Who really invented Liquid Paper?

In summary: If I had one guess, I'd go with Cotton.In summary, Bette Nesmith Graham is credited with the invention but she had help. Anyone know who and why she needed the help? Graham recruited an office supplier, a school chemistry teacher and a friend from a paint company to help her perfect her product which was becoming increasingly popular. Her son Michael and his friends helped fill bottles of Mistake Out with the whiteout in the garage. Graham had a good product, and renamed it Liquid Paper in 1958, but it was certainly no overnight success. She continued to work in the bank, managing the business after hours, making batches in her kitchen, packing and distributing from the garage.
jimmysnyder said:
This is not an issue in our case as the company has promised to pay us $1 for the assignment. We don't yet know if this means a single dollar for the three of us to share in which case there may be some ugliness about that odd penny. Or each of us will get our own dollar. It doesn't matter much since we have to go to headquarters in NYC to get the money and that means travel through enemy territory. I'm told the swamp gas in North Jersey kills people in Connecticut. I told the CEO that my name on the patent would make it easy to get my next job, and he agreed.

And how much does the gas money and tolls add up to nowadays to collect your $1 (each or collectively)? :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmysnyder said:
I hope there is no confusion concerning the difference between the inventor and the 'owner' of a patent. I am about to get a patent myself along with two colleagues. We are all employed under a 'work for hire' agreement. Although the company owns our work, the company is not mentioned as an inventor, only we three. Just yesterday we signed the assignment document. The patent office recognizes this as an agreement by the inventor(s) that someone else (the assignee) owns the rights to the patent.

Did the idea originate with you or was it given to you to develop?

There is another idea here. I don't know the current language or legality, but there is [or was] the idea of a pioneering patent, that effectively includes the concept as a part of the patent. This is only done for radically new ideas. One of my customers had a patent like for a magnetic drive for which they were entitled to some percentage of ownership in spite of future changes and improvements made by other companies. I would imagine that this applied to the first telephone and perhaps to the first mistake-out.

Normally, if one can modify an existing product by something like 10%, one can apply for a new patent or at least ignore the existing one.

Ivan Seeking said:
Did the idea originate with you or was it given to you to develop?
The invention really took all three of us. The idea came from one, the application to a particular area took another and the implementation a third (me). I relate this to the liquid paper case. Graham had the idea and the application, the chemist had the implementation (if he is to be believed). I didn't find out that the patent application had been made until sometime after it happened. To be sure, I don't feel as thrilled about this as I would if it was my idea. My colleague who had the idea probably could have implemented it himself if he had the time to learn the tools, but I was available right away and he knew I had experience in such things. If my name had been left off of the patent, I would never have imagined that I was cheated.

We don't work in a skunkworks environment where ideas can be pursued without suits getting involved, but the idea man does have some slack in his job description. The reason the idea came to be is that we had been tasked with looking at some documents and to come up with ways to organize them. I had made some progress in presenting the documents in a reasonable way, and the idea man kept asking me for changes for improving the usefulness of the presentation. I would say it was 50-50 as far as the ideas that were flowing at that time. However, it was he who had the big break-through idea that is the basis of the patent.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Well, I don't know what the truth is about who contributed most to the product ...
The objective history of the contributors seems always to be much more complex than the popular nutshell version. We see this all the time here: who was really most responsible for Relativity? Who really invented the radio?

We tend to experience history as stories in the same way we experience novels or movies and want for there to be a clear cut protagonist with which to ally ourselves emotionally.

Moonbear said:
She may have had the product idea, but it's possible the chemist actually made it happen. Though, as Ivan points out, if he did it under contract to her, and the contract specified patent rights, then he has no claim on it. On the other hand, if there was no stipulation of that sort, he could potentially claim inventorship if he has the records to prove it (and the contract might even help prove it), and sue...how strong his case is would determine if he could win or not (and how deep his pockets...he'd be battling some very well-established companies with some of the best patent lawyers at their beck and call).

AHAA! Moonbear has hit it on the head. The contract signed would have assigned all rights of any potential patent to her. He told the story that she was using off the shelf paint in an empty fingernail polish bottle and it kind of worked, but not good enough.

He had no claim on the patent rights or any of the profit it generated. He never indicated to me that he was bothered by that in the slightest. We used to use that example as a selling tool for our services... and it worked!

Remembering an old friend

Thinking of you, Bill.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/08/02/tech/main517290.shtml

I really miss Bill... and you would too if you knew him. He had a beautiful baritone voice and was always upbeat. He sang in the San Antonio Mastersingers for years and played the violin. He would have been a concert violinist but other demands intervened. He played the violin up until the time he injured his hands in a lab fire beating the flames out for a colleague. To me he was larger than life but still a good friend. His many technical accomplishments didn't really define him as much as his attitude and his winning ways. His favorite song was "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" and he didn't know why. He knew it was kind of a goofy song but he just couldn't get it out of his head.

