What is a lipoma and is it dangerous?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Mokae
  • Start date
In summary, the person is asking about non-cancerous lumps on their uncle's belly and is wondering if they are dangerous and if they are caused by cholesterol. The expert responds by stating that there isn't enough information to answer the question accurately and mentions that the person may be referring to a lipoma, a benign fatty tumor. They also mention that there is no correlation between obesity and lipomas.
Mokae
my fat uncle has some lump not cancerous lump around his beelly
they grow up as lump and I don'tnkow what they are called in Enlish but are they dangerous ? are they grow because colesteron ?

THANK YOU

Biology news on Phys.org
There is absolutely no way we could answer your question based on the little bit of information you've provided. All we know is it's not a cancerous lump...a lot of things fit that description.

Ok, I am sorry, no one with big belly around, some doctors told me that only those with fat body will likely have such lumps.
I don't have a big belly but stillhave some around kidney region, one is justbelow the lowest chest bone on the right side, many others are all around the the opposite at hte back.
Once I bend my body backward when my hands nearly reach the ground, everyone can see the lump up on the belly

You may be thinking of a lipoma, a benign fatty tumor. There's not really such a correlation between obesity and lipomas, so you may be referring to a different lump.

I have 17 of them, and I'm skinny as a rail.

1. What causes lumps to form in the body?

There are many possible causes of lumps in the body, including infections, inflammation, injury, and abnormal growth of cells. It is important to consult a doctor to determine the specific cause of the lump.

2. Is a lump always a sign of cancer?

No, lumps can have many different causes and not all of them are related to cancer. However, it is important to get any new or unusual lumps checked by a doctor to rule out any serious conditions.

3. How do doctors determine if a lump is cancerous?

Doctors may use a variety of methods to determine if a lump is cancerous, including physical exams, imaging tests, and biopsies. They may also consider the location, size, and characteristics of the lump to make a diagnosis.

4. Can lumps be treated?

The treatment for a lump will depend on its underlying cause. Some lumps may resolve on their own or with medication, while others may require surgical removal. It is important to follow a doctor's advice for treatment.

5. How can I prevent lumps from forming in my body?

While not all lumps can be prevented, there are some steps you can take to reduce your risk. These include maintaining a healthy lifestyle, avoiding risky behaviors, and getting regular check-ups with your doctor to catch any potential issues early on.