How Does Refraction Affect Apparent Depth in a Layered Liquid System?

In summary, the problem involves finding the apparent depth of the bottom of a beaker filled with water and oil when observed from above. The equation used is Apparent Depth= d(n(observer)/n(object)). The first step is to solve for the apparent depth from the oil level to the water level, which is 22.2 cm. Then, the apparent depth from the air to the oil level is found to be 32.856 cm. However, the total apparent depth is incorrect and needs to be adjusted. The correct equation is 20/1.48 + 20/1.48 = 35 cm, and the final answer should be less than 35 cm.
larkinfan11

Homework Statement

A beaker has a height of 40.0 cm. The lower half of the beaker is filled with water (n = 1.333), and the upper half is filled with oil (n = 1.48). To a person looking down into the beaker from above, what is the apparent depth of the bottom?

Homework Equations

Apparent Depth= d(n(observer)/n(object))

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe this is a two part problem, so I broke it down into that. First I solved it from the perspect of looking observing from the oil level to the water level and calculated this:

Apparent Depth= 20(1.48/1.333)=22.2

I used 20 as the distance between the water and the bottom because it was half of the size of the beaker. That may be incorrect, however.

I then used the apparent depth that I calcuated above to solve the second part from the aspect of looking at this from the air to the oil and calculated this:

22.2= d(1/1.48)
d=32.856

I then added the two together to get 55.056 cm as my total apparent depth, but the answer is incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The apparent depth should be shallower than the actual.

If the oil was not there, the depth would appear to be 20 + 20/1.33 = 35 cm. With the oil, what would it be?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
The apparent depth should be shallower than the actual.

If the oil was not there, the depth would appear to be 20 + 20/1.33 = 35 cm. With the oil, what would it be?

AM

I think I see what you're saying. With the oil there, the equation should look like this: 20/1.48 + 20(1.48/1.333) Am I on the right track?

larkinfan11 said:
I think I see what you're saying. With the oil there, the equation should look like this: 20/1.48 + 20(1.48/1.333) Am I on the right track?
Not quite. Just consider the depth of an object at 20 cm below the oil only. What would the apparent depth be? What if the oil extended to 40 cm? (hint: 40/1.48 = 20/1.48 + 20/1.48)? Now think of those last 20 cm in water.

AM

1. What is the "Apparent Depth Problem"?

The apparent depth problem is a phenomenon in which an object appears to be at a different depth than its actual location due to the refraction of light through a medium, such as water or glass.

2. What causes the "Apparent Depth Problem"?

The apparent depth problem is caused by the fact that light travels at different speeds through different mediums. When light enters a medium at an angle, it changes direction, causing the object to appear to be in a different location than its actual position.

3. How does the "Apparent Depth Problem" affect our vision?

The apparent depth problem can affect our vision by making objects appear closer or farther away than they actually are. This can lead to misperceptions and errors in judgement, especially when dealing with objects underwater or through curved surfaces, such as a fish tank or a magnifying glass.

4. Can the "Apparent Depth Problem" be corrected?

Yes, the apparent depth problem can be corrected through the use of mathematical equations that take into account the refraction of light. In some cases, optical devices such as corrective lenses or mirrors can also be used to correct the apparent depth of an object.

5. How does the "Apparent Depth Problem" impact the study of optics?

The apparent depth problem is an important concept in the study of optics as it helps us understand how light behaves when passing through different mediums. It also has practical applications in fields such as underwater photography and the design of optical instruments.