Object Motion in 2D: Dimensions, Velocity, and Acceleration

• Thread starter ch00se
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2d
In summary: So just plug in 0 for t and you have your answer. The acceleration is given by \mathbf{a}= \frac{d\mathbf{v}}{t} But at t=0 we just need to take the derivative of the velocity. And to find the magnitude of the acceleration we just use the same equation as before but plugged in for acceleration. |\mathbf{a}|= \sqrt{\frac{d\mathbf{v}}{t}^2+\frac{d\mathbf{v}}{t}^2}If you go back to post number 5 by radou he explains exactly how to complete the question. The speed is the magnitude of the velocity and
ch00se

Homework Statement

the coordinates of an object moving in the 2D space are given by x=2t and y=4t^2. what are the dimensions of the numerical coefficients 2 & 4, respectively? What are the objects velocity, speed and acceleration and the magnitude of the acceleration at t=0. what is the angle between the velocity and the acceleration at t=0

Homework Equations

have been through my textbook god knows how many times and cannot decide which to use

The Attempt at a Solution

i have honestly tried for hours and haven't managed to get anywhere

however, for the dimensions i substituted 2 and 4 in respectively, but i doubt this is correct

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you meant y = 4t^2 in the second equation.

For the fist equation, what are the dimensions of x and t. Having found that, what should be the dimension of 2, for the equation to be valid?

neutrino said:
I think you meant y = 4t^2 in the second equation.

For the fist equation, what are the dimensions of x and t. Having found that, what should be the dimension of 2, for the equation to be valid?
edited, thanks

i got :

x=2 = 4
x=4 = 8

y=2 = 64
y=4 = 256

however, like i said, i doubt this is correct...or is it?

with those equations, should you put them together to get a y=mx+c styled equation?

i get y = x^2 and then go from there maybe?

ch00se said:

Homework Statement

the coordinates of an object moving in the 2D space are given by x=2t and y=4t^2. what are the dimensions of the numerical coefficients 2 & 4, respectively? What are the objects velocity, speed and acceleration and the magnitude of the acceleration at t=0. what is the angle between the velocity and the acceleration at t=0

You can write the following: [tex]\vec{r}(t) = x(t)\vec{i}+y(t)\vec{j}[/tex]. Plug the given functions in, and use the following relations: [tex]\frac{d\vec{r}(t)}{dt}=\vec{v}(t)[/tex], [tex]\frac{d\vec{v}(t)}{dt}=\vec{a}(t)[/tex].

ch00se said:
edited, thanks

i got :

x=2 = 4
x=4 = 8

y=2 = 64
y=4 = 256

however, like i said, i doubt this is correct...or is it?

Nope, it's not.

The DIMENSION of x is Length(L) and the dimension of t is Time(T). Now, what is the coefficient's dimension to make a physically meaningful equation?

Whichever textbook you may be using, the first or second chapter probably covers the topic of units and dimensions. Give it a read.

its adding vectors?

i think for x(t)

you put 2 into x=2t, so you get 4?

then for y( t)

you put 4 into y=4t^2, so you get 74 (4x16)

so r( t) = 4i + 74j ?

Last edited:
ch00se said:
its adding vectors?

i think for x(t)

you put 2 into x=2t, so you get 4?

then for y( t)

you put 4 into y=4t^2, so you get 74 (4x16)
Is WHAT "adding vectors"? Which question are you answering here?
t is the TIME, measured, say, in seconds. Why should the time be 2 seconds for x and 4 seconds for y? Those equations give the (x,y) coordinates of the point at time t seconds.

The first question, which I think you are trying to answer, asks "the coordinates of an object moving in the 2D space are given by x=2t and y=4t^2. what are the dimensions of the numerical coefficients 2 & 4, respectively?
What kind of UNITS should they have, not numerical values. In x= 2t, t will have TIME units, x will have DISTANCE units. Think of it as multiplying fractions: (Distance/Time)(Time)= Distance. That "2" factor must have units of Distance/Time (so it's really a "speed" factor), for example meters/sec if t is measured in seconds and x in meters, or miles/hour if x is measured in miles and t in hours.

Now look at y= 4t^2. Again, t is a TIME, y is a DISTANCE. t^2 will be Distance^2. To get Distance= ( )(Time^2), that ( ) must look like Distance/Time^2 so that the "Time^2" terms cancel and leave "Distance". The "4" must have units of Distance/Time^2 (so it's really an 'acceleration' factor), for example meters per second per second or miles per hour per hour.

HallsofIvy said:
Is WHAT "adding vectors"? Which question are you answering here?
t is the TIME, measured, say, in seconds. Why should the time be 2 seconds for x and 4 seconds for y? Those equations give the (x,y) coordinates of the point at time t seconds.

The first question, which I think you are trying to answer, asks "the coordinates of an object moving in the 2D space are given by x=2t and y=4t^2. what are the dimensions of the numerical coefficients 2 & 4, respectively?
What kind of UNITS should they have, not numerical values. In x= 2t, t will have TIME units, x will have DISTANCE units. Think of it as multiplying fractions: (Distance/Time)(Time)= Distance. That "2" factor must have units of Distance/Time (so it's really a "speed" factor), for example meters/sec if t is measured in seconds and x in meters, or miles/hour if x is measured in miles and t in hours.

Now look at y= 4t^2. Again, t is a TIME, y is a DISTANCE. t^2 will be Distance^2. To get Distance= ( )(Time^2), that ( ) must look like Distance/Time^2 so that the "Time^2" terms cancel and leave "Distance". The "4" must have units of Distance/Time^2 (so it's really an 'acceleration' factor), for example meters per second per second or miles per hour per hour.
thanks, that was a very useful post

i made sense of that!

for the velocity, how would you get a direction on the force?

also can you reach an answer or should the answer be displayed in equation format?

thanks!

If you go back to post number 5 by radou he explains exactly how to complete the question. The speed is the magnitude of the velocity and is given by using pythagoras' theorem.

[tex] |\mathbf{v}|= \sqrt{x(t)^2+y(t)^2} [/tex]

Of course its made rather simple by the fact that its all at time t=0.

Last edited:

1. What is object motion in 2D?

Object motion in 2D refers to the movement of an object in a two-dimensional space, which includes both horizontal and vertical directions.

2. What are the dimensions involved in object motion in 2D?

The dimensions involved in object motion in 2D are length and height, which are represented by the x-axis and y-axis respectively.

3. How is velocity defined in object motion in 2D?

Velocity in object motion in 2D is defined as the rate of change of an object's position in a specific direction, and is calculated by dividing the displacement by the time taken.

4. What is the difference between velocity and speed in object motion in 2D?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in object motion in 2D. Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only represents the magnitude of an object's motion.

5. How is acceleration related to object motion in 2D?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity in object motion in 2D. It can be either positive or negative depending on the direction of the velocity change. A positive acceleration means the object is speeding up, while a negative acceleration means the object is slowing down.