Family Guy - Is it Sinking or Swimming?

• Thread starter cronxeh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Swimming
In summary: It's important to be critical and to question everything, but it's also important to have some fun. I think that is where South Park excels.
cronxeh
Gold Member
Did anyone notice that Family Guy is starting to suck? The last 5 episodes were getting worse and worse :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
I used to think that show was hilarious...but then it seemed like it just got stupid and I quit watching it.

Have they started to show the new ones yet? The last I saw they were still delayed.

I think I only liked it for about a season before I thought it got stupid. This can mean only one thing; Cronxeh is getting old and crotchety. :tongue:

I love that show! :smile: But they do have to start showing something new soon...:frown:

they had a few good episodes when they started...but that show is awful

wtf is wrong with you guys?? I've loved every episode I've ever seen! I watch it every night now. :approve:

Moonbear said:
This can mean only one thing; Cronxeh is getting old and crotchety. :tongue:
Or...Cronxeh is really Cartman ! :eek:

Gokul43201 said:
Or...Cronxeh is really Cartman ! :eek:

respect my authorita!

New Family Guy episodes start April 30th on [adult swim].

I'll pay the producers to not show family guy episodes if i had the money.

South Park on the other hand, is THE S**T!

Bladibla said:
I'll pay the producers to not show family guy episodes if i had the money.
You know that if you've lost the remote there should be some buttons on the TV itself that will allow you to change the channel.:wink:

I stopped watching all the new episodes. Still watch aqua teen though, still great.

TheStatutoryApe said:
New Family Guy episodes start April 30th on [adult swim].
lol, you said "[adult swim]" How do you say that anyway?

I don't like that Aqua Teen Hunger Force or something like that, or maybe its SeaLab. Oh yeah, I don't like either. :uhh:

TheStatutoryApe said:
You know that if you've lost the remote there should be some buttons on the TV itself that will allow you to change the channel.:wink:

Yes. But generally I hate family guy watchers, so I would still pay the producers to not show it, just out of spite.

Mk said:
lol, you said "[adult swim]" How do you say that anyway?

I don't like that Aqua Teen Hunger Force or something like that, or maybe its SeaLab. Oh yeah, I don't like either. :uhh:
You hold your hands up in the shape of brackets around your mouth as you say it.:wink:

I don't like most of the shows on [adult swim]. Most of the anime is boring except for Cowboy Bebop. Minoriteam turned out to be rather disappointing. I just watch Futurama, Family Guy, and The Boondocks.

Family Guy has its moments, but the novelty wears off quickly. It's a very clever show and has writing comparable to the greats, but unlike with the Simpsons (for example), I don't see much below the goofy surface.

As for South Park, it's funny and I have a lot of respect for it tackling so many heavy issues, but it gets awfully preachy sometimes. While most TV shows reinforce the dominant ideology, South Park usually seems to take the least popular point of view and then parades it around as truth. As deceptive as the popular media can be, this seems to me just as bad. There is such a thing as ambiguity, after all.

SpaceTiger said:
As for South Park, it's funny and I have a lot of respect for it tackling so many heavy issues, but it gets awfully preachy sometimes. While most TV shows reinforce the dominant ideology, South Park usually seems to take the least popular point of view and then parades it around as truth. As deceptive as the popular media can be, this seems to me just as bad. There is such a thing as ambiguity, after all.

What I find scary is the fact that I've discovered, err... FACTS because of South Park.

I thought the whole "AA is religious" was them ripping on AA as a joke for calling alcoholism a disease. I checked out the AA website... OH. MY. GOD. They actually say you have to let a higher power do the work!

SpaceTiger said:
Family Guy has its moments, but the novelty wears off quickly. It's a very clever show and has writing comparable to the greats, but unlike with the Simpsons (for example), I don't see much below the goofy surface.

I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing for a program to be for most of the time, consistent in its 'political' views if it has any. (Although, I would hate any person regarding South Park is political)

The 'idealologies' in SP shift as much as white colour shifts to black; personally, I watch it 5% for the 'political' content, and the rest for the comedy. Erik Cartman makes South Park a absolute joy to watch. Family guy on the other hand, just doesn't cut it. And I, actively spite people who do like it.

Bladibla said:
I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing for a program to be for most of the time, consistent in its 'political' views if it has any. (Although, I would hate any person regarding South Park is political)

Did you perhaps miss the scientology, cartoon wars, rain forest, Afghanistan, mormonism, or tobacco company episodes (too name but a few)? The show is more blatantly political than any other comedy I can think of, even "All in the Family". Whether or not it has consistent "views" is debatable, but the point I was addressing was the impact of the episodes on the general public, not the consistency (or lack thereof) of the logic from one episode to the next. Television plays a huge role in "culturing" today's youth and I think it's irresponsible to ignore the messages it sends.

