Forces with angles, Find the acceleration

In summary, the student attempted to solve a question about two forces acting on a 4.00 kg mass on a horizontal frictionless surface. They drew inaccurate diagrams to help with the calculations and made several errors in calculating the x and y components of the forces. The student was unsure if they had the correct answer and was advised to draw a more accurate diagram and stick to the conventions stated on the diagram.
plumeria28

Homework Statement

Two forces act on a 4.00 kg mass which is sitting at rest on a horizontal frictionless surface. One force is 6.50 N directed 55° West of South, the other is 7.00 N directed 25° North of West. What acceleration does the mass receive?

Homework Equations

sin = o/h

cos = a/h

tan = o/a

a = F/m

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew forces (not accurately) on paint (attachment) to help me solve this question then did the following calculations:

Fapx1
sin = o/h sin35° = o/6.5N o = 3.7N

Fapx2
sin = o/h sin25° = o/7N o = 3N [N]

Fapx = Fapx1 + Fapx2
Fapx = 3.7N - 3N
Fapx = 0.7N

Fapy1
cos = a/h cos35° = a/6.5N a = 5.3N [W]

Fapy2
cos = a/h cos25° = a/7N a = 6.3N [W]

Fapy = Fapy1 + Fapy2
Fapy = 5.3N + 6.3N
Fapy = 11.6N

tan = o/a tan = 11.6/0.7 tan = 86.5°

sin = o/h sin86.5° = 11.6/h h = 11.622N

a = F/m a = 11.622N/4.00kg a = 2.9 m/s^2

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
plumeria28 said:

Homework Statement

Two forces act on a 4.00 kg mass which is sitting at rest on a horizontal frictionless surface. One force is 6.50 N directed 55° West of South, the other is 7.00 N directed 25° North of West. What acceleration does the mass receive?

Homework Equations

sin = o/h

cos = a/h

tan = o/a

a = F/m

I drew forces (not accurately) on paint (attachment) to help me solve this question then did the following calculations:

Fapx1
sin = o/h sin35° = o/6.5N o = 3.7N

Fapx2
sin = o/h sin25° = o/7N o = 3N [N]

Fapx = Fapx1 + Fapx2
Fapx = 3.7N - 3N
Fapx = 0.7N

Fapy1
cos = a/h cos35° = a/6.5N a = 5.3N [W]

Fapy2
cos = a/h cos25° = a/7N a = 6.3N [W]

Fapy = Fapy1 + Fapy2
Fapy = 5.3N + 6.3N
Fapy = 11.6N

tan = o/a tan = 11.6/0.7 tan = 86.5°

sin = o/h sin86.5° = 11.6/h h = 11.622N

a = F/m a = 11.622N/4.00kg a = 2.9 m/s^2

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

problems:

Firstly, you have not helped yourself with your diagram.

"Your" 55o angle is smaller than your 25o angle, so when you got two x-components of 3N and 3.7N you did not recognise that at least one of them was wrong, as the x-component of the 6.5N force is way less than the x component of the 7N force. The Y components don't llok good either. You seem to have added the y components and subtracted the x ??

Last edited:
I said the diagrams are not accurate, I just drew them so it would be visually easier to do the calculations. And I added the y components because they were both going in the same direction (west) and subtracted the x components because they were going opposite directions (south and north).

plumeria28 said:
I said the diagrams are not accurate, I just drew them so it would be visually easier to do the calculations. And I added the y components because they were both going in the same direction (west) and subtracted the x components because they were going opposite directions (south and north).

But your diagram clearly shows the x components both going west, and the y-components going in opposite directions - North and South.

You need to draw a more accurate diagram and stick to the conventions you state on that diagram if you want to get anywhere with this problem.

I commend your use of equations and calculations to solve this problem. Your approach seems to be correct and your final answer of 2.9 m/s^2 for the acceleration of the mass appears to be reasonable. However, it would be helpful to include units for all your values throughout the solution, as well as a clear explanation of your thought process and reasoning. Additionally, it would be beneficial to double check your calculations to ensure accuracy. Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of how to solve problems involving forces with angles.

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration with forces at angles?

The formula for calculating acceleration with forces at angles is a = Fnet/m, where Fnet represents the net force acting on an object and m represents the mass of the object.

2. How do you find the angle of acceleration?

To find the angle of acceleration, you can use the trigonometric function tangent (tan). The angle of acceleration is equal to the inverse tangent of the vertical component of the net force divided by the horizontal component of the net force.

3. Can forces at angles cancel each other out?

Yes, forces at angles can cancel each other out. This occurs when the vertical components of the forces are equal and opposite, and the horizontal components are also equal and opposite. The net force in this case would be zero, resulting in no acceleration.

4. What is the relation between angle and acceleration?

The relation between angle and acceleration is that the angle of acceleration is dependent on the direction of the net force acting on an object. The angle of acceleration will be in the same direction as the net force, and the magnitude of acceleration will depend on the size of the net force and the mass of the object.

5. How does friction affect forces at angles?

Friction can affect forces at angles by creating an opposing force in the direction opposite to the motion of an object. This can change the net force and therefore the acceleration, as well as the angle of acceleration. In some cases, friction can also cause forces at angles to cancel out completely.