Find Angle to Pull Toaster Cord for Min. Tension

• Thread starter pf21avs
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to determine the angle above the horizontal at which a 1.13 kg toaster, with a coefficient of static friction of 0.395, should be pulled on its electric cord to start moving with the smallest possible tension force. The free body diagram shows the tension force and normal force acting on the toaster. By setting up the equation for the tension force and differentiating it with respect to theta, the angle can be solved for to achieve the minimum tension force necessary for the toaster to start moving.
pf21avs

Homework Statement

A 1.13 kg toaster is not plugged in. The coefficient of static friction between the toaster and a horizontal countertop is 0.395. To make the toaster start moving, you carelessly pull on its electric cord. For the cord tension to be as small as possible, you should pull at what angle above the horizontal?

Homework Equations

FBD maybe a sum of all forces problem

The Attempt at a Solution

in my fbd i have come to the point where in the x direction i have Ff=Ftcos(theta) and in the y direction i have fn=fg-ftsin(theta), well i know i can substitute the fn equation for Ff=(mu)fn however once I'm done simplifying i get ftcos(theta)=(mu)Fg-(mu)Ftsin(theta). two unknowns and one equation, i went to the physics tutors office and he told me that fn disappears but when i asked why he just said its in the question and left me to myself, i feel as though i have expended all resources and was wondering if someone could help with this question pleasE?

note: i apologize for the lack of grammerical correctness

Physics news on Phys.org
A free body diagram is a good start. However, I believe this problem is solvable without all those equations--think about it for a moment. When is the tension force the smallest and the toaster still moving?

Consider what happens when the tension force is at an angle of 90 degrees to the horizontal. The component of the tension force that makes it move would be Ft*cos (90 degrees). Since cos (90 degrees) = 0, then no part of the tension force is making the object move, so the object is not going to move. Then consider what would happen if the angle of the tension force to the horizontal is 90...

Good luck. ;)

You have written the equation correctly. Next apply the condition for minimum T with respect to theta (differential of T with respect to theta = 0). Differentiate the equation you have already written wrt theta and in that put dT/dtheta = 0. Solve for theta. [Try. If still in doubt post again with the work done].

What is the purpose of finding the angle to pull the toaster cord for minimum tension?

The purpose of finding the angle to pull the toaster cord for minimum tension is to ensure that the cord is pulled in the most efficient and effective way possible. This will minimize wear and tear on the cord and prevent the toaster from becoming damaged.

Why is it important to find the minimum tension for pulling the toaster cord?

It is important to find the minimum tension for pulling the toaster cord because excessive tension can cause the cord to break or become damaged. This can result in potential safety hazards and the need for costly repairs or replacements.

How is the angle to pull the toaster cord for minimum tension determined?

The angle to pull the toaster cord for minimum tension is determined through experimentation and calculations. Factors such as the weight of the toaster, the length and material of the cord, and the force needed to pull the cord are taken into account to find the optimal angle.

What are the benefits of finding the angle to pull the toaster cord for minimum tension?

There are several benefits to finding the angle to pull the toaster cord for minimum tension. These include prolonging the lifespan of the cord and the toaster, reducing the risk of accidents or damage, and ensuring the toaster operates smoothly and efficiently.

Can the angle to pull the toaster cord for minimum tension vary for different toasters?

Yes, the angle to pull the toaster cord for minimum tension can vary for different toasters. Factors such as the weight and design of the toaster can impact the optimal angle. It is important to determine the angle for each individual toaster to ensure the best results.