Time to choose upper level elective

• Thread starter leon1127
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the speaker is a Mathematics major looking to choose an upper elective related to their field. They have limited choices due to prerequisites and their background in statistics and applied Mathematics. Their goal is to obtain a Master's in Mathematics with a focus on system control theory. They are not knowledgeable about Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, but do have a basic understanding of mechanics in Physics. They are looking for an elective that allows them to apply their Math skills and have eliminated other options they do not like. They are seeking advice on possible electives.
leon1127
It is time for me to choose my upper elective. I am a Maths major and I want to choose my elective somehow relate to Maths. Due to prerequisite, my choices of upper elective can be chosen from econ, EE, CS, and phys. There is some information about myself, I am undergrad statistic and applied Maths major in UT Dallas. My education goal at this time is to get my master in Maths, and I think my research for master should be about system control theory. I personally don’t know much about EE and CS. I am only able to understand mechanic in phys, not so much in E&M. I would like my elective is something I can apply my Maths skill to. I have eliminated everything else that I don’t like. Can anyone give me some advice about this? Anything is appreciated!

Leon

Physics news on Phys.org
If they have some kind of mathematical methods of physics class you could take, that would probably be your best physics possiblity. It gives you an applied knowledge of how math is used for physics, rather than a bunch of abstract theory. I never took econ or much in the way of CS, so I'll leave that to those who took those (I was a math and physics major).

hard Euler once said, "Mathematics is the queen of the sciences." As a fellow mathematician, I can understand your desire to choose an upper level elective that relates to your major and aligns with your future research goals. It is great that you have narrowed down your choices to econ, EE, CS, and phys, based on their prerequisites and your personal interests. I would recommend exploring each of these subjects further to gain a better understanding of how they apply to mathematics.

For example, in economics, you can study mathematical models and optimization techniques used in decision-making processes. In EE and CS, you can delve into topics such as signal processing and data analysis, both of which are highly relevant to system control theory. As for physics, you can focus on mechanics and dynamics, which are crucial for understanding control systems.

It is important to keep in mind that your elective choice does not have to be limited to just one subject. You can also consider taking courses that combine multiple disciplines, such as mathematical modeling in economics or computational physics. These types of courses can provide a unique perspective and allow you to apply your mathematical skills in a practical manner.

Additionally, I would suggest reaching out to your professors or academic advisors for guidance. They can offer valuable insights and recommendations based on your academic background and research interests. You can also consult with graduate students or alumni who have pursued a master's in mathematics and have experience in system control theory.

Ultimately, the most important factor is to choose an elective that you are passionate about and will help you build a strong foundation for your future research. I wish you all the best in your decision-making process and your academic journey.

What is an "upper level elective"?

An upper level elective is a course that is typically taken in the later years of a college or university program. These courses are usually more specialized and advanced, and allow students to delve deeper into a specific subject area.

Why should I choose an upper level elective?

Choosing an upper level elective allows you to further explore a subject that you are interested in and can be beneficial for future career opportunities. It can also help to broaden your knowledge and skills in a particular area.

How do I know which upper level elective to choose?

It is important to research and consider your interests and career goals when choosing an upper level elective. You can also speak with academic advisors or professors for guidance and recommendations.

Are there any prerequisites for upper level electives?

Yes, most upper level electives have prerequisites, which are courses that must be completed before taking the elective. These prerequisites are typically lower level courses that provide foundational knowledge for the elective.

Can I take more than one upper level elective?

Yes, you may be able to take more than one upper level elective depending on your program's requirements and availability of courses. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to ensure you are meeting all requirements and staying on track to graduate.