Calculating base voltage of an npn transistor

In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's attempt to solve a problem involving the voltage going into the base of an npn transistor. They were trying to build a circuit with multiple transistors and a voltage regulator to achieve a steady output current of 20 amps. The speaker was struggling to figure out the voltage drop through a resistor connected to the base of the first transistor, and was seeking explanations and help. The conversation also mentioned the use of Ohm's law and the relationship between collector and base currents in a bipolar transistor.
jearls74
i have been trying to solve this problem for about 14 hours and have gotten nowhere, I am trying to figure out the voltage going into the base of an npn transistor, I am trying to build a circuit where i can take the current from the battery and build a circiut from 7npn transistors in a common emitter mode and a voltage regulator, up to 20 amps of steady current at output. i can't seem to figure out the the voltage going into the base of the first transistor. i know it needs to be atleast .7 volts to turn on the transistor. I've used ohms law several times and only end up with what i started with, how do you figure the voltage drop through the resistor? how many volts are dropped when 12 volts are passed through a 470 ohm resistor? the 470 ohm resistor is connected to the base. any explanations would be appreciated. thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to post a schematic.

jearls74 said:
how many volts are dropped when 12 volts are passed through a 470 ohm resistor?
Since you already gave the answer, it's 11.3v to good approximation, assuming grounded emitter.

A bipolar transistor is a current device not a voltage device.
Ic = Ib Hfe over the linear range.

Hope that helps some.

1. How do I calculate the base voltage of an npn transistor?

To calculate the base voltage of an npn transistor, you need to know the collector current (IC), the base current (IB), and the current gain (β) of the transistor. You can then use the formula VB = VCC - (IC/β) to calculate the base voltage.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the base voltage of an npn transistor?

The base voltage is an important parameter in the operation of an npn transistor. It controls the flow of current between the collector and emitter, and is used to amplify and switch electronic signals in circuits.

3. How do I determine the current gain (β) of an npn transistor?

The current gain (β) of an npn transistor can be found in the datasheet provided by the manufacturer. It is typically listed as hFE or just β. You can also measure it using a multimeter in a circuit.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate the base voltage for a pnp transistor?

No, the formula for calculating the base voltage of an npn transistor is different from that of a pnp transistor. For a pnp transistor, the formula is VB = VCC + (IC/β).

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated base voltage?

The accuracy of the calculated base voltage can be affected by variations in the current gain (β) of the transistor, changes in temperature, and deviations in the supply voltage (VCC). It is important to use the most up-to-date values for these parameters in the calculation.