How often to visit the dentist

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary: In Summary:The American Dental Association recommends visiting the dentist twice per year. British dentists recommend every six months.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In the past it was mandatory to visit the dentist every 6 months, in order to be covered by health care insurance. Nowadays it's not mandatory, but dentists still hold on to that interval (they earn money by doing so, of course).

I'm wondering what the guidelines in other countries are, do you get multiple checkups in a year or only every two years or so? I just realized that I didn't go for four years (busy schedule, time flies) and went to the dentist who said my teeth and gums are in perfect condition (and she wished everyone would floss and use toothpicks). Still she recommends to come back in 6 months?

Biology news on Phys.org
In the UK the recommended in 6 months. I wonder if there's anything behind that figure?

My dentist recommends every 12 months.

In my experience, in the US, an annual checkup is customary. If someone is prone to cavities, then perhaps a more frequent visit is recommended.

Apparently, the American Dental Association recommends visiting the dentist twice per year. In one survey I found, 62.5 % of those surveyed visit the dentist once a year, where 25% visit the dentist twice a year, and 12.5% visited more than twice per year.

The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry indicates the 6 months is the most common interval for a dental visit.
http://www.aapd.org/media/Policies_Guidelines/G_Periodicity.pdf

Last edited:
For kids it is usually 6 months. For adults, 6 or 12. I think I have unusually strong teeth because I went about 5 years between visits before going last year and had only one cavity.

I think if you properly brush your teeth and rinse your mouth out with water after you eat something, you won't really need to go to the dentist. I haven't been in like 5 years. I used to go every 6 months, but every time I go, the dentist told me how amazing my teeth were. I think I remember hearing the word "immaculate". So since I clean my teeth properly, I just have no reason to go.

My own schedule: dentist checks every year, cleanings every 6 months.

Regularly getting your teeth cleaned professionally is important! A hygienist doesn't have the training a dentist has, but he/she can screen for things like broken fillings - and of course, gum disease.

I don't enjoy the time I spend getting cleanings but I do it every 6 months.

Personal observation: yes dentists will sometimes try to sell you services. Some of my friends follow every recommendation their dentist says - and, frankly they tend to have nice teeth. Some take the "Meh, he's just trying to sell me stuff again" route, and they tend to have icky mouths. I try to take the middle road.

Yearly sounds good, I think I'll stick to that..

I've never seen a hygienist, although I hear people talking about it all the time.. I aways wonder why they need a hygienist (haven't they cleaned themselves properly?).

I'm a little unclear on that: in the US a hygeinist is just a dentist's nurse. You can't not see one: they are the ones who do most of the regular work!

leroyjenkens said:
I think if you properly brush your teeth and rinse your mouth out with water after you eat something, you won't really need to go to the dentist. I haven't been in like 5 years. I used to go every 6 months, but every time I go, the dentist told me how amazing my teeth were. I think I remember hearing the word "immaculate". So since I clean my teeth properly, I just have no reason to go.
Even though I've done it, I wouldn't recommend it. It is tough to find problems on your own, so it is a good idea to let a pro have a look every now and then.

I haven't been to dentist in 10 years (at least). I floss regularly, brush whenever my teeth even a bit "filmy", and I don't drink sodas or eat sweets. I have a fondness for cheese (home-made versions of pizza and macaroni-and-cheese), but I brush promptly after such meals. So far, so good.

Phosphoric acid and sugar in combination (soda, anyone?) are keeping dentists busy, IMO.

Every year!
My dentis's told me to remove all my wisdom teeth otherwise he won't fill my cavities since it won't be effective that much. Do you think he's right?

russ_watters said:
I'm a little unclear on that: in the US a hygeinist is just a dentist's nurse. You can't not see one: they are the ones who do most of the regular work!
What work? I can't remember my last cavity, it was before receiving dental braces about 20 years ago. The dentist filled it, the nurse is in charge of the suction device. Same for wisdom teeth extraction. About 10 years ago the dentist removed some tartar behind a permanent brace wire, that was before realizing the importance of floss.

Monique said:
What work?
Cleaning (regardless of if you do a good job yourself, they always give you a cleaning), initial check to see if you have cavities, x-rays if you need them, fluoride treatment if you need it. Typically my check-ups are half an hour with the hygienist and 5 min with a dentist.

It depends on the health of your gums and condition of teeth.

My ex-husband always had issues with his gums, so went every six months for cleanings. I have the worlds heathiest gums, but the worst luck when it comes to biting into objects that shouldn't be there like bones in lunch meat and pits in pitted olives. So I go twice a year for chipped teeth.

Lisa! said:
Every year!
My dentis's told me to remove all my wisdom teeth otherwise he won't fill my cavities since it won't be effective that much. Do you think he's right?