For the most part, I support what they're doing. The show challenges the viewer in ways that no other show would dare to and I think this is healthy for keeping an open mind. I'm just questioning the means -- by being so extreme it may just be training its viewers to ignore the political messages and not think about anything but the comedy.

SpaceTiger said:
Did you perhaps miss the scientology, cartoon wars, rain forest, Afghanistan, mormonism, or tobacco company episodes (too name but a few)? The show is more blatantly political than any other comedy I can think of, even "All in the Family". Whether or not it has consistent "views" is debatable, but the point I was addressing was the impact of the episodes on the general public, not the consistency (or lack thereof) of the logic from one episode to the next. Television plays a huge role in "culturing" today's youth and I think it's irresponsible to ignore the messages it sends.

For the most part, I support what they're doing. The show challenges the viewer in ways that no other show would dare to and I think this is healthy for keeping an open mind. I'm just questioning the means -- by being so extreme it may just be training its viewers to ignore the political messages and not think about anything but the comedy.

Fair enough. The point I was trying to mention was the obsurity of SP 'policies' - there is too much differing opinions stated in each episode for it to be politically described.

Just out of curiosity, what is your fave SP episode? Mine has to be 'Scott Tenorman must die'

Bladibla said:
Just out of curiosity, what is your fave SP episode? Mine has to be 'Scott Tenorman must die'

That's probably my favorite too. :biggrin:

Scott Tennorman Must Die is by far the best...

That's the one with the bully in it?

come on Family Guy! the Simpsons went a good 8 years before it started sucking!

The movie is actually the reason why I stopped watching it. The movie sucks so bad that I didn't even want to watch the shows anymore.

the simpsons went on about 13 years beforeit started suckng...but they have some funny things now and then...Family Guy just sucks

yomamma said:
the simpsons went on about 13 years beforeit started suckng...but they have some funny things now and then...Family Guy just sucks

see the things that piss me off the most about family guy are:

1. constant usage of "like that time.." and then drifting off to some stupid insult on some celebrity or whatever (dont get me wrong sometimes those are funny - like Tony Robbings HUNGRY)
2. those stupid piano guys "play me off johhny" - like wtf?! they use those in almost every episode. sometimes they inject some other random character in the worst time.

Pretty much poorly written episodes, plot lines, etc. The original idea and the character development of Stewie is great, but the episodes just plain suck

I don't know, the newer episodes have had some really funny moments. Especially the episode where Stewie is a bookie and beats the crap out of Brian 'cause he didn't pay his debt.
Each episode isn't constantly funny throughout, but there are usually a good few funny moments.
But I guess it's a different sort of humour. I mean I don't like The Simpsons because I don't think it's funny at all, but lots of other people like it.
To each his own though I guess.
American Dad is pretty cool as well. Overall Stewie and Roger have to be the funniest characters I've seen.

cronxeh said:
see the things that piss me off the most about family guy are:

1. constant usage of "like that time.." and then drifting off to some stupid insult on some celebrity or whatever (dont get me wrong sometimes those are funny - like Tony Robbings HUNGRY)
2. those stupid piano guys "play me off johhny" - like wtf?! they use those in almost every episode. sometimes they inject some other random character in the worst time.

Pretty much poorly written episodes, plot lines, etc. The original idea and the character development of Stewie is great, but the episodes just plain suck

The thing about the show is that it was pretty unique at it's time. Now it's just old humor. They overuse/abuse a lot of the things that made it funny before to the point that it's just not humorous anymore.

The movie is a good example of that. Stupid ending, and the point that a lot of things were just plain overused.

1. Is "Family Guy" still popular?

Yes, "Family Guy" is still a popular show with a dedicated fanbase. It has been on the air since 1999 and has consistently maintained high ratings and a strong following.

2. Has "Family Guy" been cancelled?

No, "Family Guy" has not been cancelled. It has been renewed for multiple seasons and is still in production.

3. Why do some people think "Family Guy" is sinking?

Some people may think "Family Guy" is sinking because of a decline in ratings or criticism of its content. However, the show continues to have a strong viewership and has won multiple awards.

4. Is "Family Guy" losing its edge?

This is a subjective question and opinion may vary. Some may argue that "Family Guy" has become more repetitive or less edgy over time, while others may argue that it still maintains its unique humor and style.

5. Will "Family Guy" continue to air new episodes?

As of now, there are no plans to end "Family Guy" and it will continue to air new episodes. However, like any TV show, its future is dependent on ratings and network decisions.