Angular Acceleration of at woods machine

In summary, an Atwood's machine is a system consisting of two masses connected by a massless inelastic cord that passes over a pulley. The acceleration of the masses (a) can be determined by taking into account the moment of inertia of the pulley (I) and the radius of the pulley (R). This acceleration can be compared to the situation where the moment of inertia of the pulley is ignored (a0). The tensions on each side of the pulley (FT1 and FT2) are not necessarily equal. The use of Torque and the relationship T = I * a(angular) = F*d*sin90 can help in solving this problem.
meganw

Homework Statement

An Atwood's machine consists of two masses, m1 and m2, which are connected by a massless inelastic cord that passes over a pulley, Fig. 10-70. If the pulley has radius R and moment of inertia I about its axle, determine the acceleration of the masses m1 and m2 (a), and compare to the situation in which the moment of inertia of the pulley is ignored (a0). [Hint: The tensions FT1 and FT2 are not necessarily equal.] (Use m_1 for m1, m_2 for m2, R_0 for R0, and g and I as appropriate.)

10-70.gif

a= _________

a(0)= _________

Homework Equations

T = I * a(angular) = F*d*sin90

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt at Solution: I was trying to sum the forces and use Torque but I have NO idea what Torque is or what the value of the normal force is. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Before you mark this as solved, does anyone know how to find the tension on each side of the pulley?

1. What is Angular Acceleration of a Woods Machine?

The Angular Acceleration of a Woods Machine is the rate at which the angular velocity of the machine changes over time. It is a measure of how quickly the machine is rotating.

2. How is Angular Acceleration calculated?

Angular Acceleration is calculated using the formula α = Δω / Δt, where α is the angular acceleration, Δω is the change in angular velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What factors affect the Angular Acceleration of a Woods Machine?

The main factors that affect the Angular Acceleration of a Woods Machine are the mass of the machine, the force applied to it, and the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How does Angular Acceleration differ from Linear Acceleration?

Angular Acceleration is a measure of the change in angular velocity, while Linear Acceleration is a measure of the change in linear velocity. Angular Acceleration is related to rotational motion, while Linear Acceleration is related to straight-line motion.

5. How is Angular Acceleration used in real-world applications?

Angular Acceleration is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the acceleration of vehicles on a curved road, determining the speed of rotation in machinery, and analyzing the motion of objects in space. It is also an important concept in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, where rotational motion is involved.