Guess Who Didn't Say it? Bonus Points for Knowing the True Story

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
In summary: You are not here to make the world small, but to make it great. As you come into your own, you will understand." -Steve Jobs
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The ground rules are to give a famous (or at least somewhat known) quote that really wasn't uttered, and definitely not uttered by the person it's attributed to.

That's important - that the quote wasn't really uttered by the person it's usually attributed to.

The object is to guess who the quote is usually attributed to. Bonus points for knowing the true story behind the quote.

Just to make the idea clear, I'll give the first quote (an incredibly easy one).

"Elementary, my dear Watson."

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sherlock Holmes?

Play it again Sam.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Play it again Sam.

What Rick really said was "Play it Sam"

To arms, to arms, the British are coming.

Jimmy Snyder said:

I think what Paul actually said was laced with obscenities so we can't print it here.

Gad said:
Sherlock Holmes?

Yes, but to get the bonus points, you had to name the story in which he didn't say it. :rofl:

The closest he came to saying this was in the story, "The Crooked Man":

"I see that you are professionally rather busy just now," said he, glancing very keenly across at me.

"Yes, I've had a busy day," I answered. "It may seem very foolish in your eyes," I added, "but, really, I don't know how you deduced it."

Homes chuckled to himself.

"I have the advantage of knowing your habits, my dear Watson," said he. "When your round is a short one, you walk, and when it is a long one, you use a hansom. As I perceive that your boots, although used, are by no means dirty, I cannot doubt that you are at present busy enough to justify the hansom."

"Excellent!" I cried.

"Elementary," said he.

All the parts are there - just not in the same sentence.

The world will end on Dec 21, 2012.

Jimmy Snyder said:
The world will end on Dec 21, 2012.

:rofl:

Jimmy Snyder said:

phinds said:
I think what Paul actually said was laced with obscenities so we can't print it here.

Longfellow didn't say this either, which kind of surprised me.

So through the night rode Paul Revere;
And so through the night went his cry of alarm
To every Middlesex village and farm,---
A cry of defiance, and not of fear,
A voice in the darkness, a knock at the door,
And a word that shall echo for evermore!
For, borne on the night-wind of the Past,
Through all our history, to the last,
In the hour of darkness and peril and need,
The people will waken and listen to hear
The hurrying hoof-beats of that steed,
And the midnight message of Paul Revere.

He never actually says what the message was.

Newman Hall came close to saying it though:

To arms! To arms! ye soldiers,
The trumpet call obey!
Arise from dreary slumbers
To watch, and fight, and pray.

Luke, I am your father.

SHISHKABOB said:
Luke, I am your father.

Darth Vader. (He didn't use Luke's name, which certainly tempted Luke to respond: "You talkin' to me?!")

"Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt".

It is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all.

King Kong

hahaha

It is better to have loved and lost a short girl than to have never loved a tall.

Veni, vidi, relinqui.

Caesar didn't say this because he won the battle

Last edited:
[itex]E = mc^2[/itex]

What he actually wrote was
If a body gives off the energy L in the form of radiation, its mass diminishes
by L/V^2 (V was the symbol he used for c)

F=ma

Seriously, he never said it or wrote it.

BobG said:
"Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt".

I've seen this attributed to Mark Twain many times.

BobG said:

zoobyshoe said:
I've seen this attributed to Mark Twain many times.

It's most often attributed to Mark Twain... plus to Abraham Lincoln, Confuscious, George Eliot... and any of them could have said it in private conversation, or something very similar, but none of them said this in any of their published works.

Its source probably comes from this:

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding." -- Bible, 'Proverbs' 17:28

On the early Civil War Winchester rifle:

That darn Yankee rifle that you load on Sunday and shoot all week long.

"Well, that escalated quickly"

Jimmy Snyder said:
[itex]E = mc^2[/itex]

What he actually wrote was
If a body gives off the energy L in the form of radiation, its mass diminishes
by L/V^2 (V was the symbol he used for c)

That's what he wrote in his 1905 paper. In 1929 he was quoted as saying conversion of much mass to energy was unrealistic. He did use E=mc^2 later.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."

This quote got misattributed to a famous man who quoted it in a speech:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. "

zoobyshoe said:
This quote got misattributed to a famous man who quoted it in a speech:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. "

Nelson Mandela. It doesn't surprise me that he wouldn't be the originator of the quote, since a famous person quoting a less famous person tends to link the quote to the person people remember (just like songs - how many people know the songwriter?). What surprises me is that he apparently never used this in a speech at all.

Who did say it? Marrianne Williamson in her book, "A Return to Love".

Williamson reveals how we each can become a miracle worker by accepting God and by the expression of love in our daily lives. Does that quote sound different based on who its attributed to and based on its context?

Last edited:
Okay, one that a famous politician actually did quote, even though the quote is not attributed to him (the politician also attributed it to the wrong person, which actually isn't surprising knowing the politician).

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.

Last edited:
BobG said:
Who did say it? Marrianne Williamson in her book, "A Return to Love".

Williamson reveals how we each can become a miracle worker by accepting God and by the expression of love in our daily lives. Does that quote sound different based on who its attributed to and based on its context?

