A comparison of Homer's ethics vs the Bible's.

In summary, the conversation discusses the contrasting ideas of eternal life presented in Homer's Odyssey and the Bible. The speaker is against Christianity and raises concerns about the selfish motives of both parties in offering eternal life. They also mention finding contradictions in religious doctrines and express interest in discussing further through private messaging or possibly even a secret religious group on the forum. The conversation ends with a mention of potential repercussions for discussing religion on the forum and a desire to continue the discussion through other means.
flashgordon2!
In Homer's Odyssey, Odyssius has to deal with the seduction of eternal life with lots of women, but choses to go back home to his wife and son; this is what I got from watching it on sci-fi; I've yet to bye the time to read it myself even though I bought the Homer works awhile ago, but thumbing through them to check the story, the story sounds accuraite enough.

I find this Homer ethics contrary in contrast to what the Bible tries to do. The following link has plenty of references of Jesus and the Bible trying to persuade to believe in them based on eternal life and damnation if you don't.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/mt/int_list.html

I don't care whether Jesus supposedly said 'this is what will happen if you do not believe', it is all a mental trick like what I heard a christian try to tell me recently, 'believe, and you will believe.' Not to mention, with the heavy criticisms of the pagans of the christians of plagarisms and contradictions all through the christians(and old testament material) writings, the christians were in the mood sidestep their evil 'believe or we'll kill you', by saying it in a friendlier way.

How do these two philosophies compare? There is the comparison of taking eternal life or not as already indicated, but an issue here is whether Homer's idea that taking someone's offering of eternal life with lots of fun is such a good thing compared to the bible's? Homer is suggesting an evil person could be luring you in with sweetness, but really, the females have selfish interests! In a way, the Bible does have selfish interests - they for some reason are insecure if you don't believe in them. How do we know it isn't the Devil who is acting as Jesus in the New Testament offering eternal life and goodness?

Am I against christianity? Yes. Am I trying to find what I can about it? Yes. Have I found something; I've found so much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PF doesn't like religious discussions! :cry:

You're against Christianity, and so are you against others also? Islam, Hinduism?
Share with me some of the contradictions you've found so far. SInce this post will be probably delated before the dawn, send me a PM copy. I share with you what I've found against religions, just don't want to waste time if this thread will get delated. In case of emergency I'll PM you too :)

How about a little secret religious clan at PF? :tongue2:

if I have to, I've just made sure I can get back in touch with you; now, I want to write up some more stuff and hopefully post in other forums; and then! talk to somebody over the phone!

We can skype together :) How far do you live from NY?
Alright, waiting for your set of contradictions, hope it will benefit thousands :)

Good night, :zzz:

He's right about PF not liking religious discussions. Abstract discussions of ethics are fine - though they should go in value theory, not general philosophy - but no discussions of specific scriptural doctrines.

What are the main differences between the ethics of Homer and the Bible?

The main differences between Homer's ethics and the Bible's ethics are their origins and guiding principles. Homer's ethics are based on the values of Ancient Greek society, such as honor and bravery, while the Bible's ethics are based on the teachings of God and following his commandments.

How do Homer's and the Bible's ethics view morality?

Homer's ethics view morality as subjective and dependent on personal honor and pride. The Bible's ethics view morality as objective and based on God's laws and commandments.

In what ways do Homer's and the Bible's ethics overlap?

Both Homer's and the Bible's ethics promote virtues such as courage, justice, and wisdom. They also both emphasize the importance of respecting authority and fulfilling one's duties.

Which ethical system is more relevant in modern society?

There is no clear answer to this question as both Homer's and the Bible's ethics have influenced modern ethical systems. However, the Bible's ethics, with its emphasis on love, forgiveness, and compassion, may be seen as more relevant in today's society.

How do Homer's and the Bible's ethics impact the individual's relationship with society?

Homer's ethics focus on individual glory and honor, which can lead to conflicts within society. The Bible's ethics emphasize love and compassion towards others, promoting a more harmonious and peaceful relationship within society.