately what frequency is it for and are the two filters for a single frequency or for a range of frequencies? If for a range of frequencies, how broad a range? Also how many elements are in the low pass and high pass filters?

Each filter is only a 3rd order filter at the moment. One is set to 10.7 MHz and the other is set to 49 MHz. This experiment revolves around understanding and trying to create diplexers and duplexers. The source impedance of the 49 MHz is around 20 ohms, the source impedance of the 10.7 is 300 ohms, the single I/O port needs to be 50 ohms.

1. What is RF design?

RF design, also known as radio frequency design, is the process of designing and optimizing wireless communication systems and devices. This includes the design of antennas, transmitters, receivers, and other electronic components to achieve efficient and reliable wireless communication.

2. What is the purpose of combining two networks in RF design?

The purpose of combining two networks in RF design is to improve overall network performance and increase coverage. By combining the strengths of each network, it is possible to create a more robust and efficient communication system.

3. How can I re-learn RF design principles?

The best way to re-learn RF design principles is through hands-on experience and practice. You can also take courses or workshops on RF design, read books and articles, and consult with experienced professionals in the field.

4. What are some common challenges in RF design?

Some common challenges in RF design include interference from other wireless devices, signal loss due to distance or obstructions, and optimizing network performance for different environments and conditions.

5. What are some important factors to consider when designing an RF network?

When designing an RF network, important factors to consider include frequency bands and channel allocations, antenna placement and type, power and signal strength requirements, data rate and throughput needs, and potential sources of interference.