I have a voicemail from him just before he fell ill that I still have on my phone. I just can't seem to erase it...

And now you know the rest of the story.

Last edited:
So, why did she need the help? What was the problem that he solved, and did it constitute a sine qua non?

The paint dissolved the type ink and produced a dark correction that was unsightly. It had to be corrected twice to make it look nice. And it took too long to dry. Bill bought every brand of typewriter ribbon sold around the world and found a solvent that wouldn't dissolve the ink on any of them. Then he formulated the paint around that solvent.

Of course, that is a new composition of matter and was therefore quite patentable.

chemisttree said:
The paint dissolved the type ink and produced a dark correction that was unsightly. It had to be corrected twice to make it look nice. And it took too long to dry. Bill bought every brand of typewriter ribbon sold around the world and found a solvent that wouldn't dissolve the ink on any of them. Then he formulated the paint around that solvent.

Of course, that is a new composition of matter and was therefore quite patentable.
Fascinating. He sounds like a very dedicated and intelligent problem solver.

He always had a jar of M&Ms in his office (provided gratis on a regular basis by a grateful company) that he handed out to everyone that came by. We also got free samples of clumping kitty litter from another company for 'quality control' purposes. It always seemed to clump.

chemisttree said:
He always had a jar of M&Ms in his office (provided gratis on a regular basis by a grateful company) that he handed out to everyone that came by. We also got free samples of clumping kitty litter from another company for 'quality control' purposes. It always seemed to clump.

It's hard to say anything but good things about anyone from Akron that likes "Tumbling Tumbleweeds", but this last post bothers me.

You know it clumped because :uhh:... I mean, you did test it with your pets, right?:confused: Hmm, Ivan's thread about the fly in the urinal, followed by Chemistree's post about the inventer of clumping cat litter...

BobG said:
It's hard to say anything but good things about anyone from Akron that likes "Tumbling Tumbleweeds", but this last post bothers me.

You know it clumped because :uhh:... I mean, you did test it with your pets, right?:confused: Hmm, Ivan's thread about the fly in the urinal, followed by Chemistree's post about the inventer of clumping cat litter...

OMG! You're not suggesting...!

ZZIIIPPPP! I'm all done here...

Cares of the past are behind
Nowhere to go but I'll find
Just where the trail will wind
Drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds.

jimmysnyder said:
Just yesterday we signed the assignment document.
Things are going swimmingly. The patent has been 'allowed' by the USPTO. The next step is to pay the patent issue fee. This should take place before May 29. Then it is expected that the patent will be issued about three months after the payment. The application was made in July, 2003.

chemisttree said:

Southwest Research Institute - so were you guys collegues?

GCT said:
Southwest Research Institute - so were you guys collegues?

My office was right next door to him. I miss the M&M's too.

That makes more sense - from the discussions so far it sounded as if you were an avant admirer rather than a close colleague. You must have learned a lot from working with such a talented scientist.

My condolences...

jimmysnyder said:
Things are going swimmingly. The patent has been 'allowed' by the USPTO. The next step is to pay the patent issue fee. This should take place before May 29. Then it is expected that the patent will be issued about three months after the payment. The application was made in July, 2003.

Congratulations, Jimmy! Five years is a little long to wait but it isn't unheard of. There must have been a lot of back and forth between your lawyers and the USPTO examiner. My most recent patent atty. likes to draw out the process (and increase her billing). I wonder how long my next atty. will take...

chemisttree said:
Congratulations, Jimmy! Five years is a little long to wait but it isn't unheard of. There must have been a lot of back and forth between your lawyers and the USPTO examiner. My most recent patent atty. likes to draw out the process (and increase her billing). I wonder how long my next atty. will take...
Thanks. The reason this took so long is that the main idea had already been patented in Australia. So even though our idea was original, we weren't the first to have this original idea. We made more than 120 claims, of which only a little less than 50 survived the process. A claim is like this: if you invented the teacup, you could claim it can be used for coffee too. If you don't make the claim, someone else can. And that is why we got the patent, we claimed things that they didn't.

chemisttree said:

My boyfriend is a patent atty, and from all his grumbling, it's the examiners that draw things out. On the other hand, he says that if a patent goes through too easily, you know you've done something wrong...like make the claims so narrow that they offer virtually no protection at all. It's sort of like a game of the Price is Right...you want to get as close as you can to the other patents without going over.

jimmysnyder said:
I would say it was 50-50 as far as the ideas that were flowing at that time. However, it was he who had the big break-through idea that is the basis of the patent.

so it was 50-50 between you three inventors? you are going to have a hard time splitting that dollar.

out of whack said:
I want to see YouTube clips of this used on a raucous crowd. It should be a riot!

It was a riot! Have you ever seen a General (or was that a Colnel) slip and fall flat on his rear guard? Priceless!
A special walker was designed to hold the tethered test subject slightly off the ground when they slipped. It didn't work as hoped...