Troubleshooting a System Not Booting Up

In summary, the computer is not booting up and in the first stage it is giving the error L999999999999999999999999999999999999999. The next stage it is not detecting the IDE master or slave. It is possible that the BIOS is wrong and needs to be replaced. If the primary boot drive is the problem, it will not work on a spare PC or on a friend's PC. There is a risk that the whole hard drive will be deleted if the MBR is repaired.
heman
My system is not booting up and in very first stage ,,it is givng the error...
L9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

and it doesn't g any further...
and also it doesn't detect the IDE master and slave...
what possibly can be wong with it??

Computer science news on Phys.org
Sounds like a cooked BIOS. :(

can you suggest something?

heman said:
can you suggest something?

Oh, sorry, didn't get the meaning of the PM you sent me earlier.

I'm afraid a BIOS malfunction means the motherboard has to be changed for the computer to work. To make sure this is the problem, try switching your hard drives to a spare PC or a friend's PC. If they work fine, then it's the motherboard. If the primary boot drive is the culprit, it won't work on your spare PC either.

Good luck.

heman said:
My system is not booting up and in very first stage ,,it is givng the error...
L9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

and it doesn't g any further...
and also it doesn't detect the IDE master and slave...
what possibly can be wong with it??

Does it still show the screen with the computer/motherboard company (for example on a Dell it says "Dell" with a little loading bar)? If you are getting this, then BIOS may be okay.

The L999999999 error sounds like a LILO error, so I'm assuming you have attempted to install a Linux distro using LILO. http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...ror_Codes+error+L99&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2" may help, but if you are unable to do this, I would Google around for error L99.

Last edited by a moderator:
GluonZ said:
Does it still show the screen with the computer/motherboard company (for example on a Dell it says "Dell" with a little loading bar)? If you are getting this, then BIOS may be okay.

The L999999999 error sounds like a LILO error, so I'm assuming you have attempted to install a Linux distro using LILO. http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...ror_Codes+error+L99&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2" may help, but if you are unable to do this, I would Google around for error L99.

Good catch. I didn't expect the poster to have Linux installed on the computer. But come to think of it, it does sound more like a LILO err code.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i have previously tried to install Linux but the internet connections didn't work..the problem was actually the suitable kernel,,,

i was expecting everything to be of windows type since i removed the partition for Linux...

Now where to give the commands actually in this case...this is exactly Lilo error.

As you can see by the title, I am having a problem with the LILO boot loader, but I need to ask my own question because all the ones I've found on google and the internet are for linux.

I tried to install linux on my computer in August. I had slackware 10, and everything was working fine but I was having some trouble configuring the libraries and everyday was a headache with linux so I uninstalled it around feb. 7th. Unfortunately, LILO does not get removed with the installion and trying to uninstall it without linux installed was a "risk", so I just kept it (seeing as I didn't mind). Since feb. 7th, all the way up to this morning (may 6th) LILO has booted fine, Windows XP has booted fine and life was peachy, until this morning. I woke up, turned on the PC to check any mail before work and... BOOM, there it was.

Where LILO is supposed to load, it says L 99 99 99 99 and has about 200 99s, then it just stops and I can only press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to restart, where it just happens again.

So, I've gone online but all the problems seem to be upon install or uninstall of linux, what was done months ago. This problem doesn't seem to happen just out of the blue. I didn't touch the mbr, or any out of the ordinary programs, used any windows maintenance programs, or touched the computer's vital files yesterday. In fact, I spent my day online yesterday doing the normal things I do everyday.

Now, I have seen that the way to fix it is to repair the MBR, but there is a risk to this that could end up in deleting my whole hard drive. Does anyone know what happened, why, and how to fix it?l

1. Why is my system not booting up?

There are several possible reasons for a system not booting up. It could be due to a hardware issue such as a faulty power supply or motherboard, a software issue such as a corrupted operating system or driver, or a user error such as incorrectly connected cables or peripherals.

2. How can I determine the cause of the booting issue?

To troubleshoot a system not booting up, you can start by checking the power source and cables to ensure they are connected properly. You can also try booting in safe mode or using a bootable USB or CD to see if the issue is with the operating system. If none of these solutions work, you may need to run diagnostic tests or seek professional help.

3. What should I do if my computer shows a blue screen or error message when trying to boot?

A blue screen or error message during boot can indicate a specific issue with your computer. It is important to note the error message and any error codes displayed. You can then search online for solutions or seek help from a professional. It may also be helpful to try booting in safe mode to troubleshoot the issue.

4. Can a virus or malware cause my system to not boot up?

Yes, a virus or malware infection can interfere with the booting process and prevent your system from starting up. It is important to have a reliable antivirus program and regularly scan your system for any malicious software. If your system is infected, you may need to use a bootable antivirus program to remove the virus before attempting to boot up again.

5. What should I do if my system is still not booting up after trying all troubleshooting methods?

If your system is still not booting up after trying various troubleshooting methods, it may be time to seek professional help. A hardware issue may require replacement of a faulty component, and a software issue may require reinstallation of the operating system. A professional can also help in identifying the root cause of the issue and preventing it from happening again in the future.