I can't believe I actually knew that! I read that book when I was pregnant, and I recall I was really moved by that exact quote, "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure." Even as an atheist I find it very inspiring.

micromass said:
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
As Abraham Lincoln once said, "People are often misquoted on the Internet."

micromass said:

However, the printed word can always be trusted.

Therefore, my suggestion is for you to simply print the quotes you find on the internet. Once printed, they have to be true.

BobG said:
However, the printed word can always be trusted.

Therefore, my suggestion is for you to simply print the quotes you find on the internet. Once printed, they have to be true.
Lol.

micromass said:
"Well, that escalated quickly"

Andrew McGillicutty.

Earlier in the day, my daughter and I were on the escalator at the Crossroads Mall in Omaha when it suddenly stopped, leaving us trapped between floors. I yelled for help, leaving my teenage daughter caught in the unresolvable conundrum of whether to die of embarrassment or to die of laughter. Fortunately, we were rescued unharmed.

Andrew McGillicutty was the first person to use the escalator after it was repaired. Apparently, the repair was a bit too effective, launching him into a parabolic trajectory, right into the plate glass window of the Old Navy store. All of the sounds coming out of Andrew McGillicutty's mouth were completely incomprehensible, making it impossible to know what he was saying.

It was the escalator repairman, David Aircroft, that said, "Hmm, that escalated quickly."

(Okay, I admit I have no idea who didn't say it, but my teenage daughter and I really were once trapped between floors on an escalator at the Crossroads Mall.)

ANYWAY

People are unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered, LOVE THEM ANYWAY

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives, DO GOOD ANYWAY

If you are successful, you win false friends and true enemies, SUCCEED ANYWAY

The good you do will be forgotten tomorrow, DO GOOD ANYWAY

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable, BE HONEST AND FRANK ANYWAY

What you spent years building may be destroyed overnight BUILD ANYWAY

People really need help but may attack you if you help them, HELP PEOPLE ANYWAY

Give the world the best you have And you'll get kicked in the teeth,
GIVE THE WORLD THE BEST YOU'VE GOT ANYWAY.

found on a wall in a children's home in Calcutta and attributed to Mother Teresa
but was written by another

'www.paradoxicalcommandments.com/mother-teresa-connection.html'

Last edited:
"Sleep, those little slices of death: oh, how I loathe them."

<h2>1. What is "Guess Who Didn't Say it?"</h2><p>"Guess Who Didn't Say it?" is a game where players have to guess who did not say a specific quote or statement. It is based on a true story of a group of friends who would play this game during their lunch breaks and try to figure out who among them did not say a particular phrase.</p><h2>2. How do you play "Guess Who Didn't Say it?"</h2><p>The game starts with one player choosing a quote or statement and writing it down on a piece of paper. The other players then take turns asking yes or no questions to try and figure out who did not say the quote. The player who correctly guesses the person who didn't say it gets to choose the next quote.</p><h2>3. Can you give an example of a quote used in "Guess Who Didn't Say it?"</h2><p>One example of a quote used in the game is "I love pineapple on my pizza." The players would then ask questions such as "Do you usually order pineapple on your pizza?" or "Do you like sweet toppings on your pizza?" to try and narrow down who did not say the quote.</p><h2>4. Is there a winner in "Guess Who Didn't Say it?"</h2><p>There is no official winner in the game as it is meant to be a fun and lighthearted activity among friends. However, some groups may choose to keep score and declare a winner based on the number of correct guesses.</p><h2>5. How did the true story of "Guess Who Didn't Say it?" come about?</h2><p>The true story of "Guess Who Didn't Say it?" originated from a group of friends who wanted to spice up their lunch breaks at work. They would often play this game to pass the time and it became a popular activity among their coworkers. Eventually, the game spread to other friend groups and became a fun way to get to know each other better.</p>

1. What is "Guess Who Didn't Say it?"

"Guess Who Didn't Say it?" is a game where players have to guess who did not say a specific quote or statement. It is based on a true story of a group of friends who would play this game during their lunch breaks and try to figure out who among them did not say a particular phrase.

2. How do you play "Guess Who Didn't Say it?"

The game starts with one player choosing a quote or statement and writing it down on a piece of paper. The other players then take turns asking yes or no questions to try and figure out who did not say the quote. The player who correctly guesses the person who didn't say it gets to choose the next quote.

3. Can you give an example of a quote used in "Guess Who Didn't Say it?"

One example of a quote used in the game is "I love pineapple on my pizza." The players would then ask questions such as "Do you usually order pineapple on your pizza?" or "Do you like sweet toppings on your pizza?" to try and narrow down who did not say the quote.

4. Is there a winner in "Guess Who Didn't Say it?"

There is no official winner in the game as it is meant to be a fun and lighthearted activity among friends. However, some groups may choose to keep score and declare a winner based on the number of correct guesses.

5. How did the true story of "Guess Who Didn't Say it?" come about?

The true story of "Guess Who Didn't Say it?" originated from a group of friends who wanted to spice up their lunch breaks at work. They would often play this game to pass the time and it became a popular activity among their coworkers. Eventually, the game spread to other friend groups and became a fun way to get to know each other better.