It is always better to be slow to remove teeth, because they support each other. When one goes, the others shift unpredictably, left or right, forward or back. That may be no problem for the dentist, who will happily build a retainer for you, but it may not be your expectation.

Lisa! said:
My dentist told me to remove all my wisdom teeth otherwise he won't fill my cavities since it won't be effective that much. Do you think he's right?
The cavities are in your wisdom teeth? Unless your wisdom teeth are causing serious problems, pain, impacted, there is absolutely no reason to remove them and not filling the cavities means the cavities may eventually cause problems such as the teeth breaking, infections, abscesses, etc...

Get another dentist.

russ_watters said:
Cleaning (regardless of if you do a good job yourself, they always give you a cleaning), initial check to see if you have cavities, x-rays if you need them, fluoride treatment if you need it. Typically my check-ups are half an hour with the hygienist and 5 min with a dentist.
Ok, I guess here it goes the other way around: the dentist searches for cavities, makes x-rays and does a polishing if necessary and refers some to a hygienist.

Lisa!, the wisdom teeth are prone to cavities because they are far back in the mouth and are thus harder to brush/clean. That's why dentists like to remove them before problems begin.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your insights.:smile:
I asked another dentist and he told me it's essential to remove hidden wisdom teeth.

Poor me:uhh:

etudiant said:
It is always better to be slow to remove teeth, because they support each other. When one goes, the others shift unpredictably, left or right, forward or back. That may be no problem for the dentist, who will happily build a retainer for you, but it may not be your expectation.

Yeah but I don't think wisdom teeth support any other tooth!

Evo said:
The cavities are in your wisdom teeth? Unless your wisdom teeth are causing serious problems, pain, impacted, there is absolutely no reason to remove them and not filling the cavities means the cavities may eventually cause problems such as the teeth breaking, infections, abscesses, etc...

Get another dentist.
No, they're not! They're hidden in fact but he says that they cause problems for other teeth and it's better to remove them 1st and then fill the cavities.
He's the best in my city.:wink:

Monique said:
Lisa!, the wisdom teeth are prone to cavities because they are far back in the mouth and are thus harder to brush/clean. That's why dentists like to remove them before problems begin.

Yeah,you're right. You know my dentist says that they damage their adjacent teeth.

I clean my teeth thoroughly twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. A few years ago I noticed that the hygienist was removing a lot of plaque from inside the front top and bottom teeth, which I had been neglecting, so I always pay special attention to those areas now.

In Switzerland dentists invite their patients to return every 6 months, even when there are no problems. I don’t see the sense of this. It’s like taking your car in for servicing every 6 months. The cost can be unexpectedly high and the dentist is a perfectionist. I say, don’t fix it if it ain’t broke!

Dental costs in Switzerland are very high and only a few people have dental insurance. They go every six months, of course.

Lisa! said:
Thanks!:)
I'll visit my dentist as soon as possible to remove them.
Get a second opinion lisa.

Wisdom Teeth Removal Often Unnecessary

Wisdom Tooth Removal: Surgery, Not a Rite of Passage

How controversial is it to remove wisdom teeth that aren't currently causing problems? Two dentists who spoke with WebMD agree that there's no reason to remove perfectly healthy wisdom teeth. Both agree that troublesome wisdom teeth should be removed. And both say that there has to be a medical reason to perform such a serious surgery.

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/news/20050505/wisdom-teeth-removal-often-unnecessary

I have a family history of weak teeth, so to save on cavity bills I go once every 4 months for a cleaning.

1. How often should I visit the dentist?

It is recommended to visit the dentist every 6 months for a routine check-up and cleaning. However, the frequency may vary depending on your oral health needs and your dentist's recommendation.

2. Is it necessary to visit the dentist if I have no dental problems?

Yes, regular dental check-ups are important even if you have no apparent dental issues. This allows the dentist to detect any potential problems early on and prevent them from becoming more serious.

3. Can I skip my dental appointments if I have good oral hygiene?

No, even if you have good oral hygiene, it is still important to visit the dentist regularly. Your dentist can check for any hidden plaque or tartar buildup and provide a professional cleaning to maintain your oral health.

4. What happens during a routine dental check-up?

A routine dental check-up usually includes a thorough examination of your teeth, gums, and mouth. The dentist will also clean your teeth to remove any plaque or tartar buildup and may take X-rays to check for any underlying issues.

5. How can I make my dental visits more comfortable?

Communicate with your dentist and let them know about any concerns or fears you may have. They can provide you with options such as sedation or numbing agents to make your visit more comfortable. You can also practice relaxation techniques and deep breathing during the appointment.