How to Solve Integration Problems Involving Roots?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a square root in the numerator and a cube root in the denominator. The expert advises making a substitution, u = x^1/6, to eliminate the roots and then using partial fractions to integrate the expression. This will result in a solution that matches the answer in the textbook.
p4nda
I am stuck half way in solving this problem (the square root nominator confuses me) :confused: :
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/8459/1mi1.jpg

and I cannot get it to match the answer given on the back of the textbook:
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/7041/answerop5.jpg

Please teach me how to solve this problem. Thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First making a substitution would help, let u = x1/2. Then you can factor the denominator and possibly break the integrand into partial fractions.

The right substitution is [tex]u=x^{\frac{1}{6}}[/tex].

Thus we have:

[tex]
\int \frac{x^{1/2}}{1 + x^{1/3}} dx = 6 \int \frac{u^8}{1+u^2} du =
6 \int (u^6 - u^4 + u^2 -1 + \frac{1}{1+u^2}) du
[/tex].

WigneRacah said:
The right substitution is [tex]u=x^{\frac{1}{6}}[/tex].

Whoops, you're right about that, I missed that it was a cube root in the denominator.

Only to explain a little bit further. Of course, We then cannot use Partial Fraction if there are roots (square roots, or whatever) in our expression. So, the aim is that, we should make all the square roots, or cube roots in the problem disappear. And so, we choose [tex]u = \sqrt[6]{x}[/tex], or [tex]u ^ 6 = x[/tex].
We have:
[tex]u ^ 6 = x \Rightarrow 6 u ^ 5 du = dx[/tex]
So: [tex]\sqrt{x} = \sqrt{u ^ 6} = u ^ 3[/tex], and [tex]\sqrt[3]{x} = \sqrt[3]{u ^ 6} = u ^ 2[/tex].
All the roots now have disappeared.
We then can use Partial Fraction, and integrate it. :)

1. What is integration involving roots?

Integration involving roots is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve that contains square roots or other types of roots. It is a type of indefinite integration, also known as antiderivative, which involves finding the original function from its derivative.

2. Why is integration involving roots important?

Integration involving roots is important in many areas of science, such as physics and engineering, as well as in everyday life. It allows us to find the total distance traveled by an object, the total displacement of an object, and the total work done by a force. It is also used to solve problems involving rates of change and optimization.

3. What are the different methods for integrating functions with roots?

There are several methods for integrating functions with roots, including substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. These methods involve manipulating the function or substituting certain variables to make the integration process easier.

4. Can integration involving roots be solved analytically?

Yes, integration involving roots can be solved analytically, meaning it can be solved using mathematical formulas and techniques. However, for some complex functions, it may not be possible to find an exact analytical solution, and numerical methods may be used instead.

5. How can integration involving roots be used in real-world applications?

Integration involving roots is used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the surface area of a dome or the volume of a cone. It is also used in economics to determine the total revenue and profit of a business, and in biology to model the growth of populations over time.