Spring-loaded camming device

• Thread starter captnbunny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device
In summary, the project is to design a spring-loaded camming device for rock climbing that can hold a significant amount of weight and meets certain size and weight requirements. The device will be tested in both static and dynamic ways, and must only contact the inside walls of a 5cm wide, 30cm deep, and 40cm long crack. Researching existing camming devices is suggested as a starting point for this project. The materials to be used are not specified. The project is due in three weeks and assistance is requested.
captnbunny
For my final term project I am to build a spring-loaded camming device, like those used in rock climbing, that could be fitted inside a horizontal crack and hold as much weight as possible. The device, which must weigh less than 500g and be less than 20cm long in any dimension, will be tested in two ways:

Static test, in which weights are gradually added to the device
Dynamic test, in which weights are attached to the device, raised, and then dropped

The crack itself is 5cm wide, 30 cm deep and 40cm long, and the device must only contact the inside walls of the crack.

This project is due in about three weeks and no one in my class seems to have any idea how to do this. Could someone please tell me where to begin?

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
well, you're designing something that already exists, so why not start with researching existing camming devices?

What materials should I use?

1. What is a spring-loaded camming device?

A spring-loaded camming device, also known as a cam or a camming device, is a type of climbing equipment used to secure ropes in place on rock surfaces. It is designed to fit into cracks and other irregularities in the rock and provide protection for climbers.

2. How does a spring-loaded camming device work?

A spring-loaded camming device works by using a series of movable cams that expand and contract based on the size of the crack they are placed in. The cams are attached to a central stem and are held in place by a spring-loaded trigger. When the trigger is engaged, the cams expand and grip the rock, securing the device in place.

3. What are the benefits of using a spring-loaded camming device?

Spring-loaded camming devices are lightweight, easy to use, and provide reliable protection for climbers. They can be easily placed and removed, making them a versatile tool for a variety of climbing situations. They also have a wide range of sizes, allowing them to fit into a variety of crack sizes.

4. Are there any limitations to using a spring-loaded camming device?

While spring-loaded camming devices are a useful tool for climbers, there are a few limitations to keep in mind. They are not suitable for use in all types of rock, such as soft or crumbling rock. They also require some skill and experience to properly place and assess their placement for safety.

5. How should a spring-loaded camming device be cared for?

To ensure the longevity and effectiveness of a spring-loaded camming device, it should be regularly inspected for wear and damage. It should also be cleaned after each use and stored in a dry, cool place. If any parts are damaged or show signs of wear, they should be replaced before using the device again.