Professional Organizations

In summary, the conversation is about finding professional organizations within the engineering and science industry, particularly one related to physics. Some suggestions include the American Physical Society, American Institute of Physics, IEEE, AIAA, ASME, ASCE, SAE, ASM International, TMS, ANS, ASTM, and American Chemical Society. The conversation also mentions the existence of numerous technical societies for different focuses within engineering. The participants express their gratitude for the suggestions.
Cod
Does anyone know of any websites that have a list of professional organizations within the engineering and science industry? Particularly, I'm looking for an organization related to physics. I know of the major ones in mathematics (MAA, AMS, etc.) as well as computer science (ACS, etc.), but I don't know any organizations in physics, chemistry, engineering, etc..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about the American Physical Society - www.aps.org[/url] ? Or the American Institute of Physics - [url]http://www.aip.org/[/URL].

Then there are numerous technical socities like

IEEE - [url]www.ieee.org[/url] - Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.

AIAA - [url]www.aiaa.org[/url] - American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics

ASME - [url]www.asme.org[/url] - American Society of Mechanical Engineers

ASCE - [url]www.asce.org[/url] - American Society of Civil Engineers

SAE - [url]www.sae.org[/url] - Society of Automotive Engineers (which interestingly keeps the AMS specifications)

ASM International - [url]www.asminternational.org[/url] - for materials

TMS - [url]www.tms.org[/url] - The Metallurgical Society - for metals, mining, refining, and processing.

ANS - [url]www.ans.org[/url] - The American Nuclear Society

ASTM - [url]www.astm.org[/url] - American Society for Testing and Materials

I belong to several of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics: American Physical Society (APS), American Nuclear Society (ANS), American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT), American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM)

Engineering has the IEEE and along with a plethora of societies for different focuses within engineering.

Chem has the American Chemical Society (ACS)- only one I know of.

Thanks for the direction y'all. Much appreciated!

Astronuc listed some of them, but there are more (AREA, AASHTO, NAPA, NCAT, AISC, ACI, ...).

1. What is a professional organization?

A professional organization is a group of individuals who share a common profession or field of work. These organizations often provide resources, networking opportunities, and professional development for their members.

2. Why should I join a professional organization?

Joining a professional organization can provide many benefits, including access to industry resources, networking opportunities, and professional development. It can also help you stay updated on the latest trends and advancements in your field.

3. How do I find a professional organization in my field?

You can search for professional organizations online or ask colleagues in your field for recommendations. You can also attend industry events and conferences to learn about different organizations and their offerings.

4. What is the cost of joining a professional organization?

The cost of joining a professional organization varies depending on the organization and its offerings. Some organizations may have a membership fee, while others may offer free membership. It is important to research and compare different organizations to find the best fit for your needs and budget.

5. Can I join multiple professional organizations?

Yes, you can join multiple professional organizations. In fact, it can be beneficial to join multiple organizations in your field to gain access to a wider range of resources and networking opportunities. However, it is important to consider the time and financial commitments of being a member of multiple organizations.