Net Neutrality, the FCC, and you wake up

• News
  • Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fcc Net
In summary, the FCC's net neutrality rules will prevent ISPs from blocking or discriminating against content, slowing down service for "heavy" users, or charging extra fees for delivering certain types of content. The rules also allow providers to ration access to their networks, but prevent them from blocking or discriminating against content that competes with their own services.
rhody said:
As silly as this sounds, if they changed their offer to the 3Mbps would that satisfy you ? I doubt it. Second, based on their technology, what is the best speed that could be achieved to their customer base ? Do noisy ancient phone lines contribute to the problem ? I imagine that they would.

Rhody...
They're probabaly oversubscribed since they're the only provider.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rhody said:
As silly as this sounds, if they changed their offer to the 3Mbps would that satisfy you ? I doubt it. Second, based on their technology, what is the best speed that could be achieved to their customer base ? Do noisy ancient phone lines contribute to the problem ? I imagine that they would.

Rhody...
I live only a mile from the switch, and the copper pair comes up shining every time. The problem is not on my end. TDS http://www.tdstelecom.com/?eid=276&gclid=COeD3tz-1qsCFULe4AodLwT0TA sells more bandwidth than they can provide and throttles customers. This is not about net neutrality in the sense that an ISP throttles access to certain providers. My complaint is about dishonest ISPs that promise more bandwidth than they can possibly deliver and then throttle their clients to reduce their costs. If you are promising 5Mbsp to X customers, then you should be willing to pay for 5Mbps times X customers worth of traffic across the Internet's backbone. If not, you are cheating all the customers. Please watch "The Producers" to see how creeps use over-selling to enrich themselves.

rhody said:
I ran speak easy last night from San Fran 29.3 Mb download and 5.7 Mb upload.

16.91 / 4.53 for me using Speakeasy.net, but that was from the nearest server (Dallas). From San Fran I get 16.91 / 4.53, which I really find spooky that it's exactly the same, unless they're fudging the test!

It's 16.2 / 4.1 using Speedtest.net.

turbo said:
My complaint is about dishonest ISPs that promise more bandwidth than they can possibly deliver and then throttle their clients to reduce their costs.

I thought that was happening with me when I moved here from Florida over the summer, but I discovered when I connect my computer directly to their DSL modem, I get 38 Mbps. The problem has something to do with my wireless router. Even connecting via a hardline with my router, I get the same problem, so it's not my wireless (I have G).

Of course I don't feel comfortable connecting directly to the Internet, so I accept the loss. For now.

DoggerDan said:
\I thought that was happening with me when I moved here from Florida over the summer, but I discovered when I connect my computer directly to their DSL modem, I get 38 Mbps.
Their dsl modem? What do you mean?

Of course I don't feel comfortable connecting directly to the Internet, so I accept the loss. For now.
What do you mean "connect directly to the internet"?

Evo said:
Their dsl modem? What do you mean?

My ISP's DSL modem. They own it. I rent it.

What do you mean "connect directly to the internet"?

As in the most direct route available, bypassing my wireless access point. I'm sure it goes through a few more connections handled by my ISP

Edit: ooops, I accidently edited your post, so sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
DoggerDan said:
My ISP's DSL modem. They own it. I rent it.
ISP's don't have modems for dsl. You pay for shared connectivity to their service, along with all the rest of their customers.

As in the most direct route available, bypassing my wireless access point. I'm sure it goes through a few more connections handled by my ISP.
If you're using a wireless router at home, your connection still leaves your house via the phone line, same as if you just used your regular dsl modem/router. I've heard of people having issues with their wireless routers degrading service, but that's just at your house. You're still directly connecting to your ISP.

Evo said:
ISP's don't have modems for dsl.

Yes they do. Here's the type of DSL modem I'm renting from my ISP: http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=200

I don't use it's wireless feature as I don't trust its security, as per the recommendation of the installer, whose been working for my ISP for eighteen years.

If you're using a wireless router at home, your connection still leaves your house via the phone line...

That's how a DSL modem works.

I've heard of people having issues with their wireless routers degrading service, but that's just at your house. You're still directly connecting to your ISP.

No, I'm not. I'm connecting through my wireless router. My laptop is connected to my wireless router. The router is directly connected to my ISP's DSL modem. With my router in place, I get less than 20 Mbps. When I remove it, connecting my laptop directly to my ISP's DSL modem, the throughput jumps to more than 37 Mbps.

<h2>What is net neutrality?</h2><p>Net neutrality is the principle that all internet traffic should be treated equally, without any discrimination or preference given to certain types of content or websites. This means that internet service providers (ISPs) cannot block, slow down, or charge extra fees for accessing certain websites or content.</p><h2>What is the FCC and what role do they play in net neutrality?</h2><p>The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) is a government agency in the United States that regulates communication technologies, including the internet. They are responsible for enforcing net neutrality rules and ensuring that ISPs do not engage in discriminatory practices.</p><h2>Why is net neutrality important?</h2><p>Net neutrality is important because it promotes a free and open internet, where all users have equal access to information and services. Without net neutrality, ISPs could potentially control what content users can access, favoring their own services or those of their partners, and limiting competition and innovation.</p><h2>What are the potential consequences of repealing net neutrality?</h2><p>If net neutrality is repealed, ISPs could potentially create "fast lanes" for certain websites or services, while slowing down or even blocking others. This could lead to a tiered internet, where only those who can afford to pay for faster speeds can have their content readily accessible. It could also stifle competition and innovation, as smaller companies may not be able to compete with larger corporations who can afford to pay for faster speeds.</p><h2>How does net neutrality affect me as a consumer?</h2><p>As a consumer, net neutrality ensures that you have equal access to all content and services on the internet, without any restrictions or discrimination. It also helps to promote competition and innovation, as smaller companies have a level playing field to compete with larger corporations. Without net neutrality, you may experience slower internet speeds or have limited access to certain websites or services, depending on what your ISP chooses to prioritize.</p>

What is net neutrality?

Net neutrality is the principle that all internet traffic should be treated equally, without any discrimination or preference given to certain types of content or websites. This means that internet service providers (ISPs) cannot block, slow down, or charge extra fees for accessing certain websites or content.

What is the FCC and what role do they play in net neutrality?

The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) is a government agency in the United States that regulates communication technologies, including the internet. They are responsible for enforcing net neutrality rules and ensuring that ISPs do not engage in discriminatory practices.

Why is net neutrality important?

Net neutrality is important because it promotes a free and open internet, where all users have equal access to information and services. Without net neutrality, ISPs could potentially control what content users can access, favoring their own services or those of their partners, and limiting competition and innovation.

What are the potential consequences of repealing net neutrality?

If net neutrality is repealed, ISPs could potentially create "fast lanes" for certain websites or services, while slowing down or even blocking others. This could lead to a tiered internet, where only those who can afford to pay for faster speeds can have their content readily accessible. It could also stifle competition and innovation, as smaller companies may not be able to compete with larger corporations who can afford to pay for faster speeds.

How does net neutrality affect me as a consumer?

As a consumer, net neutrality ensures that you have equal access to all content and services on the internet, without any restrictions or discrimination. It also helps to promote competition and innovation, as smaller companies have a level playing field to compete with larger corporations. Without net neutrality, you may experience slower internet speeds or have limited access to certain websites or services, depending on what your ISP chooses to prioritize.